G

giant016

Audiophyte
Hi all,

I'm looking to start building a home audio setup. I don't know a ton about decent systems as my budget has always (and still is) quite limited, so I always stuck to an off the shelf stereo system for cds, the stock TV speakers for video, and all the music on my computer was just for listening to when I was doing computer stuff so the $25 pair of computer speakers was sufficient.

I'm still a college kid so money is a factor, but I'm just wondering what I should be looking for so when I see something cheap I'll have an idea if I want it or not, and hopefully over time build a nice setup.

Given my large digital music/video collection the heart of the system will be a PC. Laptop for now. It is for a small room, and 95% of the usage will be for music. I'd like to think of my tastes as eclectic so a versatile speaker setup is best.

My biggest complaint about my current budget speakers is lack of depth as I would call it. I don't care as much about perfect highs/lows, etc, I just HATE anything that comes close to a tinny sound.

I see systems with just two large floor speakers, some with 8+ pieces, external subs, etc. What is the advantage over a setup of a few large expensive floor speakers over say an 8 speaker home stereo setup?

I don't need crazy-party volume either.

Also, what should the whole setup consist of? If I get a good soundcard should I just run everything into the laptop or have a separate receiver for other inputs like TV and maybe a record player?

My budget for speakers is about $200-$300

That's about all I can think of for now. Thanks in advance.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
So your PC will be the main source? Will you be routing the PC music through a receiver or wanting to drive the speakers straight from the PC and no AVR?

That would probably help the knowledge base get a better understanding and help you better.

Also, are you planning on running purely music through the speakers or a mix of music and movies/tv? That will make a difference. If just music, then a good two speaker setup would probably be best and would maximize your budget into as few of components as possible.

Let's see what other come up with. I haven't driven purely from a PC in long time so my knowledge base isn't good enough to offer you solid advice.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
What you want are good speakers and decent amplification. Some decent budget speakers are the Infinity Primus p162s. I'd start out with a pair of those and add a sub when you can afford it. You'll need a receiver if your shelf system can't power them. In the bang for buck category, look at Onkyo, Yamaha and Harman Kardon. I'd start with a good 2.1 system and then add on from there.

Jim

G

giant016

Audiophyte
What you want are good speakers and decent amplification. Some decent budget speakers are the Infinity Primus p162s. I'd start out with a pair of those and add a sub when you can afford it. You'll need a receiver if your shelf system can't power them. In the bang for buck category, look at Onkyo, Yamaha and Harman Kardon. I'd start with a good 2.1 system and then add on from there.

Jim
Thanks. Is a receiver the same as an amplifier? In doing research it looks like a receiver has an amp built in, but if somebody could clarify that'd be swell.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks. Is a receiver the same as an amplifier? In doing research it looks like a receiver has an amp built in, but if somebody could clarify that'd be swell.
A receiver is a sound and video processor/switch with an amp. I would look at used receivers rather than buy a new stereo receiver.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I'd suggest a pair of Behringer 2030P speakers (it sounds like you will be listening nearfield), and a used receiver (if you get an AVR with optical ins, you can bypass the DAC on your computer (assuming it, like most modern motherboards, includes an optical out)).

Then add a sub as soon as you can afford it.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'd suggest a pair of Behringer 2030P speakers (it sounds like you will be listening nearfield), and a used receiver (if you get an AVR with optical ins, you can bypass the DAC on your computer (assuming it, like most modern motherboards, includes an optical out)).

Then add a sub as soon as you can afford it.
I second that. I think you can get a pair of 2030p's for 75ish, which leaves money for a receiver. Come to think of it, someone awesome is selling a Denon AVR-3300 in the classifieds section :D. It would work well (although it doesn't have a remote).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis