surround sound hook up

B

Bubba2

Audiophyte
Hi,
I have a 42" sony grand wega LCD, Sammy OTA HD tuner, and Magnavox MFX450 surround sound system. How do I hook up coxial cables to get digital sound. I only get analog now. Can't figure where to hook up the coxial cables.

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
Is it coax or coaxial? Coax can carry digital audio from your dvd player to your receiver, or from your cable box to your receiver. Coaxial is a way to transfer both picture and sound at the same time, and is probably what you have connected to your cable box from the wall. If you are talking about coax, then there should be an orange output on your dvd player/cable box. If there isn't, then your equipment probably only has an optical output, which is another form to transfer digital audio. If you see a thing sticking out of a hole on your dvd player or cable box (sorry I can't describe it better), and it's labled optical out, pull it out and there should be a squarish hole to input an optical cord. Just buy an optical cord instead of a coax. Usually, with a cable box, you would want to output the picture and the audio seperately, oppose to using a coaxial to carry both simultaniously. If you want digital audio from your cable box and and good picture quality, output either the optical or coax from your digital audio out. If your cable box has a component video out and your tv has a component video input, then I suggest using component video cords. Hope this helps.

B

Bubba2

Audiophyte
surround sound

5.1 DTS Guy
Thanks for the response.
On the Sammy it is coaxial for the Dolby Ditital Output. Do I hook it to the Sony TV or my Surround Sound System?
Thanks

J

Jedi2016

Full Audioholic
To your surround system, of course. The cable goes from Digital Coax Out port on your DVD player to the Digital Coax In port on your reciever. That's all there is to it.

The manual for your reciever should mention this. Mine does.

B

Bubba2

Audiophyte
surround sound

Thanks 5.1 DTS GUY and Jedi 2016

Got it hooked up and getting digital sound out of my Sammy OTA tuner. I had it hooked up to my DVD as mentioned Jedi. Again thanks for the help and now ready for football in HD 5.1

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Bubba2 said:
Thanks 5.1 DTS GUY and Jedi 2016

Got it hooked up and getting digital sound out of my Sammy OTA tuner. I had it hooked up to my DVD as mentioned Jedi. Again thanks for the help and now ready for football in HD 5.1

I think they confused what components you really wanted to get the digital audio from. You didn't mention a DVD player:D but a TV HD tuner. The digital audio from it goes to the receivers are you found out. That will give you TV audio sound.

Now, when you get a DVD player, you hook that digital audio to the Magnavox if you have another digital audio in.

J

Jedi2016

Full Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
I think they confused what components you really wanted to get the digital audio from. You didn't mention a DVD player:D but a TV HD tuner. The digital audio from it goes to the receivers are you found out. That will give you TV audio sound.

Now, when you get a DVD player, you hook that digital audio to the Magnavox if you have another digital audio in.
Whatever... :p

I tend to think in terms of my own setup.. of which the DVD player and PS2 are the only units capable of producing a 5.1 digital signal.. both use digital cables into my reciever, so that part of it was accurate.. hehe.

So, to rephrase, it'd be "Hook your digital cable from [insert whatever you're watching here]'s Digital Output into your reciever's Digital Input."

:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis