Suggestions for a cheap surround sound system for my PC?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, already have headphones, and my rig has a jack so that base is covered, but that only takes care of me. I have an SPCA cat that came from an abusive home of screeching ferals and yapping yappers, so the mating howl of kidlets and barking of yappers sends him hiding under the table. Hence the need for an actual surround sound system, to create a sorta sci-fi sonic force field to blot out the noise pollution as much as possible...before I turn him into a Gabapentin addict.

I have zero interest in gaming, and not much more interest in movies...dealing with the noise pollution is my only goal. I have no problem buying from eBay, and I believe Newegg sells used and refurbished stuff now. The Logitech Z906 looks to fit the bill, and at $399 new, it should not be too hard to find a used one at $300:

I'm assuming this is a wired system (I detest wireless/wi-fi/bluetooth/IoT junk). The $400 budget is for the sound system itself. The $45 for a sound card is petty cash, and not something I need to budget for. My first choice is a computer speaker system. Second choice would be a standalone system geared towards playing CDs/DVDs...I expect that would require a CD player+amp+who knows what else...and I'd bet blow the budget.
Yes, I looked at the Z906 and it's wired. It comes with a cable with 3 stereo plugs on each end that would work with the Soundblaster. The other thing to look at is how to get all 5 channels active. Stereo music by default will use the front left and right. If you are not playing 5 channel surround music you will need a software solution that plays to all 5 channels, or at least 4 (L+R front and back). I'm not sure if the Logitech mixer will handle that. You may need to check some Logitech or PC forums.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I currently have a Logitech Z323 speaker system. Would the Klipsch Pro media 2.1 be enough improvement to warrant it?
Yes, it will. I won't recommend investing in an upgraded INTERNAL sound card. That would be a massive waste.
The previous BMX suggestion for surround headphones isn't a bad idea. I use my Senn's HD600 most of the time on my desktop set, while my JBL LSR2325p studio monitors remain turned off.
I don't recommend AudioEngine speakers, as they neither measure nor could you do better for a price, like Edifier.
I listened to AT-ATH-m50 headphones and did like the sound, not even a little bit.
I also don't recommend any Logitech speakers, as, again - you could do much better for money. Don't chase 5.1 surround at this budget - you'd end up with a crappy 5.1 or a decent 2.0 or 2.1

For the upgraded option, if you are willing to up the budget, I'd strongly recommend these:

V

velos

Enthusiast
Yes, it will. I won't recommend investing in an upgraded INTERNAL sound card. That would be a massive waste.
The previous BMX suggestion for surround headphones isn't a bad idea. I use my Senn's HD600 most of the time on my desktop set, while my JBL LSR2325p studio monitors remain turned off.
I don't recommend AudioEngine speakers, as they neither measure nor could you do better for a price, like Edifier.
I listened to AT-ATH-m50 headphones and did like the sound, not even a little bit.
I also don't recommend any Logitech speakers, as, again - you could do much better for money. Don't chase 5.1 surround at this budget - you'd end up with a crappy 5.1 or a decent 2.0 or 2.1

For the upgraded option, if you are willing to up the budget, I'd strongly recommend these:
Okay, let's table the 5.1 Surround Sound stuff completely, and start over from scratch. I have an outside noise pollution problem (yapping yappers, screeching kidlets, and assorted so-called adults that live for screaming matches). Aside from grating on my nerves, it sends my cat into red alert mode and hiding under the table, so any acceptable solution must include both of us. This in itself eliminates headphones as an option. I have a 17x17x8ft space that I want to fill with sound, of the sort I linked to in the beginning, at a volume sufficient to overwelm the outside cacophony anywhere in the room. This in itself eliminates short-range speakers like my Logitech Z323, which provides a sonic barrier of maybe six feet, beyond which the noise pollution takes over. Again the budget is $400, and I'm only interested in wired stuff. I don't tolerate wireless anything.

We are now starting with a clean slate. What exactly will do, what needs to get done?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis