Subwoofers under $300

sleevedbiker

sleevedbiker

Audiophyte
Looking at getting a new subwoofer as my old one crapped out... Does anyone know if either of these two or any good? Definitive Technology ProSub 800 or Polk Audio PSW505? ... or does anyone have any recommendations for another sub for under $300? Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Any DefTec sub wouldn't even be a consideration personally. I'd say really consider saving up a bit more for better subwoofage but if maxed out at your price point I'd perhaps consider this one especially considering their trial policy (and you can tell us all about it :) ). Or maybe I'd just get two of these instead

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Hi and welcome. Is it for music or home theater?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Sleevedbiker, I would certainly take the Emotiva over the Fluance any day of the week. But, I do admit the free shipping both ways is certainly something to consider. The BasX sub at $299 is the price shipped to you. Return shipping would be on you if you should decide to send it back.

Phil

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Two BICS would be just over budget but might just be worth it. I just saw too, 12" daytons on sale for 135. Never used one but two for less than 300 bucks. Maybe?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Looking at getting a new subwoofer as my old one crapped out... Does anyone know if either of these two or any good? Definitive Technology ProSub 800 or Polk Audio PSW505? ... or does anyone have any recommendations for another sub for under $300? Thanks
I'd avoid polk subwoofers, the two that I've owned, including that model, had lots of port noise, failed to extend below 35Hz for a 505, 40hz for psw10, and had really shoddy amplifiers. I'm talking clearly audible clipping during movies at normal volume (-20dB) in a small room.

Under 300 I'd recommend either a Dayton sub 1500 or a couple sub 1200s. That should get you an extension to 25hz solid, with enough output to fill a medium to large room. I've also heard good things about Bic F12s but haven't heard them myself.

Can't speak for any other brands.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Dayton SUB-1500 or BIC V1220 would be my recommendations within your budget. measurements of both | context + other info
I can post a 0-200hz response measurement on the sub 1500 if op is interested. I know in room I get 23hz-120hz +5dB and -3dB at 23hz with a maximum THD of 6.34% at 93hz measured @105dB. Maximum output at a distance of 3m is 105dB above 30hz and 107dB around the tuning frequency of 23hz.

The BIC subs likely have more amplifier headroom but as I previously said I haven't tested them. The sub 1500 also doubles as a great end table

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
What was your old sub and what did you like/dislike about it?
Sometimes knowing where you came from will help us direct you on what to expect (depending on how common your old sub was).

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The polk will make you sad. I've heard that sub on more than one occasion and wondered how they justified the price for such low performance.

If you are a DIY person there are way better options out there, if not then the Dayton subs are very good for the money as others have said.

Hsu and svs are even better. Buy it once and forget it...or grin ear to ear every time you use it.

ussenterprise

ussenterprise

Audiophyte
I too am in the same boat as SleevedBiker. I'm looking for that elusive great inexpensive sub generally for movie watching (though I actually need 2). Just to summarize, the following are some good choices:
  1. VTF-1M3 - $399
  2. SB12-NSD - $399
  3. BIC V1220
  4. BIC F-12
  5. Dayton 1500

At the risk of highjacking the thread, Can anyone give REALLY strong opinions For/Against anything here? Is there a better ranking order you would suggest? Are 1 & 2 very similar? Are 3 - 4 -5 also about the same for this discussion? Thanks for any guidance and hope I didn't step on SleevedBiker's toes. I'm just trying to be more educated!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The SB-12 is sealed and is also an older model AND there is only one of them at that price. VTF-1 is a new model so it should not be too hard to get and if you watch holiday sales, it may even show up for less. The BICs and Daytons aren't quite in the same league, but in the $300 range, they are likely some of your best choices.

ussenterprise

ussenterprise

Audiophyte
Excellent!! Thanks. This is the expert advice that helps us Newbies maintain focus.

ussenterprise

ussenterprise

Audiophyte
Any thoughts on the BIC PL-200? Would this compare at all to the higher end Subs or just a or more similar to the lower end of the spectrum?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
PL-200 would be closer to the F-12. The Dayton will have more output than them, but only goes down to the same ~25Hz range.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
For anyone who runs into this old thread researching budget subwoofers. I just wanted to point out that Brent Butterworth measured both Dayton Audio Subs: SUB-1200 and SUB-1500 and chose the SUB-1200 as winner of his comparison with the following explanation:
Surprisingly, the SUB-1200’s average output is almost the same as Dayton Audio’s larger, more expensive SUB-1500, the differences falling within the specified ±1 dB range of error for this measurement. That’s impressive.
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-budget-subwoofer/#the-competition

That is really disappointing, because generally you would expect to gain substantial benefits going from a 12" to a 15" driver! That should be a no-brainer and it makes me wonder if they truly screwed something up on the design of the SUB-1500 ... or maybe they just "lucked up" with the SUB-1200 being so good as it is!
However, between the added size and cost of the SUB-1500, I suspect most will be better off with the SUB-1200.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis