SVS 1000 series vs HSU vs Monoprice vs Goldenear SuperSub X

G

GodG

Audiophyte
Hello,
Im looking to buy a sub to my home cinema. i have gone through a ton of reviews and brands but im not able to reach a decisions.
My system is:
av unit - Denon AVR-2300W
front speakers - q acoustics 3020i
back speakers - q acoustics 3020

- From what i have read to get a good sub:
at least spend 500€
im able to spend 700€
- To my budget and location - Europe, SVS and Goldenear are some of the few options i have.
hsu and monoprice dont sell to Europe
- My Room has 4.2mx6.08mx2.5m = 64 cubic meters which is more or less 2260 cubic feet (25m2 or 270 square feet)
- from what i have read
Cinema -> bass-reflex
Music -> Sealed
12 inch sub recommended - 31cm - for my room size
300w minimum -> 500 to 700w recommended
minimum freq 20HZ

Considering the point above a store recommended me the svs 1000 (according to them more than enough) and other supersub x.
Could someone please point me in the right direction?

thank you

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Is your room open to any other areas or sealed off? That will make a difference as a sub "sees" all of the space open to the area.

SVS make fantastic subs and I would have no trouble recommending them. The 1000 series is their entry level, but still good, clean subwoofers.

Sealed subs being more musical is a common misconception. I've had both (a pair of SVS SB1000s at one time actually). A well designed ported sub will play music just fine as long as it is a well designed one, which the PB1000 is, and will perform better with lower bass frequencies. The only real advantage I see with a sealed sub is the size factor. They do tend to be much smaller.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hello,
Im looking to buy a sub to my home cinema. i have gone through a ton of reviews and brands but im not able to reach a decisions.
My system is:
av unit - Denon AVR-2300W
front speakers - q acoustics 3020i
back speakers - q acoustics 3020

- From what i have read to get a good sub:
at least spend 500€
im able to spend 700€
- To my budget and location - Europe, SVS and Goldenear are some of the few options i have.
hsu and monoprice dont sell to Europe
- My Room has 4.2mx6.08mx2.5m = 64 cubic meters which is more or less 2260 cubic feet (25m2 or 270 square feet)
- from what i have read
Cinema -> bass-reflex
Music -> Sealed
12 inch sub recommended - 31cm - for my room size
300w minimum -> 500 to 700w recommended
minimum freq 20HZ

Considering the point above a store recommended me the svs 1000 (according to them more than enough) and other supersub x.
Could someone please point me in the right direction?

thank you
The SVS PB 1000 over the golden ear super sub any day every day

G

GodG

Audiophyte
Thank you @Pogre for your explanations.
the room has a french door entrance that is always open.
according to you i should think a step above like the 2000 series?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you @Pogre for your explanations.
the room has a french door entrance that is always open.
according to you i should think a step above like the 2000 series?
You will want to factor in the additional space beyond the French doors if they remain open, yes. I don't know how much it might exceed your budget, but I'm wondering if a pair of PB1000s might be a better solution than a single PB2000. 2 PB 2000s would be a great way to go if you can swing it. How much more space are we talking about?

G

GodG

Audiophyte
@Pogre

Portuguese representative sells each unit for 600€ (PB-1000) , so it would almost double my budget . maybe if i buy them two the are able to make it 1000€

attached a part of my apartment with some dimensions.
the door opens to the corridor.

thank you

Attachments

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are BK Elec subs available to you? UK made....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
i live in portugal so im not sure due to brexit... i always considered them as entry level subs, but probably im wrong
I was wondering how brexit might affect that but I'd think currently there'd be minimal effect. The SVS and Golden Ear subs you're considering are also entry level. I haven't seen any third party testing of the Golden Ear Super Sub-X but I just can't get excited over tiny subs like that (unless you're in a small room/office perhaps) especially costing that much. They are very small, and sometimes that can be attractive to some; I don't have any size restrictions to consider for myself generally, do you have any particular restrictions on the sub size itself?

ps I think @tyhjaarpa has BK subs.....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Does Paradigm sell subs in Portugal? They are a major brand that makes good subs. XTZ has good subs and sells in Europe, maybe check to see if they have anything purchasable for you.

G

GodG

Audiophyte
@lovinthehd i dont have any particular restrictions. Some days ago i saw a second hand SVS PC-13 and was considering on buying it. But then, seller warned me about the size and after some measurements i changed my mind :').
i was looking for something around 50x40x40, dimensions near the subs you have shown me. much bigger than this would not be adequate for furniture on my room :).

@shadyJ
From what i saw the store which sells svs also sells paradigm subs. but i was not able to find prices.

Someone also recommended me XTZ subs but they referred me some liability issues on some subs and bad support issues. do you know something about this?
also arendale

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
@lovinthehd i dont have any particular restrictions. Some days ago i saw a second hand SVS PC-13 and was considering on buying it. But then, seller warned me about the size and after some measurements i changed my mind :').
i was looking for something around 50x40x40, dimensions near the subs you have shown me. much bigger than this would not be adequate for furniture on my room :).

@shadyJ
From what i saw the store which sells svs also sells paradigm subs. but i was not able to find prices.

Someone also recommended me XTZ subs but they referred me some liability issues on some subs and bad support issues. do you know something about this?
also arendale
The XTZ Cinema subs should be solid, as well as the Aurandal THX subs. Both are made by the same manufacturer. Other subwoofer lines from those companies may or may not have QC issues, but the Cinema subs from XTZ and the THX subs from Aurandal are going to be very good. Might be a bit expensive though. From Paradigm, look at the Defiance X series. Look at the Defiance X12 or Defiance X15, but are really good subs. Probably are't really cheap though, but the truth is, in your neck of the woods, no good sub is going to be cheap.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

@shadyJ

also arendale
That size (in inches fwiw for us that don't use metric, a bit less than 20 x 16 x 16) is what I consider a restriction when it comes to subs :)

G

GodG

Audiophyte
@lovinthehd
i was not aware of SVS and GoldenEar being also entry leve. cleary i dont no much about this issue :)
tried to contact XTZ, but still no response

@shadyJ
i was not able to find a seller for Paradigm subs, i will search a bit more

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis