V

vcartier

Audiophyte
I have an atypical entertainment room. It is 20 feet long by 8 feet wide. I have a PSB's bookshelves, center and rear bi polars. It is a good sounding system driven by an Onkyo 9.1 receiver. My problem, if it is a problem seems to be that either I am used to hearing the rear surround speakers (so I can't actually relaize if they are working properly) or they are not calibrated correctly. The rears are 6 inches from the corner on the back walls at a height of 7 feet from the floor. My listening post is about 6 feet from the back wall. I can hear sound when I actually try to listen, but for the most part, I can't differentiate if they are working or not. When I use the receivers speakers white noise sound testing they are coming in loud and clear. Does that mean I am just used to the 5.1 or the sytem does need to be calibrated?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
vcartier said:
I have an atypical entertainment room. It is 20 feet long by 8 feet wide. I have a PSB's bookshelves, center and rear bi polars. It is a good sounding system driven by an Onkyo 9.1 receiver. My problem, if it is a problem seems to be that either I am used to hearing the rear surround speakers (so I can't actually relaize if they are working properly) or they are not calibrated correctly. The rears are 6 inches from the corner on the back walls at a height of 7 feet from the floor. My listening post is about 6 feet from the back wall. I can hear sound when I actually try to listen, but for the most part, I can't differentiate if they are working or not. When I use the receivers speakers white noise sound testing they are coming in loud and clear. Does that mean I am just used to the 5.1 or the sytem does need to be calibrated?

Well, it seems that they are working with the built in test tones:)
But, it is best if you use a Radio Shack analog SPL meter to level match all channels. Then, you know it is properly calibrated and when you show DPL or DD5.1 on the face plate you will get surround action but you are at the mercy of the recording quality.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis