Suggestions for Plasma/LCD + Video Processor

WndrBr3d

WndrBr3d

Full Audioholic
Hey Everyone,

My wife and I will be moving soon and we're selling our current home theater setup so we're not forced to move it.

Our newer place will be smaller and I won't have room for speakers or a super large system, so I'm having to think about saving space.

To this, my current plan is this:

- Purchase a 42" (or in that area) LCD or Plasma TV
- Purchase a Video Scaler to deinterlace/up sample incoming video

I'm looking into the following:
Toshiba 42HL196 42" LCD (Native Resolution is 1080p)
DVDO iScan VP30 (with ABT Deinterlacer Card)

This will allow me to hook up all my 480i sources (GameCube, PS2, Digital Cable) and have them scaled up with great quality, as well as give me a solid HD picture.

I do have several questions though:

- The display has a native resolution of 1080p, but only supports up to 1080i as the input. Does this mean that it's using an internal deinterlacer to convert the 1080i to 1080p? Would I get better picture quality if I used my external video processor (VP) and set it to feed all signals to my display at 720p? This way the VP would be performing the deinterlacing and processing of the image and the display would only be displaying this signal, not processing it.

- Even though I have systems that support 480p (GameCube, PS2), using the VP, should I set them to still do 480i and let the VP do the deinterlacing/upsample?

- Would you go with a Plasma or LCD in this situation?

Any suggestions or comments are welcome. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis