Suggestions please....

Y

yancey1000

Enthusiast
I have a Denon 4520CI which is a 9.2 channel powered and a 11.2 channel processing receiver. It only has a 7.1 pre amp input and I would like suggestions as to what type of pre amp to use to upgrade my performance in my system. Would a 7.1 Dolby Atmos pre amp improve my system? Or due to the limits on my pre amp inputs, am I stuck with buying a new receiver? I bought this Denon in mint condition at a great price, but the price blinded me to possible upgrading options. The Denon only has Audyssey DSX, DTS Neo X and Pro-logic II Z processing for more than 7 channel surround sound options. My concern is that the 7.1 channel input will leave me with 2 channels powered un used. At $400 including the remote and setup mic,
I couldn't let that Denon pass. All suggestions, ideals and thoughts are welcomed. If anybody would know what to do, it would be you guys and gals. Thanks in advance for your help

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Do you have the speakers for atmos or do you plan on using height/ceiling speakers soon?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Y

yancey1000

Enthusiast
I'll be using height speakers. No plans on using ceiling speakers. Atmos enabled speakers soon depending on the suggestions from here.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
While you can use another unit with the 7.1 multich inputs but then you're just using the 4520 as an amp (pretty sure you lose dsp options this way but would need to double check). I suppose that might work for a 5.1.2 setup if you use a separate Atmos enabled avr/pre-pro with pre-outs and don't mind losing the use of the dsp in the 4520 (I'm pretty sure, check the manual). If you only use 7ch of amplification you still gain a bit by having the power supply not having to feed those two extra channels. Look at this bench test and see how power is reduced to additional channels going from 2 to 5 to 7 ch driven simultaneously (they didn't test 9, tho). If getting another avr with all the processing you want, you may as well simply use it as the amp section as well, using the 4520 as external amp is only going to give you a dB or two advantage.

It's a good avr, though; I went with one a few years ago for my main setup as I don't want to install ceiling speakers at this time anyways....

Y

yancey1000

Enthusiast
Thanks lovinthehd!! That's the kind of information i'm looking for. Now should I be satisfied with the 4520 and save a few bucks? Is the upgrade to Atmos really worth the extra money? As you know the 4520 has 11.2 processing and I think 11.2 is better than 5.2.2. What are your thoughts on my thinking process?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks lovinthehd!! That's the kind of information i'm looking for. Now should I be satisfied with the 4520 and save a few bucks? Is the upgrade to Atmos really worth the extra money? As you know the 4520 has 11.2 processing and I think 11.2 is better than 5.2.2. What are your thoughts on my thinking process?
If you want Atmos I think you got the wrong avr. Atmos processing in the 4520 isn't going to happen, and you max out in using it as a 7ch amp if you use another unit, so you'd be limited to 5.1.2 using another unit's pre-outs (altho I suppose you could use that other avr's amp channels to supplement). If you really want Atmos I'd get another avr; I plan to if/when I go that route. While Atmos/DTSX is something I'd like to try, messing with ceiling speakers at this time is something I'm not willing to do. Maybe someday, but too much of a hassle now with my ceilings.

I've only gotten up to using 9ch (with wides, not heights),then went back to 7ch (using rear surrounds) as I felt my room is a bit narrow for the wides to work well. I have spare amps so trying 11ch might even happen someday. Someday I might get around to installing some heights but 7ch works well for me; even tho the speakers are available for any configuration, am not wanting to do the work for the install where they need to go. Too little content to worry about at this time as well for Atmos/DTSX etc. YMMV.

Y

yancey1000

Enthusiast
Thanks again. I think I will wait on Atmos and enjoy the 4520 as she is. I needed the fresh out look on this matter.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Good plan. I didn’t see a list of your speakers but you can always upgrade the front 3 speakers or your subwoofer and get the most out of the receiver you have.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks again. I think I will wait on Atmos and enjoy the 4520 as she is. I needed the fresh out look on this matter.
The 4520 has very low distortions, lower than some separate preamp/power amps. it may be worth keeping it as a power amplifier as HD alluded to . You have to option to grab a X4300H or X4400H (better) if you wait for their price to drop in a few months. With both units side by side you can play Atmos movies using the L/C/R inputs with the X4300H, best of both worlds albeit a little clumsy but it will cost you more to buy a separate 150WX3 power amplifier.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-4520ci-av-receiver-test-bench

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis