SVS PB12-Plus/2 Auto on question

C

Cavediver

Audioholic
I just received a new SVS PB12-Plus/2 sub and set it up according to the owner's manual. I set the Auto on switch to Auto. I viewed LOTR Return of the King and the system sounded great. The sub was working just fine with the Auto on switch set to Auto. While I switched the DVD to WOTW the Auto on switch on the sub shut off as its supposed to when the sub is not in use. However, when the WOTW DVD started playing the sub didn't come back on. I had to switch the power switch to on to get the sub working. Am I doing something wrong or is there something else not set right? The SVS owner's manual indicates that the sub might not come on if the receiver's sub output is set to low, but I can't figure out how to increase the receiver's sub output. The receiver is a Pioneer Elite 74 TXVi.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The sub output level is set during auto setup or if you manually calibrated the receiver using an SPL meter and test tones.

There should be a button on the front panel and/or remote to adjust the channel levels. Look in the manual for 'calibration', 'channel level', 'channel trims' or something along those lines to find the section that describes it.

Because the sub has its own volume control, the combination of the level from the receiver and the position of the volume control on the sub determines the level. It's usually best to have the level on the receiver >=0 to make auto-on features work reliably. (Auto-Setup may have set the receiver level in the negative range if the volume control on the sub is high).

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
I completely agree with MDS suggestions and would follow them exactly. Just to add, in the manual of my 5 year old HSU VTF2 they recommend using a one into two splitter so both inputs on the sub get a signal to help the auto on feature work when it should.

Nick

C

Cavediver

Audioholic
MDS said:
Because the sub has its own volume control, the combination of the level from the receiver and the position of the volume control on the sub determines the level. It's usually best to have the level on the receiver >=0 to make auto-on features work reliably. (Auto-Setup may have set the receiver level in the negative range if the volume control on the sub is high).
I have the sub volume set to the minimum setting and the MCACC set the sub output from the receiver to -9 dB. When I increase the receiver output to -6 dB the sub is too loud. It shakes the whole house. With the settings from the MCACC setup, the system sounds great. Its just not triggering the sub in auto mode.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
I have the sub volume set to the minimum setting and the MCACC set the sub output from the receiver to -9 dB. When I increase the receiver output to -6 dB the sub is too loud. It shakes the whole house. With the settings from the MCACC setup, the system sounds great. Its just not triggering the sub in auto mode.
Turn the receivers sub out volume to 0 then adjust the volume at the sub to balance the system.

cheers:)

C

Cavediver

Audioholic
MACCA350 said:
Turn the receivers sub out volume to 0 then adjust the volume at the sub to balance the system. cheers:)
Ok. I did that, but the auto on still won't function correctly. I'll be calling SVS in the morning to see if they can help fix the problem.

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
I had a similar problem. My subs would go to "sleep" and an explosion would trigger them to turn on, but by the time the amp clicked on, the scene was over. I also didn't want to have to turn them on and off manually everytime so I stumbled onto the perfect solution. I picked up a Monster HTS 2000 MKII Clean power strip a couple weeks ago and it has a switched bay on it. I just used the signal wire deal on the back of my receiver to the power strip so when I turn on my reciever, my dvd player, cd player and 2 subs kick on and when I turn my receiver off, everything shuts down....It works great, I just leave everything turned on and shut downt he reciever. Plus it looks cool and has superduper readouts of voltage and current usage:p

Brett

C

Cavediver

Audioholic
bmccord said:
I had a similar problem. My subs would go to "sleep" and an explosion would trigger them to turn on, but by the time the amp clicked on, the scene was over. I also didn't want to have to turn them on and off manually everytime so I stumbled onto the perfect solution. I picked up a Monster HTS 2000 MKII Clean power strip a couple weeks ago and it has a switched bay on it. I just used the signal wire deal on the back of my receiver to the power strip so when I turn on my reciever, my dvd player, cd player and 2 subs kick on and when I turn my receiver off, everything shuts down....It works great, I just leave everything turned on and shut downt he reciever. Plus it looks cool and has superduper readouts of voltage and current usage:p Brett
My sub cannot be powered through the receiver's output plug. The sub requires a dedicated circuit to power the amp. This sub is a monster and requires a lot of power.

Anyway, I think I solved the problem. I discovered the bass peak level adjustment burried in the receiver's operating manual. ( I can't figure out why Pioneer can't produce an intuitive operating manual?) There is no explanation of bass peak level in the manual; just instructions on how to adjust it, nothing about what it does. I had to find the information I needed to understand bass peak level or bass limiters online. The factory bass peak level setting was -60 dB, so the receiver was limiting the bass output to -60 dB which is inaudible. So after properly setting the bass peak level setting, the sub started working properly since the receiver is now sending audible bass to the sub.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis