Suggestions for Apple TV

G

giacona

Audioholic Intern
I am looking for some suggestions regarding an apple TV box., It looks like the newest models are 1440 and my TV is on the older side (Panasonic VT25 Plasma) is only 1080P. Is it best for me to look for an older generation of apple TV since I don't plan to upgrade to a 4K tv anytime soon? Also can anyone confirm if apple TV works with Kodi and or APK's? Thanks!

A

amidr

Audiophyte
Kodi is an open-source media player that can help you enjoy tons of movies, TV shows, and other content. It's compatible with a lot of devices, like Windows, Smart TVs, gaming consoles, and Apple TV. If you do not plan to upgrade, you can go with the older one.

Follower

Follower

Audiophyte
I have only 1080p TVs, and have no issues running any new Apple TV 4K set to output 1080p. (You can even chose to output 720p from them if you wish.)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I just bought a first gen(oops thought it was 2nd) ATV 4K and it’s connected to a Marantz AVR and then to 1080p plasma tv. Works excellent. The remote even learned to control the volume on my AVR on its own. I would get a newer one just for the better chip.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Apple TV cannot use apk files. Those are Android install packages.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
...It looks like the newest models are 1440 and my TV is on the older side (Panasonic VT25 Plasma) is only 1080P. Is it best for me to look for an older generation of apple TV since I don't plan to upgrade to a 4K tv anytime soon?
No. The newest AppleTV 4K units are not 1440p, they are 4K, hence the name AppleTV 4K!

Get the newest and best which budget allows if you want to work in a Apple ecosystem. It will automatically detect the resolution of your TV and adjust the output resolution to work with your TV. So, if you only have a 1080p TV, then that is what it will work with. Just plug it in, and you are done.

Also can anyone confirm if apple TV works with Kodi and or APK's?
Kodi is not supported directly in the app store on AppleTV or for Roku devices, it looks like it may be supported on Android TV devices. If your intention is to use Kodi, then I wouldn't buy an AppleTV. Of course, with the very limited app support of Kodi, I would just use Plex if I wanted things to be easy.

As mentioned above, AppleTV does not support APKs at all. Those files are for Android devices, which Apple most definitely is not.

Not sure what your goals are here, but if you want ease of use, then neither Kodi or APKs will be a part of that. It concerns me a fair bit that you are asking about Kodi and APKs, yet don't seem to understand that AppleTV isn't going to natively support them. So, what usage do you have for those add-on items? Why would you not use Plex if you want easy media file playback?

At the end of the day, Apple is as Apple does. If you buy into the Apple ecosystem, then it is all Apple all the time. If you don't, then it will definitely limit what you may expect to get. On the other hand, if it isn't supported by Roku, then it probably isn't software worth using, or requires a far more complex and knowledgeable end user.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Video from many sites, including Kodi, can be cast to a Roku and, I assume an AppleTV from a PC- definitely from an iMac or tablet. UNtil Roku officially approves it, this may be the easiest way. Or, someone may come up with a way in developer mode, the way they did before YouTube was an actual Roku app.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
No. The newest AppleTV 4K units are not 1440p, they are 4K, hence the name AppleTV 4K!

Get the newest and best which budget allows if you want to work in a Apple ecosystem. It will automatically detect the resolution of your TV and adjust the output resolution to work with your TV. So, if you only have a 1080p TV, then that is what it will work with. Just plug it in, and you are done.

Kodi is not supported directly in the app store on AppleTV or for Roku devices, it looks like it may be supported on Android TV devices. If your intention is to use Kodi, then I wouldn't buy an AppleTV. Of course, with the very limited app support of Kodi, I would just use Plex if I wanted things to be easy.

As mentioned above, AppleTV does not support APKs at all. Those files are for Android devices, which Apple most definitely is not.

Not sure what your goals are here, but if you want ease of use, then neither Kodi or APKs will be a part of that. It concerns me a fair bit that you are asking about Kodi and APKs, yet don't seem to understand that AppleTV isn't going to natively support them. So, what usage do you have for those add-on items? Why would you not use Plex if you want easy media file playback?

At the end of the day, Apple is as Apple does. If you buy into the Apple ecosystem, then it is all Apple all the time. If you don't, then it will definitely limit what you may expect to get. On the other hand, if it isn't supported by Roku, then it probably isn't software worth using, or requires a far more complex and knowledgeable end user.
I use Kodi on my Android TV for one reason, and that's multichannel music files. Plex client doesn't play them properly on Android TV. Kodi actually can work great WITH Plex using plexkodiconnect, but the plex interface is good enough at this point I don't bother.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I use Kodi on my Android TV for one reason, and that's multichannel music files. Plex client doesn't play them properly on Android TV. Kodi actually can work great WITH Plex using plexkodiconnect, but the plex interface is good enough at this point I don't bother.
I haven't touched Kodi in a long time. I really wanted to use it as a solution for my ISO files, and it was a disaster. From setup to playback, it just didn't work well and was painful to use. I definitely would prefer a solution that really nailed the big stuff a lot better overall, and while Plex comes close, it does miss out. It would be much better if Plex could handle ISO files and could handle multi-channel formats perfectly in both audio and video files all the way up to the current generation 4K Atmos stuff and made it clear with the players what all was specifically supported.

Kodi still feels like a underground project, which is really not a bad thing, but will always limit the amount of use it gets.

I dropped several hundreds of dollars years ago to get a DuneHD just because it had ISO support, and I enjoyed it enough to get a second unit... but then I tried Plex and I dropped my demand for ISO support and I redid my entire collection in MKV format. What a pain... but it is so incredibly seamless these days.

None of this matters to the OP who may have disappeared from existence already. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I haven't touched Kodi in a long time. I really wanted to use it as a solution for my ISO files, and it was a disaster. From setup to playback, it just didn't work well and was painful to use. I definitely would prefer a solution that really nailed the big stuff a lot better overall, and while Plex comes close, it does miss out. It would be much better if Plex could handle ISO files and could handle multi-channel formats perfectly in both audio and video files all the way up to the current generation 4K Atmos stuff and made it clear with the players what all was specifically supported.

Kodi still feels like a underground project, which is really not a bad thing, but will always limit the amount of use it gets.

I dropped several hundreds of dollars years ago to get a DuneHD just because it had ISO support, and I enjoyed it enough to get a second unit... but then I tried Plex and I dropped my demand for ISO support and I redid my entire collection in MKV format. What a pain... but it is so incredibly seamless these days.

None of this matters to the OP who may have disappeared from existence already. :D
That's pretty similar to how I got to the same place you are. I used HTPCs for ever before good Android TV clients came out, because they supported everything under the sun. However, as you said, configuration and all that was a huge pain when it came to other people using it. My HTPC is a virtual machine now, but it still has it's uses. ISO support was nice in some players, but .mkv makes everything so much easier.

People think Plex is just another streaming service that come to my house.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis