Just tired of depending on a amplifier

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have a large room 20 x 25
Looking for new LFC that are easy to drive like 98 db per watt
I don’t like klipsh
You do know Klipsch overstate sensitivity? 98 is pretty much rare territory.... (your Klipsch are likely 4-5 db less sensitive than you think from their spec)

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The JBL 590 at $400 each right now are pretty good.

N

noclue

Audioholic
I had klipsh the hurt my ears
Are the JBl’s bright?
I had power and sound year’s ago they failed after my sub amp died but they sounded good until they died

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are the JBl’s bright?
I had power and sound year’s ago they failed after my sub amp died but they sounded good until they died
Not like the Klipsch I've experienced....

K

kini

Full Audioholic
I have a large room 20 x 25
Looking for new LFC that are easy to drive like 98 db per watt
I don’t like klipsh
About the only passive speakers you're going to find with that true sensitivity are JTR.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think LOUD might go hand-in-hand with ear discomfort.

If you are VERY sensitive to ear pain, the only way to be sure is to audition the speakers at loud volume for a long time.

As for “depending” on amps, most speakers today with sensitivity of > 85dB/2.83V/m will be just fine with 100WPC.

You can also use EQ (manual Parametric EQ or Auto-EQ) to lower the frequencies from 8kHz-16kHz by 1dB - 3dB. Maybe try this first before buying new speakers.

N

noclue

Audioholic
speaker A i had that died after a few years i had hooked up to a yhamma I could hear the foot spets at low volume with out hurting my ears.
Speaker B I used a 200 watt per channel amp I could hear them with out i could not a 140 watts per channel seemed to have a hard time driving them they are a sensitivity of 85db/2.3mv.
I did not have hearing aids when i had speaker A.
I got the hearing aids with speaker B and tried a 140 watt amp with them 200 watt seemed to be the sweet spot

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Are the JBl’s bright?
If the speaker is well designed with good directivity, bright can be easily EQed out.

Moving up to extremely sensitive speakers presents amp challages as well, FWIW. Any speaker above 87db shouldn't be an issue to play loud with 200wpc amp.

N

noclue

Audioholic
I did not want to put in what speaker A and B were because of fan boys

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I did not want to put in what speaker A and B were because of fan boys
That's not a good practice if you're expecting worthwhile advice. Get over the people that respond that way and get the benefit from the others. IMO

N

noclue

Audioholic
Ok speaker A was power and sound
Speaker B was what I have Ascend Acustics sierra tower’s and center with ribbon tweeters

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Ok speaker A was power and sound
Speaker B was what I have Ascend Acustics sierra tower’s and center with ribbon tweeters
When you say power and sound, do you mean Power Sound Audio?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
JTR was a good suggestion for speakers that are not only sensitive but quite capable of filling a big space....perhaps a set of Noesis 215RTs

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

Definitely look at Power Sound Audio. No amp needed. Not completely fake sensitivity numbers (like Klipsch marketing).

Very best,

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis