Surround speaker options??

J

jbrandoff

Enthusiast
RSL CG5 vs. Svs prime satellite? Which do you think would be better suited for the surrounds in a 7.1 system? Or would you reco something else?
TY!

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The SVS receive great reviews and are versatile

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd think they're both very good possibilites but on the information you provide, who knows?

J

jbrandoff

Enthusiast
I'd think they're both very good possibilites but on the information you provide, who knows?
Fair enough- didn’t want to bore anyone with the first post. Planning to run 7.1.4 atmos. Small ish room- 12x18x8. Denon avr. Likely Tekton fronts and center but haven’t committed yet. What would you use for surrounds?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Fair enough- didn’t want to bore anyone with the first post. Planning to run 7.1.4 atmos. Small ish room- 12x18x8. Denon avr. Likely Tekton fronts and center but haven’t committed yet. What would you use for surrounds?
LOL I have many spare speakers around I can use for surrounds so asking what I'd do is different :) I wouldn't worry about surrounds so much for movies/tv....but for multich music I do like a full matched speaker set so maybe something from Tekton in that case. I personally am curious about Tekton but there's something about that guy that makes me not want to even go there for mains let alone surrounds.

J

jbrandoff

Enthusiast
LOL I have many spare speakers around I can use for surrounds so asking what I'd do is different :) I wouldn't worry about surrounds so much for movies/tv....but for multich music I do like a full matched speaker set so maybe something from Tekton in that case. I personally am curious about Tekton but there's something about that guy that makes me not want to even go there for mains let alone surrounds.
Well- I haven’t committed to anything, so if you think it’s a mistake please lmk. I just read rave reviews about his speakers. I was all in on GoldenEar but since sandy gross sold I’m very hesitant.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well- I haven’t committed to anything, so if you think it’s a mistake please lmk. I just read rave reviews about his speakers. I was all in on GoldenEar but since sandy gross sold I’m very hesitant.
LOL Golden Ear just because of the name I'd stay away from....screams marketing :) Now that Audioquest owns them no fucking way I'd give them any money. So many others I'd consider before those brands....but I'm not you.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I just read rave reviews about his speakers
Rave reviews, but no third party measurements. ;) New Record Day had a thing going with Tekton. They also took down their measurements because something in them didn't agree with somebody important. *wink-wink-nudge-nudge
I talkled to Eric ant Tekton many times while I was shopping for my rig. Admittedly, I like the guy. But I didn't buy. Even after reading all those rave reviews.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Educate me please?
LOL speaker choice is very subjective so hard to say what you might like. I have my prejudices....but really don't know your preferenes otoh. Listening to various speakers to somewhat narrow your preferences is a good thing, and particularly if you do it in the room you'll use....

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Before I spend $3,000 a pair on the Tekton I would look at these first. Don't know why but those Tekton's just scare me maybe it's because I'm uneducated about them

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What are you planning for subwoofage? And budget? I like RSL over the primes, and Tektons. I do like the GE’s but can be expensive and I dislike the powered tower thing, as they just can’t do what good subs can do.
Rsl also has CS that’s on par with SVS. They’re great guys and make excellent speakers. Period. It’s just a bonus that they’re affordable!

J

jbrandoff

Enthusiast
What are you planning for subwoofage? And budget? I like RSL over the primes, and Tektons. I do like the GE’s but can be expensive and I dislike the powered tower thing, as they just can’t do what good subs can do.
Rsl also has CS that’s on par with SVS. They’re great guys and make excellent speakers. Period. It’s just a bonus that they’re affordable!
Was planning svs for sub. Either two 2000 pros or two 3000s. I was thinking of full size towers for fronts but not totally committed to the idea. I’m definitely going to look in to the RSLs

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Planning to run 7.1.4 atmos. Small ish room- 12x18x8. Denon avr. Likely Tekton fronts and center but haven’t committed yet. What would you use for surrounds?
For a room that size, I suggest smaller speakers for rears and surrounds. I'll even go so far as suggesting that more than 5 channels is too much in a room such as yours.

I agree with the others who suggest you avoid Tekton speakers. They suffer from too much enthusiastic online hype, with little or no evidence to support those claims. There are plenty of other good speakers in your price range that have good reviews accompanied by believable measurements.

For rear or surround channels, NHT SuperZero 2.1 speakers are small enough to easily mount on walls. They're known for their neutral sound, will go well with a wide variety of front speakers, and you can't beat their price.

NHT makes two other models, the C1 and SuperOne. They are larger and cost more.

Last edited:
J

jbrandoff

Enthusiast
For a room that size, I suggest smaller speakers for rears and surrounds. I'll even go so far as suggesting that more than 5 channels is too much in a room such as yours.

I agree with the others who suggest you avoid Tekton speakers. They suffer from too much enthusiastic online hype, with little or no evidence to support those claims. There are plenty of other good speakers in your price range that have good reviews accompanied by believable measurements.

For rear or surround channels, NHT SuperZero 2.1 speakers are small enough to easily mount on walls. They're known for their neutral sound, will go well with a wide variety of front speakers, and you can't beat their price.

NHT makes two other models, the C1 and SuperOne. They are larger and cost more.
Very helpful! Thank you!! Curious- why 5 channel surround in that size room and not 7? Is it because I can't achieve enough separation between the speakers?
For that matter, should I only do 2 atmos heights speakers or can I still do 4?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Very helpful! Thank you!! Curious- why 5 channel surround in that size room and not 7? Is it because I can't achieve enough separation between the speakers?
Depends. If you can get 5-6’ behind the couch, 7ch or .4 makes sense. But if your LP is against the wall, then imo, no. Skip 7ch, and .4. Although .4 can still be done, the rear height part of the “sphere” will be more to the front.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Curious- why 5 channel surround in that size room and not 7? Is it because I can't achieve enough separation between the speakers?
I agree with William Lemmerhirt. You might find 7 channel helps if you have two rows of seating, one behind the other. I personally believe it isn't worth the extra cost of two more surround speakers.
I don't have any Atmos speakers, and I'm not interested in getting them. So I'm not the guy to answer Atmos questions.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
In the setup I have ceiling speakers, my couch is against the wall but I still put in 4 ceilings (Atmos) and no regrets at all. But I didn't do rears because I am against the wall. My 2 surrounds and the atmos take care of the atmospheric sounds.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis