SVS Make Killer Subs but are the Book Shelf Speakers Worth it?

Blue2kid3

Blue2kid3

Audioholic Intern
I wanted to upgrade my system OFC I am getting an SVS sub but I was wondering how the satellite and bookshelf speakers? Are they worth the money? How do they measure?

Any suggestions are great. I like Flat responses maybe a bit height on mid range. I don't care if I have to crossover at 150 or even 200HZ

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
There was a time when I would recommend the SVS Ultra bookshelf speakers (especially B-stock at $800/pr). However since then other speakers that sound better and cost less have become available!
If you want the reassurance of easy returns in case you don't like them, buy the Elac DBR-62 from Crutchfield (they give you 60 days and it costs $15 to return them) These speakers run $600/pr and to my ear, they are better than the SVS Ultra.
If you are willing to put faith in a stranger's (my) recommendation over the internet, I would suggest these:
However, be sure to discuss return policy with them, because they do not have teh type of "risk-free" policy of SVS or Crutchfield (I consider $15 and no shipping costs "risk free").

Either of these will work out very nicely paired with your SVS sub.
The Ultra is a very nice speaker, just no longer the best for the price!

Here is Gene's review of the Ultra:

bombadil

bombadil

Junior Audioholic
I wanted to upgrade my system OFC I am getting an SVS sub but I was wondering how the satellite and bookshelf speakers? Are they worth the money? How do they measure?

Any suggestions are great. I like Flat responses maybe a bit height on mid range. I don't care if I have to crossover at 150 or even 200HZ
Check out audiosciencereview.com for objective measurements and assessments of speakers. As noted by Kew the new ELACs are excellent and a tremendous bargain; Revel speakers are pricier but uniformly excellent, backed by double blind testing done at the Harmon facility.
You don't want to crossover at the frequencies you mentioned; the lower frequencies become directional and trust me it's a mess. Stick with 60-100; any decent bookshelf speaker can handle that crossover range.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I 2nd the Canton. One of the best tweeters I’ve heard. I’ve never heard the Elacs or SVS, but KEW has a good ear and would listen to his recommendations.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
SVS' Ultra line is very legit and I love mine. That said, I Kew is who pointed me toward them before he discovered the Cantons. I personally tend to trust his judgement so if he thinks the Cantons sound even nicer and represent a better value I'd check them out for sure.

The Ultras are very nice tho. Clean, accurate and not fatiguing. Plus you can't beat SVS' customer service. From my experience they're more than happy to continue taking care of me even well past warranty. They were willing to let me trade up after 3 years, even tho their tradeup policy is only for 1. Great technical support too. I had a very lengthy email with Ed Mullen recently where he looked at my charts, offered suggestions... good group over there.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
SVS' Ultra line is very legit and I love mine. That said, I Kew is who pointed me toward them before he discovered the Cantons. I personally tend to trust his judgement so if he thinks the Cantons sound even nicer and represent a better value I'd check them out for sure.

The Ultras are very nice tho. Clean, accurate and not fatiguing. Plus you can't beat SVS' customer service. From my experience they're more than happy to continue taking care of me even well past warranty. They were willing to let me trade up after 3 years, even tho their tradeup policy is only for 1. Great technical support too. I had a very lengthy email with Ed Mullen recently where he looked at my charts, offered suggestions... good group over there.
What @Pogre said ! I have heard his system and its a great sounding rig. I would have no complaints.
Often we analyze and split imaginary hairs when we are comparing systems. @KEW is pretty sharp so I would take his recommendation and give it a look too. The good thing is, there's no one single right answer. Most of the time there are lots of right answers

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis