Surround speakers being close to couch

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
I have a dedicated theatre. I originally had a 7.2. Then moved to 7.4.4 atoms, but what I didn’t realize is my surround and rears are too high. My couch is about 7 feet from rear wall, 3 ft from left wall, 5 ft from right wall. I think the separation from surrounds, rears and my back atmos in ceiling are just too close for a nice separation. So I want to lower my surrounds and rears.. the rears are paradigm bookshelf speakers, on mounts, so moving them down isn’t a big deal. My issue is surrounds. I’ve been using the paradigm dipoile but debating on moving to paradigms surround 1 v7 speaker or another bookshelf. I know they recommend direct for atmos but I’m worried with a bookshelf by the time it’s on the wall the speaker will be just over 2 ft from ear level from the person sitting on the left side of the couch (the wife). So should I do bookshelf or stick with bi pole? Also height. If I put them at ear level what about when I’m in the middle of the couch and her head is blocking the straight line from the speaker to my ear? Should I keep the speaker so that my ears have a clear un obstructed view of the speaker?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis