Surround vs All Speaker (RX-V663)

A

Adrastea

Audiophyte
How do I switch my Yamaha RX-V663 from surround mode to All Channel Stereo?

I never selected a surround mode to start with, I figure it auto selects using the audio source signal and I can't remember the setting it chose. When I turn the Program knob to change the surround effect (or hopefully find an option to turn it off), it displays "Not Available". What scenario would listening to L/R stereo from all speakers be not available, it sounds ludicrous to me so I'm really confused.

Also, I have ordered a generic remote that may or may not work. Is there a way to enter the OSD through the receiver face buttons?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I'd see about locating the correct remote control somewhere. In the meantime, while playing the desired source, turning the program knob on the receiver should cycle it through the different sound modes until you get to the desired mode. If you cannot change modes, make sure Straight mode is off by pressing the button on the receiver next to the Program knob. With it off, you should be able to change sound modes. However, according to Yamaha, this model cannot change the sound field program for Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital+, DTS HD or anything higher than 96kHz. So, you would need to convert the signal to PCM from the source and then you can change the sound program in the Yamaha to achieve multichannel stereo modes.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry, forgot, few use them anymore, but changing sound isn't possible when using the multichannel analog input, either.

A

Adrastea

Audiophyte
Thank you, yes I was worried about the Multi Ch too. So I have DD+ AND Multi Ch so I'm really screwed. I think the firestick audio source is dictating these settings. I can try to go to the firestick settings to change that, but if I can't fix it that way is there some way to override these automatic settings? Really all I want is 5.1 All Speaker Stereo, surely there is a way to do that, it would be very surprising to me if it can't produce simple stereo sound.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some receivers have the ability to simply designate how you want a particular codec played back (my Onkyo can do that), or to "remember" how you like a certain codec played back from your last use (like my Denon)....altho personally would never set the default to multich stereo myself, but I can.....Yamaha has no such features? The Yamaha language for modes I'm not familiar with, tho....they do have some strange terminology.

A

Adrastea

Audiophyte
Also I've tried it with the Straight/Effect button both ways. BTW I've tried to upload an image of the receiver through the Image upload feature and the Attach files feature of this forum, but it said the file is too large. The file is 1.007 MB

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
See if the Firestick audio output can be changed to DD 5.1 or PCM. The Yamaha won’t let you change the audio program while it is sending DD+. You should be able to select other sound modes once you change the audio output of the firestick.

A

Adrastea

Audiophyte
Thanks for your reply lovinthehd. So they don't send a simple stereo signal along with the codec? That's odd, I wonder why. But even more curious is why no one but me listens to stereo sound. Am I the only one that plays music through my sources and want stereo sound? Or is there some other setting that everyone uses and I just don't know about??

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Also I've tried it with the Straight/Effect button both ways. BTW I've tried to upload an image of the receiver through the Image upload feature and the Attach files feature of this forum, but it said the file is too large. The file is 1.007 MB
If using a pc right click on the image file and take it to Paint (or take it there somehow) and there's a resize function. I usually find 30-35% works fine with my camera pics, others might not need that much. What would the picture tell us, tho?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for your reply lovinthehd. So they don't send a simple stereo signal along with the codec? That's odd, I wonder why. But even more curious is why no one but me listens to stereo sound. Am I the only one that plays music through my sources and want stereo sound? Or is there some other setting that everyone uses and I just don't know about??
5.1 all channel stereo isn't 2.0 stereo, tho, it's a bastardization :). I only find that mode suited for a party where no one can really appreciate the 2ch stereo image. Just listen in 2.0 (or 2.1) if you want the usual stereo experience, personally I prefer an actual surround mode (5 or 7ch) with some 2ch content, some I just play as 2ch. I believe the stream would have a 2.0 core but I like Treb's idea of simply changing output of the firestick to pcm if you don't want actual surround sound if Yamaha can't help you out with the format you want if its DD+

A

Adrastea

Audiophyte
Thank you Trebdp83, I think you're right and that should work.

lovinthehd, I also use that little trick to resize the image, I just didn't do it b/c I couldn't believe that 1 MB was the image size cutoff. The picture will probably tell you I've got the perfect storm of this $h!t ain't gonna work. Completely held hostage by the audio source. While we're at it, do newer receivers have this issue as well?

Attachments

A

Adrastea

Audiophyte
5.1 all channel stereo isn't 2.0 stereo, tho, it's a bastardization :). I only find that mode suited for a party where no one can really appreciate the 2ch stereo image. Just listen in 2.0 (or 2.1) if you want the usual stereo experience, personally I prefer an actual surround mode (5 or 7ch) with some 2ch content, some I just play as 2ch. I believe the stream would have a 2.0 core but I like Treb's idea of simply changing output of the firestick to pcm if you don't want actual surround sound if Yamaha can't help you out with the format you want if its DD+
Well I guess that makes sense, the center channel pretty much prevents stereo sound I guess. And I can appreciate the 2.1 setup with some quality tunes. But sometimes (most times really) I just want music to flow at even levels out of all speakers. Especially if they're small speakers like these are. It's actually a friend's setup, but I've dealt with these problems over the years myself.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's more a matter of preference I suppose, and some just like to "use" the surround speakers at a higher level even if it interferes acoustically. The L/R signal is summed to the center in using all ch stereo, tho that's not the only thing that's getting in the way of proper imaging....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you Trebdp83, I think you're right and that should work.

lovinthehd, I also use that little trick to resize the image, I just didn't do it b/c I couldn't believe that 1 MB was the image size cutoff. The picture will probably tell you I've got the perfect storm of this $h!t ain't gonna work. Completely held hostage by the audio source. While we're at it, do newer receivers have this issue as well?
Yeah I forget what the size limit is, but it's not as big as 1MB am pretty sure it's half that or less.....that info is somewhere around but not sure where particularly at the moment....

Seems proper if you input DD+ that straight mode should play it as-is....but this is where I lose it with Yamaha terminology (I think it's along the lines of direct modes in other brands but not positive :) ). Don't know about Yamaha particularly but think Denon/Marantz gear still has that playback choice if desired.....not sure about current Onkyo units (mine is older, back when they still used Audyssey). Sometimes you just need to look in the manual at what choices are options with a given type of input....

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Some receivers have the ability to simply designate how you want a particular codec played back (my Onkyo can do that), or to "remember" how you like a certain codec played back from your last use (like my Denon)....altho personally would never set the default to multich stereo myself, but I can.....Yamaha has no such features? The Yamaha language for modes I'm not familiar with, tho....they do have some strange terminology.
My Yamaha we’ll keep the last mode used for each input for streaming apps and Blu-ray movies it can choose a sound field per the type of movies si-fi or action usb iTunes etc .

A

Adrastea

Audiophyte
Yes I've been trying to "decipher" the manual, it's organized very strangely. For instance, it talks a lot about the OSD but never really tells you how to get into it. More like, if you want to configure this feature press that button and the OSD will appear with a menu for relevant features. Thanks for your time and expertise. I am wondering though, you mentioned direct modes and that reminded me of Pure Direct. Is that something that would help?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes I've been trying to "decipher" the manual, it's organized very strangely. For instance, it talks a lot about the OSD but never really tells you how to get into it. More like, if you want to configure this feature press that button and the OSD will appear with a menu for relevant features. Thanks for your time and expertise. I am wondering though, you mentioned direct modes and that reminded me of Pure Direct. Is that something that would help?
I just took a DD+ signal, put my Denon in "direct" mode and it still allowed me to change to multi-ch stereo (which surprised me a bit but don't often use the direct mode either). Don't know what your Yamaha's options are, tho. Maybe @Mark E. Long can confirm how to get yours to do what you want from his post....

Not sure what pure direct in Yamaha speak means, tho.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Every receiver is different. Older models from the same line may have limitations from newer models. Dolby codecs and processing change and the sound modes listeners are allowed to apply to different codecs change as well. The Yamaha in question does not allow different sound modes for certain codecs. All channel stereo and other sound modes will only be achieved with a PCM or DD signal. Pure Direct mode plays the signal back untouched and turns off display of unit and signal to TV on some models. So, whatever the signal is, that is what you get with no processing of audio. This will knock out a sub if it is a two channel track. In newer models, a DD+ track can be played in direct mode and one will get the 5.1 or 7.1 track in the designated channels without any upmixing. Other modes can be used as well but things get more restrictive if it is an atmos track depending on the model. Changing to PCM when available allows for more mode selections in general.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Every receiver is different. Older models from the same line may have limitations from newer models. Dolby codecs and processing change and the sound modes listeners are allowed to apply to different codecs change as well. The Yamaha in question does not allow different sound modes for certain codecs. All channel stereo and other sound modes will only be achieved with a PCM or DD signal. Pure Direct mode plays the signal back untouched and turns off display of unit and signal to TV on some models. So, whatever the signal is, that is what you get with no processing of audio. This will knock out a sub if it is a two channel track. In newer models, a DD+ track can be played in direct mode and one will get the 5.1 or 7.1 track in the designated channels without any upmixing. Other modes can be used as well but things get more restrictive if it is an atmos track depending on the model. Changing to PCM when available allows for more mode selections in general.
You can still do the pcm input and get use of the sub if desired, tho?

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I just took a DD+ signal, put my Denon in "direct" mode and it still allowed me to change to multi-ch stereo (which surprised me a bit but don't often use the direct mode either). Don't know what your Yamaha's options are, tho. Maybe @Mark E. Long can confirm how to get yours to do what you want from his post....

Not sure what pure direct in Yamaha speak means, tho.
It may be model dependent I mainly run mine in standard mode with out the overblown spectacle, or SI-FI modes or some of the others but you have to watch when you put a movie in cause it does pick an odd sound field sometimes I manly just use the standard mode with very little processing or the concert one for Blu-ray concerts .
Now mine picks it on on the codecs in the movie I don’t think there’s a settings or anything this is a flagship avr and only they may have that but I think most have the ability to remember what was used on each input I could be wrong tho .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis