Surround speaker placement.

1tribeca

Audioholic
Uh-oh! I think I messed up! I had some pre-wiring done in my den before the drywall went up. I had the guys leave a set of speaker wires (L & R) high on the wall...the back wall of the room...ready for surround speaks when the time comes.

I did this in haste not thinking that they surrounds should be on the side walls facing each other!!

Although, this would be near impossible because I have a sliding patio door on one side making speaker installation NFG!

Can I still use a pair of surrounds on the back wall? Same type of speaks one would use in the side wall set up?

Thanks folks!

John

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
1tribeca said:
Can I still use a pair of surrounds on the back wall?
yes, provided thay are far enough back. that's how I have my system set-up, thay are monopoles about 15' from the listening position facing my couch.

1tribeca said:
Same type of speaks one would use in the side wall set up?
yes.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Effect wouldn't be as good for a 7.1 setup though.

1tribeca

Audioholic
Surround speaker placement

Cool thanks peeps! So, a monopole speaker is more desirable? Any suggestions? I have Boston VR975s up front...nothing centre yet...hoping to find a VR920 somewhere!

Thanks again.

no. 5

no. 5

Seth=L said:
Effect wouldn't be as good for a 7.1 setup though.
(thoughtfully scratchs chin)

mm... yes.
for a 7.1 set-up you would need speakers to your sides for the best affect (but mine is 6.1, so it works out).

no. 5

no. 5

1tribeca said:
So, a monopole speaker is more desirable?
I think a monopole or a bipole would be perferable over a dipole in a set-up like that. more desirable? maby, monopoles are usaly cheeper :)) ), but bipoles should creat a larger sound field, however, my set-up has a fairly good rear sound field with monopoles.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis