Suspended ceiling in HT room???

M

MikeSp

Junior Audioholic
In building a dedicated HT or media room in my basement, there is an issue with the ceiling and, with the exception of a few HT's, I suspect that nearly all of us must make some accomodations for various issues that make it less than ideal.

With potential needed access to water, drain and propane pipes, I would like to use a suspended ceiling -- one with fire-rated heavy gridwork and US Gypsum foil-backed heavy and recessed mineral-based 2x2 ceiling tile plus fire clips.

With all of the above, what are opinions that I will still get some rattling of the suspended ceiling when the room is pressurized from some fairly substantial subwoofage??? Thoughts -- opinions??

Mike

S

stato

Junior Audioholic
Hi Mike,
I used to be a ceiling fixer a few years ago and would be supprised if you got away without any rattles. Best to talk to a contractor about your requirements. I have timber ceilings and was getting rattles and hums so I spent an afternoon with a sub test disk tracking them down and getting rid of them. Good luck Stato.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
MikeSp said:
In building a dedicated HT or media room in my basement, there is an issue with the ceiling and, with the exception of a few HT's, I suspect that nearly all of us must make some accomodations for various issues that make it less than ideal.
With potential needed access to water, drain and propane pipes, I would like to use a suspended ceiling -- one with fire-rated heavy gridwork and US Gypsum foil-backed heavy and recessed mineral-based 2x2 ceiling tile plus fire clips.
With all of the above, what are opinions that I will still get some rattling of the suspended ceiling when the room is pressurized from some fairly substantial subwoofage??? Thoughts -- opinions??
Mike

As was noted, the low frequency will rattle most everything with enough power behind it. So, you can do what you are doing, just be ready to deaden or secure it better afterwards with a low frequency test disc. you will need one with a sweep or preferably one that has single tones covering the range as much as possible.

farscaper

farscaper

Audioholic
I'm using a suspended ceiling in the entire basement. The main room is used as our HT/music/play room. My wife and kids play music loader then even I do. I have yet to hear any rattles. Can't say that items on the main floor don't shake during the loudest subwoofer excercise, but nothing from the ceiling downstairs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis