Support for the perfect choice

B

BR Audio

Audiophyte
Hello guys,

I am planning to make an audio system for my living room with 8 in celling speakers and 2 subwoofers. I would like to create a system for playing music, not movies. The speakers will be distributed around the room, but the room layout should not be suitable for a perfect surround. Probably should play on All Channels Stereo mode.

I did some research on speakers, receivers and subwoofers and checked out some models indicated for use.

- Receivers:
. Marantz SR 7013/7012
. Yamaha Aventure RX - A2080
. Denon AVRX4500H

* Points to consider:
. Power with all channels Driven.
. Sound quality.
. Reliability.
. I'll be using an Optoma UHD60 projector for image playback.

- Speakers:
. After much research, I found that a good option would be the POLK 265 - LS. I would like an opinion on these speakers and, if It's possible, other suggestions.

- Subwoofers:
. I am thinking of using 2 SVS PB 2000. I would like an opinion on these sub, and if It's possible other suggestions.

Please help me with suggestions.

Thank you.

Last edited:
B

B SUBASCHANDRA BOS

Enthusiast
How many celling speakers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

BR Audio

Audiophyte
Thinking to use 8 speakers Polk 265 LS + 2 Sub’s SVS PB2000.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Good thing you'll have that sub! It's the only thing that'll separate your system from mall music. ;)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Well, lets get it out in the open. Your plan is cockeyed in the extreme.

You say this is for music and not movies, yet you have a projector!

Now those speakers are in walls and NOT ceiling speakers. There is a difference. As speakers go they look to be pretty decent in walls, but I have never heard them.

If you are not interested in a proper multi channel speaker set up then you are best served by using two of those speakers and NOT eight. They should be mounted on the short wall with the tweeter at ear height when seated, which is 36" above the floor. They should be at least 14" from the adjacent wall boundary.

All channel stereo mode is a mess, you don't want to use it. If you put 8 speakers in the ceiling and play in that mode all the speakers will interfere with each other and you will have a mess.

It seems you do actually want a surround speaker layout. Here I have to tell you that is not possible with an in ceiling speaker system. Those are a mess and waste of money and effort.

So if you want a discrete system then place the front three properly LCR. Put the surrounds just behind the listening position with the tweeter 60" above the floor and the rear back in the back wall about 8' apart and tweeters 60" above the floor.

Now if the room is open plan, then put the front three in wall and you could use in ceiling speakers, not in wall speakers in the ceiling for surrounds and rear backs.

I would say that many modern domestic spaces are not really suitable for surround sound, and are really best served with front two or three speakers and forget everything else except subs.

It so happens that I'm building a new home at present and I have designed a new in wall system for out very open main level great room. It is 3.1.

the front three and TL sub are all in wall.

Power amps will go on the right, the rest on the left.

Then the 7.2.4 system gets in own dedicated space.

This equipment is largely transferred from my previous home.

Basically to do surround sound requires a closed space with four good vertical walls. I personally think in other situations 2.1 or 3.1 is just fine. Ceiling speakers are for low level background music, surround at a push and Atmos speakers.

I would seriously rethink your plan.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
- Receivers:
. Marantz SR 7013/7012
. Yamaha Aventure RX - A2080
. Denon AVRX4500H

* Points to consider:
. Power with all channels Driven.
. Sound quality.
. Reliability.
. I'll be using an Optoma UHD60 projector for image playback.
TLS covered an alternative approach, to your plan and highlighted some potential issues with yours. My comments below are intended to response to your specific questions only.

Power with all channel driven: Would depends on your room dimensions, seating distance from speakers, and the SPL you need, in dB. Ref: 85 dB average would be what you experience in movie cinemas. A lot of people are happy with 75 dB average for music enjoyment. Power with all channel driven could be an important factor for "all channel stereo mode", the choices you listed should be able to do 70-80 WPC into 8 ohms so unless you room is quite large, you should be fine with those 3.

Sound quality: All 3 should sound the same, or very little different in pure direct mode if level matched driving he same speakers.

Reliability: M Code, our insider told us Yamaha's have the best reliability. I have several Denon and Marantz over the years and found them extremely reliable. Their recent year models have fans built in that are likely set to turn on at very high temperature, probably to avoid noise complain. So if you opt for their models you may want to spend another $10 (or more) external fan that you can control yourself. If you do that, I bet they will be as reliable as anything else, but that's just my opinion.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Well, lets get it out in the open. Your plan is cockeyed in the extreme.

It so happens that I'm building a new home at present and I have designed a new in wall system for out very open main level great room. It is 3.1.

I would seriously rethink your plan.
Mark,
Are you going to post a thread on your DIY/system build project? You always have the most interesting solutions. Will you bring all your legacy stuff (turntables, round tape etc) to the new setup? I'm interested to see how you solve your issues. You've already done something I wouldn't have expected: built in the walls speakers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Mark,
Are you going to post a thread on your DIY/system build project? You always have the most interesting solutions. Will you bring all your legacy stuff (turntables, round tape etc) to the new setup? I'm interested to see how you solve your issues. You've already done something I wouldn't have expected: built in the walls speakers.
It must have passed you buy as you slept!

I started a build thread on May 27, 5 days after we closed on our property on Benedict Lake.

I will keep it updated until complete. So you are welcome to follow the saga over the coming months.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis