Svs pb-1000 vs rsl speedwoofer 10s

Which is the better sub?

• Total voters
N

New_hifi

Audiophyte
I know this is a reply to the original question which is a few months old already, but I thought I'd just share my experience with these two subwoofers.
I actually purchased and compared both of these subwoofers.
I'm not an audiophile but I recently upgraded my Onkyo HTIB front speakers to the Kef 100's and matching Kef Q200c center, and after reading many of the reviews in these forums decided to upgrade my subwoofer as well.

My living room is 15' x 19' and open to the kitchen and entry hallway. And in my setup the Speedwoofer sounded better than the PB-1000.

Over a period of three weeks I did two pairs of back to back comparisons between the PB-1000 and the Speedwoofer 10s. I first did the sub crawl with Audyssey turned off (using each subwoofer just to make sure) and found that the best position for the subwoofers was just to the right of my left front speaker. I then hooked up the PB-1000, did the Audyssey calibration, and listened to it for a week. It was a clear improvement over my previous subwoofer and I think I would have been happy with it.

I then hooked up the Speewoofer, ran the Audyssey calibration, and listened to if for a week. I noticed that the bass had more impact but I wasn't exactly sure if I liked it any better at first. I also noticed that it made my living room shake much more noticeably than the SVS.

During the last week I went back to the PB-1000 and listened to it for a few days, and then back to the Speedwoofer and listened to it for a few days. I did the Audyssey calibration with each switch.

After this last back to back the bass from the PB-1000 just seemed duller to me. I even ran the Audyssey calibration twice to make sure that wasn't affecting the performance of the PB.
In the Despicable Me movie (I have kids) there is the scene with the rocket launch and the Speedwoofer really made my room shake, but in order to get the same effect I had to turn the PB volume much higher. In the end I just liked how the Speedwoofer sounded better. The bass seemed more clear to me. And I liked that I could physically feel it more. It also sounded better with music to me, particularly during the last few days of testing.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I know this is a reply to the original question which is a few months old already, but I thought I'd just share my experience with these two subwoofers.
I actually purchased and compared both of these subwoofers.
I'm not an audiophile but I recently upgraded my Onkyo HTIB front speakers to the Kef 100's and matching Kef Q200c center, and after reading many of the reviews in these forums decided to upgrade my subwoofer as well.

My living room is 15' x 19' and open to the kitchen and entry hallway. And in my setup the Speedwoofer sounded better than the PB-1000.

Over a period of three weeks I did two pairs of back to back comparisons between the PB-1000 and the Speedwoofer 10s. I first did the sub crawl with Audyssey turned off (using each subwoofer just to make sure) and found that the best position for the subwoofers was just to the right of my left front speaker. I then hooked up the PB-1000, did the Audyssey calibration, and listened to it for a week. It was a clear improvement over my previous subwoofer and I think I would have been happy with it.

I then hooked up the Speewoofer, ran the Audyssey calibration, and listened to if for a week. I noticed that the bass had more impact but I wasn't exactly sure if I liked it any better at first. I also noticed that it made my living room shake much more noticeably than the SVS.

During the last week I went back to the PB-1000 and listened to it for a few days, and then back to the Speedwoofer and listened to it for a few days. I did the Audyssey calibration with each switch.

After this last back to back the bass from the PB-1000 just seemed duller to me. I even ran the Audyssey calibration twice to make sure that wasn't affecting the performance of the PB.
In the Despicable Me movie (I have kids) there is the scene with the rocket launch and the Speedwoofer really made my room shake, but in order to get the same effect I had to turn the PB volume much higher. In the end I just liked how the Speedwoofer sounded better. The bass seemed more clear to me. And I liked that I could physically feel it more. It also sounded better with music to me, particularly during the last few days of testing.
My guess is that you liked the speedwoofer more because it has more headroom at 40 Hz and above. That is going to make it seem louder, regardless the the SVS' deep bass extension advantage. A more rigorous comparison would make sure the subs were level matched with an SPL meter or measurement microphone. I would love to see a shootout between the Speedwoofer 10, PB1000, Monoprice 10" THX Select, and Hsu VTF-1 mk3.

N

New_hifi

Audiophyte
I guess that could be. I noticed that when I ran my Audyssey set up the Speedwoofer volume level would get set to 0, while the PB-1000 would get set to +2. This is with both volume controls set to the 12 o'clock position during the set up.
I also played some bass sweeps (from you tube) and noticed that I could hear the PB at 25 hz but the Speedwoofer not until 30 hz (the bass steps were in 5 hz increments). But when I played the battle scene in the Lord of The Rings The Two Towers, where they blow up the wall, the Speedwoofer still had more impact.

D

Dazz Wryght

Audiophyte
The RSL Speedwoofer 10S is on my short list as it will definitely clear the WAF. Also, being $100 cheaper than the SVS PB-1000 is a plus.

My vote — for all it's worth — is for the SVS. The SVS Bill Of Rights is worth its weight in full range speakers

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis