Surround Sound + Xbox 360 Help

H

House

Enthusiast
Can someone point me in the right direction here. I am trying to hook my Xbox 360 up to my Surround sound, but I can't seem to get it to work. Here is how I am trying to do this.

Xbox 360 plugged into TV with component Cables

DVD with built in amp connected to tv with composit cables

Xbox 360 plugged into dvd/amp with an optical cable.

I thought this was all I need to do, but I guess I am missing something here.

My dvd player has these channels. Dvd, AV1, AV2, and Tuner. I've tried both av channels and that didn't work.

I have unplugged the optical cable from the dvd player, and I see a red light, so I know the connection is good going into the Xbox.

I am not sure what else I need to do. All help is appreciated. thanks

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Are you getting any sound at all? There may be an option in the 360 control panel that enables the optical output. What input is the optical jack assigned to on the back(label)? What is the brand/model of the DVD/receiver?

H

House

Enthusiast
The sound is still coming out of my tv. No sound at all from the surround sound speakers.

I'm posting from work so I can't give you all the info you asked for. In the 360 dashboard I set it for digital dobly 5. 1 I believe. It has both an analog and a digital setting.

I only have one optical jack on the back of the dvd player, I used to have it hooked up to the original Xbox like 2 years ago, and I think it was for AV1.

Its a lower end system, please don't make fun of me. Its a Koss, not sure what model number it is though. I got the system for christmas like 3 years ago.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
If you have the 360 connected to the TV with component cables and nothing else then you should not be getting any sound from the TV. Are you sure it's not connected with composite (red, white, yellow) cables? Component is red, green, and blue (video only).

H

House

Enthusiast
Yes the 360 is hooked up with component cables. I bought the core system and then went out and bought the component cables for $40. They work through input 3 on my tv, and when I turn to that channel with the Xbox on it says component. There is a little optical port on the compenent cable to hook pu the optical cable. So it is plugged in there, and the back of my dvd player.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
So it is plugged in there, and the back of my dvd player.
What is "there"? The audio should only be connected to the receiver.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Unhook the optical cable from dongle that plugs into the 360. Is there a red glow in the socket? If not, you got a defective cable. If yes, plug the optical cable back in and unhook the optical cable from the DVD player and look into the plug. Is there a fairly bright red glow in there? If not, your cable is needs to be changed.

If the cable checks out to be good, try using a different optical input on the DVD player. If it only has one optical input, try using a different source.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
I had this same problem when first connecting it to my receiver. On your actual HD Cable pack that plugs into the back of the 360 there is a selecter switch that asks somethign to the effect of digital on one side of it and analog on the other, you have to select the digital output on HD Pack to output the signal through fiber optic

H

House

Enthusiast
Spiffyfast said:
I had this same problem when first connecting it to my receiver. On your actual HD Cable pack that plugs into the back of the 360 there is a selecter switch that asks somethign to the effect of digital on one side of it and analog on the other, you have to select the digital output on HD Pack to output the signal through fiber optic
Thanks, I'll check that out when I get home from breakfast.

H

House

Enthusiast
I checked out the HD cable pack, and the only switch I saw was for TV/HDTV. I have mine set at tv because I have an SDTV. Also as stated above I set the xbox dashboard for digital 5.1. Thanks

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
wait, so you don't have the HD Pack, you are using the advanced audio visual pack? I thought you were using component cables to hook up your TV, that's the HD Pack. If you are then switch the pack to HDTV and then go to your xbox dashboard video settings and only select it to output 480i so you are not sending 480p, 720p, or 1080i to your tv set. Did you buy the actual cable that Microsoft makes, or did you purchase a different brand?

jbo247

jbo247

Audioholic Intern
i have mine hooked up works great. this is how it works the red green blue component jacks plugged in to tv,optical out to reciever,hdtv switch set on the 360 ,turn the tv speakers off if you have sound there then you also have the right and left audio hooked up analog, check the system settings on the console if the one digital output dont work try the other digital output i think one is 5.1 and other is pro logic. if your using it in standard you only need the yellow video out to tv not the red and white

H

House

Enthusiast
I'm still having trouble getting this to work. Is there an instruction manual online anywhere? Thanks

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
can you find out the exact model number so we can look up your exact dvd/receiver combo? The problem you may be having is that it can't decode the dolby digital signal at all, its may just not be build to do that. Most of these HTIB dvd/receiver combos will play dvd's in surround sound, but any other input is used in stereo mode, and then some can use dolby prologic to simulate surround from the stereo inputs. Basically what I'm trying to say is that just b/c it can accept the fiber optic input doesn't mean it can accept dolby digital through it.

H

House

Enthusiast
When I get home from work I'll see if it has the model number on it. It used to work in surround sound for my original Xbox. I had that hooked up like 2 years ago though.

H

House

Enthusiast
Wow I just came across this thread while searching online. I still can not get my xbox 360 to work with my surround sound. I have now tried 3 different optical cables, and 3 different 360's and am not using an LCD tv with the component cables. Still no go. It worked perfectly fine with my original xbox, this is kind of frustrating. I'm about to just buy a new surround sound system.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
HDMI to receiver, surround works beautifully.

Check console settings? It should auto to digital audio if you use TOSLink though...

H

House

Enthusiast
what is TOSlink?

My console is set to dolby 5.1 in settings.

phlakvest

phlakvest

Audioholic
Toslink is the optical cable.

You said in one of the earlier posts that your getting audio out of your tv. Did you plug the white/red of the composite cables into your tv? there is a white/red bundled together, and a red/blue/green bundled together. The r/b/g ones are video, the r/w are audio make sure those are unplugged.

Does your dvdcombo reciever have a setup menu? Does it support DD inputs?
what model is it?

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
I believe the digital output is supposed to override the analog on the component cable. But it could be the other way around...

House, make sure you have only red/white RCAs hooked up OR optical cable hooked up. Not both.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis