Super tweeters - thoughts?

B

BlenderBoy

Enthusiast
Has anyone used super tweeters? Specifically the Aperion ones. I read somewhere that it is as big of a difference as a subwoofer makes to a system but I find that very hard to believe. If any of you have had any real world experience with these I’d be very curious to hear your opinion.
Thanks.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You finding it hard to believe is 100% correct.

I was at a physics show for kids not too long ago and sound was one of the exhibits. They had everyone put their hands up and put them down as the frequencies increased to where you could not hear it. Once you got to about 12k, almost all of the adults had put their hands down. By about 15k, only a few young kids still had them up.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Has anyone used super tweeters? Specifically the Aperion ones. I read somewhere that it is as big of a difference as a subwoofer makes to a system but I find that very hard to believe. If any of you have had any real world experience with these I’d be very curious to hear your opinion.
Thanks.
If your speakers are any good, adding those will spoil them.

B

BlenderBoy

Enthusiast
My system isn’t high end. I think it sounds pretty good however. I have denon x3700h in 7.1.2 with paradigm phantom v4 towers for L&R. Klipsch r52c center Klipsch black label s120 sub 2 Klipsch atmos heights but mounted on front wall near ceiling instead of bouncy house. My surrounds are a little weak but sound decent enough For movies - energy take classic. I’m in an apartment so can’t really mount rear heights easily. Have BasX 3 channel amp connected to my LCR. So yeah def on the lower end but no clipping or distortion at full reference sound. My dark side of the moon 50th in atmos sounds fantastic.

I was wondering if maybe the tweeters aren’t bright enough and could use a hand from those super tweeters if I set the crossover to like 8k or 10k Hz on the super tweeters. Then again I’m also almost 54 and can I even hear those frequencies anymore. Lol.

B

BlenderBoy

Enthusiast
You finding it hard to believe is 100% correct.

I was at a physics show for kids not too long ago and sound was one of the exhibits. They had everyone put their hands up and put them down as the frequencies increased to where you could not hear it. Once you got to about 12k, almost all of the adults had put their hands down. By about 15k, only a few young kids still had them up.
Hahaha. Yeah I didn’t even see this until after I responded. Very valid point.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My system isn’t high end. I think it sounds pretty good however. I have denon x3700h in 7.1.2 with paradigm phantom v4 towers for L&R. Klipsch r52c center Klipsch black label s120 sub 2 Klipsch atmos heights but mounted on front wall near ceiling instead of bouncy house. My surrounds are a little weak but sound decent enough For movies - energy take classic. I’m in an apartment so can’t really mount rear heights easily. Have BasX 3 channel amp connected to my LCR. So yeah def on the lower end but no clipping or distortion at full reference sound. My dark side of the moon 50th in atmos sounds fantastic.

I was wondering if maybe the tweeters aren’t bright enough and could use a hand from those super tweeters if I set the crossover to like 8k or 10k Hz on the super tweeters. Then again I’m also almost 54 and can I even hear those frequencies anymore. Lol.
Your gear is fine, altho speakers can be improved on. Can you even hear the typical upper limits of audio gear at 20kHz? If you're not getting any issues at the levels you listen at, and it sounds good to you....don't worry so much.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Thanks.
I use the Aperion super tweeters with my RSL CG5's....I like the sizzle, since my all time favorite speakers are German MB Quarts that have a very hot high end.
I have them facing backwards though like Thomas suggests here.
Gives a very spacious soundfield that way...even though technically at 67 years of age, I shouldn't know they are there...but I surely do.

And yes, the subwoofer comparison you cite is nonsense.

B

BlenderBoy

Enthusiast
Your gear is fine, altho speakers can be improved on. Can you even hear the typical upper limits of audio gear at 20kHz? If you're not getting any issues at the levels you listen at, and it sounds good to you....don't worry so much.
Thanks. I’ve been slowly upgrading but don’t have a lot of money to spend. The x3700h replaced an old 2309CL the energy center channel was garbage and so was the energy 10” sub so they went. The atmos speakers were an impulse buy and the amp was a nice edition so it’s getting there. When I get another job (been living off my savings for a few years now and went thru radiation and chemo over the summer still don’t have a lot of energy) I’ll replace the surrounds with better speakers. It’s a living room so only so much that I can do with the speaker placement and don’t have much room for room treatments. The problem is that I have too much time in my hands and watch Gene on YouTube way too much. :)

B

BlenderBoy

Enthusiast
I use the Aperion super tweeters with my RSL CG5's....I like the sizzle, since my all time favorite speakers are German MB Quarts that have a very hot high end.
I have them facing backwards though like Thomas suggests here.
Gives a very spacious soundfield that way...even though technically at 67 years of age, I shouldn't know they are there...but I surely do.

And yes, the subwoofer comparison you cite is nonsense.

Yep that’s the exact YouTube video that informed me that super tweeters existed and started the wheels turning.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Yep that’s the exact YouTube video that informed me that super tweeters existed and started the wheels turning.
Thomas is a good reviewer...he's not into trends or snakeoil.

Super Tweeters to me (and him) fall into the "cant be explained or justified by conventional theory" category.
Technically, they shouldn't make a difference if all things are equal...but they surely do.
Really depends on how good your hearing is, and how trained of a listener you are....and what type of sound you are after. I cant stand a dull speaker myself.

Definitely one of those things that can be tried out in these days of "if you don't like it, send it back".

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I know someone who has these tweeters and he says he likes them. OTOH, he served in the Army and Air Force, so I doubt his damaged ears allow him to hear past 12KHz, even if he used hearing protection.

Try them- if you like what you hear, keep them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. I’ve been slowly upgrading but don’t have a lot of money to spend. The x3700h replaced an old 2309CL the energy center channel was garbage and so was the energy 10” sub so they went. The atmos speakers were an impulse buy and the amp was a nice edition so it’s getting there. When I get another job (been living off my savings for a few years now and went thru radiation and chemo over the summer still don’t have a lot of energy) I’ll replace the surrounds with better speakers. It’s a living room so only so much that I can do with the speaker placement and don’t have much room for room treatments. The problem is that I have too much time in my hands and watch Gene on YouTube way too much. :)
The Take set is what it is, I got one of those too but mine only came with an 8" sub :) I think most living rooms with normal furnishings are fine without treatments. Good luck on your cancer recovery!

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
No EQ or tone controls on this system of any kind? My AVR as old as it is, has a tone control function for treble and bass. Sometimes, a little of that can go a long way.

B

BlenderBoy

Enthusiast
I know someone who has these tweeters and he says he likes them. OTOH, he served in the Army and Air Force, so I doubt his damaged ears allow him to hear past 12KHz, even if he used hearing protection.

Try them- if you like what you hear, keep them.
Thanks guys. Good advice.

B

BlenderBoy

Enthusiast
The Take set is what it is, I got one of those too but mine only came with an 8" sub :) I think most living rooms with normal furnishings are fine without treatments. Good luck on your cancer recovery!
Yeah I bought the take 5.0 classic many years ago but didn’t get the sub with it as I read reviews and they said that the 8” one was too weak so I separately bought the energy 10” sub at PC Richard. The Klipsch black label 12” is worlds better. I’m sure it’s no Rel but that’s not in my range.
as far as the cancer recovery goes, I had another PET scan yesterday and should find out today or tomorrow if the bad stuff is over or if I will need surgery and/or more treatment. So thank you for that as well.

B

BlenderBoy

Enthusiast
No EQ or tone controls on this system of any kind? My AVR as old as it is, has a tone control function for treble and bass. Sometimes, a little of that can go a long way.
My x3700h has audessey and I have the $20 phone app. Contemplating getting the $200 pc app also because I sit up most nights watching a commercial free hacked version of YouTube on my fire stick all night long. Much of which is about room correction, speaker reviews, and home theater walkthrus. I totally want that Star Wars themed home theater. Lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I bought the take 5.0 classic many years ago but didn’t get the sub with it as I read reviews and they said that the 8” one was too weak so I separately bought the energy 10” sub at PC Richard. The Klipsch black label 12” is worlds better. I’m sure it’s no Rel but that’s not in my range.
as far as the cancer recovery goes, I had another PET scan yesterday and should find out today or tomorrow if the bad stuff is over or if I will need surgery and/or more treatment. So thank you for that as well.
Lots better than Rel out there....but those 10" Energy subs weren't horrible either (depending which one I suppose). Good luck!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis