SVS 13-Ultra Amplifier Upgrade Kit

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Does anyone know if the SVS 13-Ultra Amplifier Upgrade Kit "plate amp" can be purchased without owning a SVS sub at all? Might be interesting to use this plate amp on a DIY sub???

If not can I get some recommendations of amps/plate amps with DSP to look at? Dayton any good?

I currently own an Crown CE1000 amp I was thinking about using to power a pair of subs, maybe buying the miniDSP 2x4HD with it but it would seem easier getting a plate amp, or at least I think it would be??? Plus that crown amp I have is early 2000s OLD and I've put it through hell and back. I used to DJ back in the day.

Thoughts??????????????????????????????????????????????

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Does anyone know if the SVS 13-Ultra Amplifier Upgrade Kit "plate amp" can be purchased without owning a SVS sub at all? Might be interesting to use this plate amp on a DIY sub???

If not can I get some recommendations of amps/plate amps with DSP to look at? Dayton any good?

I currently own an Crown CE1000 amp I was thinking about using to power a pair of subs, maybe buying the miniDSP 2x4HD with it but it would seem easier getting a plate amp, or at least I think it would be??? Plus that crown amp I have is early 2000s OLD and I've put it through hell and back. I used to DJ back in the day.

Thoughts??????????????????????????????????????????????
Have you reached out to SVS to ask them?

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Not yet, just wondering if anyone's done it or had opinions of other plate amps first
I'm not sure they would sell people their amp plate. I could be totally wrong, but I just don't see them doing that. Plenty of custom subwoofer components on the web.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
So they replied and stated the following:

"they are only able to be used for SVS 13 Ultra Series subwoofers. They are not designed for being used in a DIY setting and are designed specifically for that cabinet and application . "

Not really sure how that works?? I mean its an amp, right? how could it be different. Anywho.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just going out on a limb, but if it contains DSP already programmed for that application, it would be useless for pretty much any other.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Just going out on a limb, but if it contains DSP already programmed for that application, it would be useless for pretty much any other.
+1 this. That amp is not a generic plate amp. It was made for the kind of response that the PB13 driver would have in the PB13 cabinet, and that is a very particular type of response. You can't change it without access to the DSP, and that probably isn't possible for anyone outside of the manufacturer. Sure, you could use it in other subs, but the frequency response and dynamic limiters would be all wrong.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
+1 this. That amp is not a generic plate amp. It was made for the kind of response that the PB13 driver would have in the PB13 cabinet, and that is a very particular type of response. You can't change it without access to the DSP, and that probably isn't possible for anyone outside of the manufacturer. Sure, you could use it in other subs, but the frequency response and dynamic limiters would be all wrong.
To this end, I remember the first time I learned about DSP Plate Amps was on Troels' website where he discussed using the Hypex Fusions and the associated program for managing the DSP feature. The MiniDSP ICEPower plate Amps are no different, really, but can be managed with REW.
For SVS, I would expect they do not want people accessing their DSP features and would not happily send along a copy of their DSP program. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I mean its an amp, right? how could it be different. Anywho.
As the others have mentioned... no. An amp is not an amp. At least a plate amp designed specifically for a driver and amp combo.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why hassle/complicate the build with a plate amp ? Use a rack amp with dsp if needed.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Thanks guys, I was just curious more than anything. Again I own a crown ce1000 amp but it's old and idk I think I should look at other options first and my old amp as a last option I suppose.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just because the amp is old doesn't mean a lot, if it works and meets your needs....

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Just because the amp is old doesn't mean a lot, if it works and meets your needs....
Yeah it works but it tends to be finicky. At times if a cable moves just right it'll shut off. I remember doing a gig and someone tripped over the cables. Ripped em out. Sooo yeah. It's been through hell. Not to mention I've used it a full tilt for many many shows.

It would get by I suppose but another issue is that fan is crazy loud. I should measure it in db. I'd guess it runs over 50db. Not as loud as my ps4 playing skyrim but not too far off either.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks guys, I was just curious more than anything. Again I own a crown ce1000 amp but it's old and idk I think I should look at other options first and my old amp as a last option I suppose.
No, the fact that the amp has withstood the usage you describe, means it is your best, and cheapest option. So make it your first option, and not your last, less you buy something that blows up in the first week, or worse just out of warranty.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah it works but it tends to be finicky. At times if a cable moves just right it'll shut off. I remember doing a gig and someone tripped over the cables. Ripped em out. Sooo yeah. It's been through hell. Not to mention I've used it a full tilt for many many shows.

It would get by I suppose but another issue is that fan is crazy loud. I should measure it in db. I'd guess it runs over 50db. Not as loud as my ps4 playing skyrim but not too far off either.
The noisy fan thing would be enough for me unless you have an equipment room to stuff it in :) Altho maybe you just need some connectors looked at/repaired. Crown XLS amps are very quiet....

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
The noisy fan thing would be enough for me unless you have an equipment room to stuff it in :) Altho maybe you just need some connectors looked at/repaired. Crown XLS amps are very quiet....
Yeah, that's kind of where I am with it. I don't have an AV room so it'll be right there in front of you. And you are right, a may need a little touching up to get back to 100%. I mean, it's a powerful amp but idk. I'd like to not spend any more than I have to but in the same I don't want to be annoyed by a fan or any issues.

I've got a lot to think on.

Again thanks to all of you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis