Suggestions for Speaker Cables

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
See what you started. ;)
This will always come up. Relax. I love reading any battles for interesting reading and I enjoy those that have expert spkr wire and HDMI cable knowledge. Don't you?

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
And I doubt he would use it for an extremely high power installation because of several factors, but for low power, it's fine.

A formula exists for determining proper gauge and it's based in part on temperature, cross-sectional diameter, length, current and allowable voltage drop- I don't remember all of it.
Here is the cable power loss calculator from Electro-Voice:

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Yea, the cable test shows the blue jean 5T00UP is a very very legitimate cable vs even kimber. Check it out

I already checked it out a long time ago. My only reason against the recommendation of Kimber is price.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
No Issues, I just asked my son if they had 16ga 2 conductor wire. They had this wire that they use in their install communications side of the business. He brought home a box of old inventory. Pretty nice.
Cable, not wire. Cable is a multi-stranded conductor and a two conductor wire has two wires. A group of wires is a cable- it's a semantic thing, but for the purposes of selecting and specifying, it matters.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General

Good article. My only disagreement is the recommendation of Kimber 8TC.
Yeah, I think he called Kimber 8TC audio jewelry??? I don't know of a single human being that's going to look behind my speakers and go ohhh, pretty speaker cables.

I choose the Belden the 10-gauge 5T00UP. Is 10-gauge overkill for runs less than 20 feet? Of course it is!! :D Is there less expensive wire that sounds just as good? I'm sure there is. But I love the construction and the locking banana plugs, and the no-nonsense design. When I spoke to Blue Jeans they even told me I didn't need 10 gauge. I liked their honesty. After dropping almost 5k on three front speakers and another 2k on amplification, I had no qualms with spending another $140 bucks or so on the blue jeans. Made the choice, hooked them up and never give it a second thought.
Everybody is different though.

I've been on the road for 11 straight days, I'm just happy to be back home listening to my music, Ha!

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Is there much reason to go below 16 gauge with my very basic needs? Speakers are 8 ohm. Also plain copper or color coated?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is there much reason to go below 16 gauge with my very basic needs? Speakers are 8 ohm. Also plain copper or color coated?
Depends on length as well, try this table (and the rest of the site is great for all things speaker wire). Color coding can help you keep your connections' polarity consistent, altho even plain colored insulation may have a a ridged vs smooth side to also help you keep polarity straight.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
The price doesn't change drastically, why not go with 12 awg or 14 minimum. I can imagine the savings are that much of a difference. You can buy 12 gauge 100 ft for 40-60, if you DIY it will be better.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis