Surround Speaker Height Spec

E

ensco

Enthusiast
Hello,
I have read many different responses to this question, but thought I would check here for a recommendation. I have a 5.2.4 Atmos (ceiling speakers) arrangement – What is the preferred height for surround speakers ? – Some say place them the same height as seated ear level (not possible in my setup) – others say 2ft (or up to 2ft) above ear level - others say 3ft (or up to 3ft) above ear level – I don’t think Dolby has a specific recommendation.

Additional Info & Dimensions:
Seated Ear Height: 4 ft
Surrounds are angled type Dipole/Bipole (select-able) – Mounted on side walls (just behind listener).
Speakers not really aimable.
Ceiling Height: 8 ft - 4 in

Thanks for your help,
ensco

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello,
I have read many different responses to this question, but thought I would check here for a recommendation. I have a 5.2.4 Atmos (ceiling speakers) arrangement – What is the preferred height for surround speakers ? – Some say place them the same height as seated ear level (not possible in my setup) – others say 2ft (or up to 2ft) above ear level - others say 3ft (or up to 3ft) above ear level – I don’t think Dolby has a specific recommendation.

Additional Info & Dimensions:
Seated Ear Height: 4 ft
Surrounds are angled type Dipole/Bipole (select-able) – Mounted on side walls (just behind listener).
Speakers not really aimable.
Ceiling Height: 8 ft - 4 in

Thanks for your help,
ensco
Tweeter at around 52" height. If there are high backed chairs though, make sure the tweeters are above the backs of the chairs. If it is an Atmos theater then the tweeters should be no higher than 50% of the floor to ceiling height.

E

ensco

Enthusiast
Thanks TLS Guy,

I was wrong about the (8ft 4in) ceiling ht I indicated - The ceiling ht is (7ft 4in) - Does this change your recommendation ?

It is a 4ch ceiling atmos theater setup - So I'm thinking I will place the tweeter ht at 48" - any lower and the couch back will interfere.

Thanks,
ensco

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks TLS Guy,

I was wrong about the (8ft 4in) ceiling ht I indicated - The ceiling ht is (7ft 4in) - Does this change your recommendation ?

It is a 4ch ceiling atmos theater setup - So I'm thinking I will place the tweeter ht at 48" - any lower and the couch back will interfere.

Thanks,
ensco
Please explain how you have a four channel Atmos system! There is no such thing.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks TLS Guy,

Thanks,
ensco

So there is a spec. It says that rear speakers, meaning the surrounds should be at the same height as the mains, OR no more than the mains heightX1.25. So the mains tweeter at 40”, would give you 50” max for the surrounds. But as TLS guy mentioned, you should go slightly higher if you need to clear seat backs, or other listeners
As shown above. I had to go H2x1.55 to clear a switch out.
I’ve also seen that whatever distance you raise the surrounds, you should move the tops inward half of that distance to maintain adequate spacing between the surrounds and tops.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

So there is a spec. It says that rear speakers, meaning the surrounds should be at the same height as the mains, OR no more than the mains heightX1.25. So the mains tweeter at 40”, would give you 50” max for the surrounds. But as TLS guy mentioned, you should go slightly higher if you need to clear seat backs, or other listeners
As shown above. I had to go H2x1.55 to clear a switch out.
I’ve also seen that whatever distance you raise the surrounds, you should move the tops inward half of that distance to maintain adequate spacing between the surrounds and tops.
Yes, you don't want the surrounds obstructed for sure. Ceilings less then 8' are a problem but that is what it is. I redid the plans for my room and did a bump to get 9' ceiling.

E

ensco

Enthusiast
Yes - it is a 5.2.4 setup using 4 in-ceiling mounted speakers (2 front -2 rear) for atmos - Thanks for all your replies.
ensco

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Yes, you don't want the surrounds obstructed for sure. Ceilings less then 8' are a problem but that is what it is. I redid the plans for my room and did a bump to get 9' ceiling.
You raise the ceiling 1 foot wow ? I didn’t know that was even possible.. impressive, I can’t run Atmos anyways not aloud or able to ceiling mount speakers .

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
The starting point is ear level.
there's also a range that starts from ear level and up to 20 degrees elevation and this is from the studio guidelines.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You raise the ceiling 1 foot wow ? I didn’t know that was even possible.. impressive, I can’t run Atmos anyways not aloud or able to ceiling mount speakers .
They built the house from scratch. Raised the ceiling in the planning stage and built accordingly.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis