Suggestion for 5.2 setup

L

LOUISCOOLBOY

Audiophyte
Hi, newbie here, i have just got the SVS Ultra Towers, Ultra Center, and surround backs, with 2 SVS SB-2000 subs.
I'm in a market for a decent HT receiver, that supports 4K 120 Hz that i can hook up to my PS5. I listen to a lot of music as well as movies.
So i have a few questions below
1) Which HT receiver would you guys recommend?
2) Is the HT receiver alone able to drive the current set up? Do i need an external amp?

Thanks

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
First question is: what's your budget? That goes a long way to determining what to suggest.

From my (admittedly) limited knowledge base, most decent AVR should have no problem powering the system you have (nice BTW) without an external amp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can't help you with 4k/120hz. The speakers will work well with an avr but depends a great deal on the levels you listen at and what distance as to how well. Try this to help you estimate your needs http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

ps If you do want to keep external amp options open down the line be sure to get an avr with a full set of pre-outs or you won't be able to do that....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
4K 120Hz = HDCP 2.3/ HDMI 2.1. So that means the new Yamaha, Denon and Marantz AVR.

For millions of people with normal hearing acuity, just the AVR alone has enough power for all their speakers.

Otherwise, there would be millions of lawsuits and millions of pissed off people.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I had the Ultra towers (and books for surround and center) for a few years and I loved them. Congrats on some badass speakers! Those are legit good speakers.

With what you want you're gonna have to go with the newest offerings and I think right now the Denon X3700 is right in the sweet spot for power and features. Plus it has a full set of preouts if you do decide to add an amp down the road. You can save a few bucks on a previous model like the 3600 but might not be as up to date as you need with HDCP 2.3/HDMI 2.1. Aside from that it'll do everything else.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis