Sudden problem with AVR, Blu-ray player?

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
This just started happening: I have a Yamaha RX-A1020 AVR, Yamaha BD-S477 blu-ray, and Sony Bravia 50" LCD TV. all use HDMI. When I leave a dvd in the player and power on the system with my Logitech Harmony 650 remote, the speakers will pop, the AVR display panel will flip-flop between 'decoder off' and 'Dolby Digital' and video is okay. Only the audio is affected. When I power up without anything in the player, no problems!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
This just started happening: I have a Yamaha RX-A1020 AVR, Yamaha BD-S477 blu-ray, and Sony Bravia 50" LCD TV. all use HDMI. When I leave a dvd in the player and power on the system with my Logitech Harmony 650 remote, the speakers will pop, the AVR display panel will flip-flop between 'decoder off' and 'Dolby Digital' and video is okay. Only the audio is affected. When I power up without anything in the player, no problems!
You will never sort that out. That is a a problem with CEC likely or the timing of a turn on relay circuit has changed over time. As I think about it, that is likely. Just don't power it up with a disc in. Remember to remove the disc before powering down.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

You will never sort that out. That is a a problem with CEC likely or the timing of a turn on relay circuit has changed over time. As I think about it, that is likely. Just don't power it up with a disc in. Remember to remove the disc before powering down.
I often leave a DVD in the player when powering system off, this problem just suddenly started happening. I will research CEC, that is new to me. Thanks for the reply!

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
You can turn off CEC functions in the player and manually turn it on first, a little bit before the others, might not pop then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Does the same thing happen when not using your universal remote? Have you tried soft reset for the player? What are your settings in the player for auto start, if any? If you are using ARC/HDMI-CEC then yes I'd look at that as well....

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Same problem happens using a different player; a 'region-free' Pioneer DVD. I've even tried turning everything on manually (not using Logitech Harmony 650), still happens. Maybe something going bad inside the Yamaha RX-A1020? Will try reset of that next.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Same problem happens using a different player; a 'region-free' Pioneer DVD. I've even tried turning everything on manually (not using Logitech Harmony 650), still happens. Maybe something going bad inside the Yamaha RX-A1020? Will try reset of that next.
Well, at least you have narrowed it down to the receiver. Try a reset, you might be lucky that this is a software issue. I suspect though it is an LM timer issue, as I originally suspected. Either there is a really stuck on, or it is throwing too soon.

If it does not correct with a reset, remember to take your discs out after each play. That will be cheaper than receiver replacement. Just consider yourself lucky to have an easy work around.

Quality in this home AV arena needs to increase fast, or it will kill the market. A price increase, even a substantial one, is far cheaper then premature failures.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Well, at least you have narrowed it down to the receiver. Try a reset, you might be lucky that this is a software issue. I suspect though it is an LM timer issue, as I originally suspected. Either there is a really stuck on, or it is throwing too soon.

If it does not correct with a reset, remember to take your discs out after each play. That will be cheaper than receiver replacement. Just consider yourself lucky to have an easy work around.

Quality in this home AV arena needs to increase fast, or it will kill the market. A price increase, even a substantial one, is far cheaper then premature failures.
Yea, think I narrowed it down to a problem with the RX-A1020. I turned on TV (so I can view the NetRadio menu), then turned on RX-A1020, then select NetRadio, 2-channel speaker mode, snap-crackle-pop! NEVER had that problem in the past using NetRadio! Used the Harmony 650 remote but don't see how it could be suddenly causing audio problems unless Logitech installed a 'auto-destruct device' knowing they would discontinue the Harmony!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis