Suggest best 5.1 system within 3200$ (3000€)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I mean the total wattage. Dennons and Marantz have 700W +
Doesn’t matter. Big numbers are just meant to make people believe that it’s a better product.
How those watts are applied is more important

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I mean the total wattage. Dennons and Marantz have 700W +
Stop it. This is not the way it's discussed :) Total wattage is meaningless. Kinda like wattage ratings on speakers aren't very meaningful either. An avr has one power supply but generally discrete amps per channel. An all-channels driven rating isn't all that useful either, but adding them all together is really useless (and usually done by retailers to impress the uninitiated with a bigger number....guys like bigger numbers).

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
Stop it. This is not the way it's discussed :) Total wattage is meaningless. Kinda like wattage ratings on speakers aren't very meaningful either. An avr has one power supply but generally discrete amps per channel. An all-channels driven rating isn't all that useful either, but adding them all together is really useless (and usually done by retailers to impress the uninitiated with a bigger number....guys like bigger numbers).
Tnx for info. I like Yamaha but DM proponents are all into DM power. I read more and more to educate myself and you are all helping

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Tnx for info. I like Yamaha but DM proponents are all into DM power. I read more and more to educate myself and you are all helping
Not sure what that means, avrs between Denon/Marantz/Yamaha are fairly similar and all about equal in amplification within similar models.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
Not sure what that means, avrs between Denon/Marantz/Yamaha are fairly similar and all about equal in amplification within similar models.
Me neither. Especially knowing you don't usually need much power for all channels.
But clearly there is a difference in total power:

Denon X4500H 710W
Yamaha RX-A3080 490W

and the gap is greater with high-end models.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Me neither. Especially knowing you don't usually need much power for all channels.

Denon X4500H 710W
Yamaha RX-A3080 490W

Those power consumption figures are just arbitrary choices taken by manufacturers to publish in their specs. They don't explain at which power outputs they were measured, it could be at 1/8 of the rated power output of amps, it could be at 1/3 of the outputs, who knows ? Those figures have nothing to do with the performance of a product.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Denon X4500H 710W
Yamaha RX-A3080 490W

As I said, this is meaningless if these are some sort of adding up. Are these some sort of power consumption figures you're quoting? If so, on what basis?

ps answered my own question, yes these are from the manual, an unspecified power consumption spec.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
As I said, this is meaningless if these are some sort of adding up. Are these some sort of power consumption figures you're quoting? If so, on what basis?

ps answered my own question, yes these are from the manual, an unspecified power consumption spec.
It is strange coming from, in fact, every Japanese company except Yamaha. A layman could think this means it delivers more power to other channels (apart from two main), more stable performance, etc. Even better sound when listening loud.

I get your point, it's marketing.

I drowned my own thread with AVRs...

I'm liking Monitor Audio 500s more and more.. as far as I read, great sound, easy on the avr, good built quality, good looking... they would look even better without silver drives but hey...half classic/half futuristic :p best of both, I hope :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'm liking Monitor Audio 500s more and more.. as far as I read, great sound, easy on the avr, good built quality, good looking... they would look even better without silver drives but hey...half classic/half futuristic :p best of both, I hope
Like I've said before... I found these to be the best OEM speakers in their class. Personally, their style helped. ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It is strange coming from, in fact, every Japanese company except Yamaha. A layman could think this means it delivers more power to other channels (apart from two main), more stable performance, etc. Even better sound when listening loud.

I get your point, it's marketing.

I drowned my own thread with AVRs...

I'm liking Monitor Audio 500s more and more.. as far as I read, great sound, easy on the avr, good built quality, good looking... they would look even better without silver drives but hey...half classic/half futuristic :p best of both, I hope :)
I don't know who is marketing with this vague consumption spec, got an example? It's nothing I'd base a decision on. Laymen who don't do their research can assume a lot of things that won't bear out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis