SV Sound PB-12NSD Subwoofer Preview

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Guess SVS is back to using OEM drivers.
I doubt it. I mean, it doesn't really make a difference either way, but using OEM drivers would be odd considering all the money they've probably already invested into driver engineering/tooling etc. Of course, if they're having problems with the actual manufacturing process, it does make sense that they'd go to Danish drivers rather than deal with the build houses elsewhere.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
First thing I though when I seen the SVS NSD driver was that it looked familar and seen that its almost identical to the Peerless XXLS driver.

Peerless 835017 XXLS 12" Aluminum Cone 4 ohm: Madisound Speaker Store

I bet they are going to stick with the +drivers and Ultra drivers and let outside company make the lower end NSD drivers. I'm going to guess that its a money saving move, cheaper to outsource the part than make it in house.

As Gene requested I'm not going to continue about Axiom in this thread or respond to the AxiomAudio post in this thread either. I also am not going to start another thread about this, if someone else wants to discuss i'm all in but i've said my part on their forum and have been met with nothing but defensive and childish remarks and responses.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene, I'm sorry for posting on this thread after you had asked to reroute it to SVS again, and I understand if you need to move it. I won’t post again to it and my apologies to you and to SVS. I hope you will understand and accept my apologies.
Hi Amie, you are more than welcome to post on our forums, especially to address Axiom related questions/concerns. Looking forward to covering your new product releases. I think everyone is clamoring to seeing you guys come out with new stuff.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
I doubt it. I mean, it doesn't really make a difference either way, but using OEM drivers would be odd considering all the money they've probably already invested into driver engineering/tooling etc. Of course, if they're having problems with the actual manufacturing process, it does make sense that they'd go to Danish drivers rather than deal with the build houses elsewhere.
Look again at two features: the basket spokes and the bevel on the basket rim. No other driver looks like that.

Also, read SVS's propaganda, which is very similar to Tymphany's propaganda on the XXLS. Lastly, read between the lines of SVS's propaganda. When they use custom drivers, they like to trumpet that fact. Here, they trumpet having an "Exclusive SVS aluminum cone and composite dust cap***" What does that mean? The rest of it is an OEM platform.

Again, not that there's anything wrong with that. If anything, using the XXLS12 at that price point makes the sub a very good value. Well under the usual "5x parts cost" price tag one expects in speakers. Should they later on "update" the sub to use an in-house driver, the reason will probably be because the in-house driver will be cheaper, not better or even necessarily equal. The XLS/XXLS is a well-optimized, well-proven design.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
Look again at two features: the basket spokes and the bevel on the basket rim. No other driver looks like that.

Also, read SVS's propaganda, which is very similar to Tymphany's propaganda on the XXLS. Lastly, read between the lines of SVS's propaganda. When they use custom drivers, they like to trumpet that fact. Here, they trumpet having an "Exclusive SVS aluminum cone and composite dust cap***" What does that mean? The rest of it is an OEM platform.

Again, not that there's anything wrong with that. If anything, using the XXLS12 at that price point makes the sub a very good value. Well under the usual "5x parts cost" price tag one expects in speakers. Should they later on "update" the sub to use an in-house driver, the reason will probably be because the in-house driver will be cheaper, not better or even necessarily equal. The XLS/XXLS is a well-optimized, well-proven design.
They could get by with saying "Exclusive" I'm not aware of any other commerical offerings that use the XXLS. We also don't know if its a true off the shelf driver or a XXLS modified by SVS for what they want.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Hi Amie, you are more than welcome to post on our forums, especially to address Axiom related questions/concerns. Looking forward to covering your new product releases. I think everyone is clamoring to seeing you guys come out with new stuff.
Are you going to be reviewing and measuring any of the new product releases?

Ricci

Ricci

Bassaholic
The XXLS is a pretty durn good driver if it is indeed that or a variant.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
They could get by with saying "Exclusive" I'm not aware of any other commerical offerings that use the XXLS. We also don't know if its a true off the shelf driver or a XXLS modified by SVS for what they want.
It's not a "true off-the-shelf driver" simply because it has an SVS-specific dustcap. :)

And there are plenty of commercial subs using the XLS and XXLS woofers, Genelec's subs being one example. I can't think of one that was ever as inexpensive as this sub. Or, except for Gallo's old MPS-150 (which used a 10" XLS - flat backplate - variant in a much smaller and less-expensive-to-make cabinet with a much smaller amp) even in the same general ballpark.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Are you going to be reviewing and measuring any of the new product releases?
That is up to Axiom. We are very willing to give their products a fair shake like everyone elses, especially since we now have a subwoofer measurement protocol based on CEA testing and backed by the entire industry. By next year, we will have subwoofer reviews tested with our new protocol for every major manufacturer and it would be great to add Axiom to that list.

After we exhaust the subwoofer testing, I plan on doing the same with loudspeakers too :D

E

Ed Mullen

Manufacturer
The woofer in the PB12-NSD is a customized variant of the Peerless XXLS. We use a custom cone and VC to achieve the desired FR and T/S parameters. It's an excellent woofer, as others in this thread have already noted. We also use customized Peerless drivers in our M-series loudspeakers.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
Would this new NSD driver work as an upgrade to those who have the older PCi series like my 25-31PCi? I noticed before the site update that the new PB12 NSD had a picture of the newer driver but the PC 12NSD looked like the previous driver. Is this one used in the PC line too?

H

homwerk

Audioholic Intern
Would this new NSD driver work as an upgrade to those who have the older PCi series like my 25-31PCi? I noticed before the site update that the new PB12 NSD had a picture of the newer driver but the PC 12NSD looked like the previous driver. Is this one used in the PC line too?
I am also curious if the PC12 and the PB12 share the same new driver. So far, the PC series of subs meets the WAF slightly better than most for me.

mdanderson

mdanderson

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the info on this outstanding svs sub. I was wondering if you will be doing a review of the SVS SB13plus anytime soon. I was curious as to whether it would be certified as medium or large. I have a 2700cf room and I was hoping the SB13 would be adequate for that size. Thank you.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis