Surround speakers matching to L/C/R

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I have Focal Chorus L/C/R and I picked up a Denon 7.1 receiver cheap. I know the biggest improvement is a sub. How important is matching side and rear speakers? Locally someone has a Martin Logan MLT-2 surround package for sale for cheap. The sub could be a good temp, how well would the surrounds work with my L/C/R? Does it matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not very important for surrounds generally for movies, the most important to match are the mains; I think for multich music it's more important to have more capable speakers, but not critical. The MLT-2 speakers would likely be fine with your Focals generally. I'd concentrate on a good sub and not worry so much about the surrounds.

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
I would match the LCR. Then match the side and rear surrounds. If you can do all 7, that's fine but not as critical. Just don't make them drastically different. Just my opinion.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with Lovin' on this... Though if 5-channel audio mixes are your jam, and matching the front 3 is important for movies, it only stands to reason that getting the voicing to match between your Surrounds+Front-3 should be a consideration. This is what I did in my rig. Rears and Atmos should be capable, but less so than presenting a coordinated 5 channels for true 5.1 encoded audio.
If that isn't your jam... then I usually look to have Surrounds and Rears match themselves, and Atmos match themselves, but not necessarily match so precisely with the L/C/R. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis