N

nocondorfx

Enthusiast
Is a quality surge protector necessary? I have my new athena as-f2s hooked up (and love them!) and there is some staticy sound coming from them when there is no music on. Is this because its hooked up to a 7 year old mediocre receiver, or because its plugged into my $3.99 6 outlet non surge protector from meijers? Can you suggest cheap, effective surge protectors if this is the cause of the sound. thanks :)

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
Any of the Tripplite models with Isobar is probably the best bang for the buck. My local Fry's carries them, as well as Northern Tool. They even have a rackmount version available.

Monster works just fine, and it has some nice features, but the actual filtering/spike protection is no better for about twice the money.

If the static sound is more like a hum or buzz, you may have a ground loop and the surge protector won't help with that. Most often the ground loop is caused by the cable line, so if you want to try unhooking that you may find that's the case. If so, you need a cable line isolator like this one:

http://www.elect-spec.com/video.htm

Good luck, and let us know how it works out!

N

nocondorfx

Enthusiast
thanks for the suggestion, it isnt a humm but more of quiet hiss. not noticeable unless the room is pretty quiet

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
nocondorfx said:
thanks for the suggestion, it isnt a humm but more of quiet hiss. not noticeable unless the room is pretty quiet
Is there a snake living behind the speaker? :D

That hiss is probably your reciever. Most receivers have a fairly high noise floor. It comes from having all those electronics in one big box!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
nocondorfx said:

Most likely the noise floor in the amp. Shou7ldn't be a problem with program material.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Uh, just to be safe, though, make sure it isn't a snake. :p

N

nocondorfx

Enthusiast
okay i got rid of the snake, but I have a little venom in me, how do i get rid of that?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis