Super Tweeters? Sensible, or a way to annoy dogs and cats?

Sound above 20kHz through speakers

• Critical

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depends, but usually not

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You answered your question early on in your original post, super tweeters are utterly worthless. Let your boiling blood cool off, and ignore those who talk about super tweeters. Whether you're for or against them, it isn't worth getting steamed up about them.
The post you are responding to is a few years old. I think there is a place for super tweeters, but they are more about achieving technical goals than practical ones. A lot of dome tweeters will start beaming above 10kHz, but what if you wanted your speaker to maintain a wide dispersion above 10kHz? a 1/2" super tweeter can do that. Or, what if you wanted to use a heavy-duty tweeter with high power-handling, but it only played up to say 10 kHz before running into problems. Cross it over to a super tweeter. There isn't much real content above 10 kHz, but there is some, and you can hear it, so you might as well address it. I don't think there is any point in having concern for performance above 20 kHz, but supertweeters can have use in frequency bands below that range.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Perhaps the frequencies above 25khz is beneficial to keep the metallic parts clean, so that one's super tweeters stay shiny longer. It's not cool if your beryllium doesn't shine. :)
I think super tweeter are intended for pro Audio and I’ve never modified a pair of speakers with them ever .
I’m unsure if humans can even hear these frequencies over 10k hz

You still haven't figured out google, huh?
Sorry I asked I was tired https://media1.giphy.com/media/pVKuyoWn9r0nm/giphy.gif[/

Sent from my iPhone using Heinrich skimmler jr .

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Ultra high frequency sound pressure waves do not travel far before they lose coherence. I wouldn't worry about the well being of animals hearing unless they are very close to the speakers. Ultra high frequency sound pressure waves would be very directional coming from a speaker as well. They are not likely to have a wide dispersion pattern. Super tweeters have their place, and that is extending the high frequency range of tweeters that can not stretch all the way up to 20 kHz. They can also broaden the dispersion pattern for tweeters that start to beam at frequencies lower than what the designer wants.
I Ask why do they exist in the first place ?
Without a horn or waveguide sounds pretty stupid to use a super tweeter

You still haven't figured out google, huh?
Sorry I asked I was tired https://media1.giphy.com/media/pVKuyoWn9r0nm/giphy.gif[/

Sent from my iPhone using Heinrich skimmler jr .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis