Suggest best 5.1 system within 3200$ (3000€)

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
Hi again,

I already posted in a DM thread and was wondering about some speakers.

I'm looking what's available in Ireland and see that the best deals are when purchasing whole system, rather than in pairs or singles.

I'm really into 3-way design, but have not that much to choose from.

I found these Dali Spektor 6 5.1

The B&W 603 5.1

The Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1

You advised me for and against the B&Ws, but the cheaper two seem too weak and low-end.

I'm not sure if someone can recommend some serious store in Ireland. I'm not interested in what's available in USA so please, with all due respect, don't bother to recommend something which is out of reach for me.

Maybe you can find something significantly better on this website and suggest me to buy a better pair first and than buy the rest of the system.

I'm really into wooden cabinets, 3-ways and up to 200W, preferably 8 ohm.

I guess you don't want to bother with a new guy here, but since you're audioholics maybe you can help one.

Tnx

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
And these look...just insane

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Personally I would go for that Dali Opticon pair... I have heard Dalis on numerous occasions and have always enjoyed them.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
Isn't a problem they are 4 ohm speakers?

I'd hook them up on some Dennon x4500h or Maranz sr7013 or Yamaha rx-a3080, not sure yet. I need power to drive 5.2 well without external amp.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Isn't a problem they are 4 ohm speakers?

I'd hook them up on some Dennon x4500h or Maranz sr7013 or Yamaha rx-a3080, not sure yet. I need power to drive 5.2 well without external amp.
What is the size of your listening room? At what distance will you be sitting from the front speakers?
Most decent AV receivers can handle 4 ohm speakers at reasonable sound pressure levels.

What's wrong with the Savins store? Can you listen to the Dali's and the Monitor Audio's at that store? Do they stock the Denon/Marantz line? If so, you might be able to listen to both speaker brands and decide for yourself.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
What is the size of your listening room? At what distance will you be sitting from the front speakers?
Most decent AV receivers can handle 4 ohm speakers at reasonable sound pressure levels.

What's wrong with the Savins store? Can you listen to the Dali's and the Monitor Audio's at that store? Do they stock the Denon/Marantz line? If so, you might be able to listen to both speaker brands and decide for yourself.
I'm not sure for the room since I'm yet to move there and find a place. I will move my system wherever I move in future so it might not be wise to talk about the room configuration. I'll get the best out of what's given that for sure.

I'm not sure if I can listen there, I'll see. I would like to narrow to a few speakers and than listen.

To me it's not about the loudness only of course, it's about the perfect sound at every range, every tone, without distortion. I'm very picky about the sound and don't want to buy some to me expensive speakers that will sound shitty.

Thanks why I'm asking her on AH forum, to help me choose from what's offered.

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
I spent quite a bit of time (meaning a few hours in store so not that long) listening to the Silver 3&500. Both really great. If you do t feel you need the added power of the 500, I’d have no reservations recommending the 300. Very good sounding, high sensitivity and great looks especially in the satin white finish imo. I brought my ascend Sierra towers to the store to compare them with the silver 500s. Both sound great. Different to be sure with the Ascends with a warmer and more forward midrange while in comparison the MA was a bit more laid back. But both excellent sounding.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Monitor audio, Focal, and Dali would top my list.

I think I mentioned to you before that I really enjoyed my experience with the MA Silvers: 300 and 500 both. Bronze line has a good reputation, but if you can step up to the Silvers, it is well worth it. Haven't heard a bad word about Dali, either.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
I guess I will complete 5.2 system later and go for a pair first. Good speakers are just expensive...no way around it. And wife likes the wooden ones, of course... I showed her the picture of Dali and she sad "hm.. nothing special" o_O But walnuts are nice :p

I'll try to buy rest of the speakers from the same brand if possible.

I hear you on the MAs, I'll see if I cans squeeze a woofer up to 3k and leave 2k for the AVR. I did read they are jot perfect in the mids I think, can't remember, but there was something about the drivers material which can sound odd.

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
Yes they are expensive and it is maddening at times deciding at what point you are happy enough not spending a “little bit” more. I flexed my budget so many times. If I’m hearing you correctly, it sounds like your concern is over the cost of the entire Silver 5.2 system? Or a similar 5.2 package? I’d say not to worry so much about that, meaning make sure your towers and center match and then look for performance/value for the rest. No reason to buy the MA sub which I’m sure sounds great but definitely not the best value. Unsure what your options are there but would look for an ID company focused on subs. For your surrounds sure it’d be nice to stay within the same line, but if they will mostly be doing surround duty for movies vs 5 channel music it’s not really a huge deal that they match your fronts.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yes they are expensive and it is maddening at times deciding at what point you are happy enough not spending a “little bit” more. I flexed my budget so many times. If I’m hearing you correctly, it sounds like your concern is over the cost of the entire Silver 5.2 system? Or a similar 5.2 package? I’d say not to worry so much about that, meaning make sure your towers and center match and then look for performance/value for the rest. No reason to buy the MA sub which I’m sure sounds great but definitely not the best value. Unsure what your options are there but would look for an ID company focused on subs. For your surrounds sure it’d be nice to stay within the same line, but if they will mostly be doing surround duty for movies vs 5 channel music it’s not really a huge deal that they match your fronts.
This!

DO NOT buy a matching sub from any company that specializes in speakers.
In Europe, people talk about XTZ and a few other companies. (Perhaps BK Elec, is one?) I'm not over there and am not familiar with the market, I'm afraid.
I do know SVS is available over there and their subs are great... but at a premium cost, even campared to here in the US... but well worth it if it fits your situation.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Matching subs might be nice for WAF/aesthetics....

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
Matching subs might be nice for WAF/aesthetics....
Yes you got that right :D

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input. Didn't realize those subs are that bad. I can judge them only by the specs.

@Mpsafranski I have foreseen 5k € for an AVR and all speakers, and it is extended already :confused:
I must ask for some deal/discount if I get everything in the same store.

I figured to pair them with a powerful AVR like Denon 4500 or 6500, depending on how much I spend on the speakers.

I'm on the forums few hours a day and I read that MA Silver 500 do need power and it's best to hook up the ext amp. I'd like to avoid this by buying more powerful AVR like those I mentioned. I hope that will suffice.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know how bad the subs are, but they likely can be bettered both in performance and value, altho that's easier here in the US I think. Have you used an spl calculator to estimate your power needs? The difference in power between 4500 and 6500 is relatively small (15 wpc or less than 1dB) so unless you're really needing something in the 6500 may as well save the money.....a more significant increase in power would come from adding an external amp with either really.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
Yes I guess you're right about the power. But they are both more than 700W. A lot more than Yamaha's, but than again Yamaha offers more on 2 channels, so who's mad here o_O . I would like to not get an ext amp but we'll see.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes I guess you're right about the power. But they are both more than 700W. A lot more than Yamaha's, but than again Yamaha offers more on 2 channels, so who's mad here o_O . I would like to not get an ext amp but we'll see.
Adding up the watts to a single total is meaningless. Yes, they're both likely to be sufficient. What Yamaha model are you referring to?

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
Adding up the watts to a single total is meaningless. Yes, they're both likely to be sufficient. What Yamaha model are you referring to?
Rx-a3080, 490W. I heard that before, but don't know where all those extra watts from D and M go? I'm not educated in electronics..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Rx-a3080, 490W. I heard that before, but don't know where all those extra watts from D and M go? I'm not educated in electronics..
Are your retailers advertising these weird wattage added-up ratings? At the same basis as the Denons, the 3080 is rated 150 wpc, which again is really insignificant, still less than a 1 dB difference from the Denon 4500's 125wpc.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
I mean the total wattage. Dennons and Marantz have 700W +

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis