A

abhishek

I am planning for a home theater system costing anything between $1000 - $ 2000. Can anyone suggest whether I should go for an "out of the box" system or build up one by picking up individual components.

If I should go for "out of the box" system, which one should I go for. Else
which components would you suggest.

I'd like a system that gives me value for money and with good after sales service (esp. in India)

thanks in advance.

Abhishek

gregz

gregz

Full Audioholic
abhishek, you're doing it the right way - choosing a budget and planning from the ground up.

"Out of box" systems do offer the lowest cost, but you want to make sure you're not compromising on any of the included components or it's not a good deal at all. The thing to watch out for is the speakers - they really make or break the system.

In your price range, you should be able to pick and choose the components you like the most. I'm a big fan of good satelite speakers all around complimented by a good subwoofer.

Are you buying the whole system including electronics with that budget, or just speakers? With more information, we could give you more detail.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Are you planning to buy in India or mail-order from the US ? Not knowing your pricing there, I'm at a disadvantage.

I certainly would expect to do better by choosing pieces rather than a home theatre in a box. The main systems sold in that price range are Bose, and you don;t want to do that.

If you were on or near the states, I'd recommend the axiomaudio.com speakers. I don;t know if they ship out..

I'm not real familiar with exports, etc, but these guys (BH Photo) have decent prices and moderately good equipment and they will ship to the mon if you;re willing to pay the freight.. It would fall well within your budget. I've only had to ship something back once, and there was absolutely no problem.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=321695&is=REG

The whole speaker set is about $ 700 less than would be sold at Best Buy.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=316906&is=REG

at $ 349.95, it's not spectacular, but does give you 7.1 capability, on-screen programming, and (heresy here) video upconvert... the remote's not the easiest to work with, but you'll get very good sound.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=316943&is=REG

at $ 119.95, this DVD player gives you all the basic formats except DVD-A and SACD. You might go look at one of the Pioneer models if you would like that capability.

A

abhishek

Thanks for the reply.
I'm planning (rather would like) to buy the whole system including electronics with that budget, except T.V (I already have one, but should i go for one ...if yes then which one and how much should i increase my budget).
I checked out a few sites {i.e. BOSE/SONY etc} and they have H.T. systems in that range.
I noted that a general advice on the net is to go for a custom made and not an "out of box" system.
I'd like the system (read it as speakers) to be compact (space constraints). I went to a BOSE store for a demo... the jewel cube speakers are small n looked gud too...but the bose reviews are not that good
My other and the most imp. concern is after sales service in India.
This would be my first H.T. system and I'd like it too be the best life time experience

Thanks in adavance...

Abhishek

gregz said:
abhishek, you're doing it the right way - choosing a budget and planning from the ground up.

"Out of box" systems do offer the lowest cost, but you want to make sure you're not compromising on any of the included components or it's not a good deal at all. The thing to watch out for is the speakers - they really make or break the system.

In your price range, you should be able to pick and choose the components you like the most. I'm a big fan of good satelite speakers all around complimented by a good subwoofer.

Are you buying the whole system including electronics with that budget, or just speakers? With more information, we could give you more detail.

A

abhishek

I would rather buy the whole system including electronics in India...About the prices you can assume an exchange rate of 1US$ approx equal to 50 INR.

About Bose, the looks are good and the system is compact but there are several -ve feeling on the net and they are a bit costly too.

Im also not that familiar bout the exports :) and not that comfortable buying on net (esp. a music/h.t. sys without a demo...)

My other and the most imp. concern is after sales service in India (coz if something conks off i may have to ship it across for repairs).

Thanks for your suggestions (I've read quite a lot bout JBL on the net), I'll keep them in mind when I next go H.T hunting and try get a demo of them if available (sony is easily available in India but i doubt JBL).

I have also read good feedbacks bout Yamaha receivers...any comments on them?

Thanks
Abhishek

Leprkon said:
Are you planning to buy in India or mail-order from the US ? Not knowing your pricing there, I'm at a disadvantage.

I certainly would expect to do better by choosing pieces rather than a home theatre in a box. The main systems sold in that price range are Bose, and you don;t want to do that.

If you were on or near the states, I'd recommend the axiomaudio.com speakers. I don;t know if they ship out..

I'm not real familiar with exports, etc, but these guys (BH Photo) have decent prices and moderately good equipment and they will ship to the mon if you;re willing to pay the freight.. It would fall well within your budget. I've only had to ship something back once, and there was absolutely no problem.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=321695&is=REG

The whole speaker set is about $ 700 less than would be sold at Best Buy.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=316906&is=REG

at $ 349.95, it's not spectacular, but does give you 7.1 capability, on-screen programming, and (heresy here) video upconvert... the remote's not the easiest to work with, but you'll get very good sound.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=316943&is=REG

at $ 119.95, this DVD player gives you all the basic formats except DVD-A and SACD. You might go look at one of the Pioneer models if you would like that capability.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis