Subwoofers not working - I know it's been asked a 1,000 times

Seminole Nation

Seminole Nation

Audiophyte
Folks...I'm a total newbie. I have read and read...but still no luck.

Just bought a home with a theatre room equipped with a Yamaha receiver, 7 small speakers and two subwoofers. I have all the "small" speakers working (3 front, 2 side surround, and 2 back surround).

The receiver is a Yamaha RX-V483 and the subwoofers (two of them) are Polk Audio PSW 108.

The subs are wired with the same wires (1 red 1 black) that the other smaller speakers are wired with and those ends are merely connected to the spring connectors on the back (not connected with RCA wires/plugs). I have the two subwoofers terminating at and connecting to RCA connectors at the receiver end and those connectors are plugged into a RCA "Y" with a single input connector to the "Pre Out Subwoofer" jack on the receiver. I "learned" (online) that it's ok to slice in an RCA connector to the red/black speaker wires. I am wondering if that is true and if that might well be my problem.

I can't get any sounds out of the subs (other than a low pitch hum when the volume is max'd). I have tested them by plugging them into various other speaker jacks on the receiver and they seem to work just fine...so, I am pretty confident that the speakers are good and not damaged.

Help?

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Folks...I'm a total newbie. I have read and read...but still no luck.

Just bought a home with a theatre room equipped with a Yamaha receiver, 7 small speakers and two subwoofers. I have all the "small" speakers working (3 front, 2 side surround, and 2 back surround).

The receiver is a Yamaha RX-V483 and the subwoofers (two of them) are Polk Audio PSW 108.

The subs are wired with the same wires (1 red 1 black) that the other smaller speakers are wired with and those ends are merely connected to the spring connectors on the back (not connected with RCA wires/plugs). I have the two subwoofers terminating at and connecting to RCA connectors at the receiver end and those connectors are plugged into a RCA "Y" with a single input connector to the "Pre Out Subwoofer" jack on the receiver. I "learned" (online) that it's ok to slice in an RCA connector to the red/black speaker wires. I am wondering if that is true and if that might well be my problem.

I can't get any sounds out of the subs (other than a low pitch hum when the volume is max'd). I have tested them by plugging them into various other speaker jacks on the receiver and they seem to work just fine...so, I am pretty confident that the speakers are good and not damaged.

Help?
Yikes!

Just connect the subs using RCA cables from the AVR to the subs LFE or line in input. Turn the crossover on the sub all the way to the right. If your AVR doesn't have dual sub outputs then get a RCA Y cable. Whatever you're doing appears to be really FUBAR.

Seminole Nation

Seminole Nation

Audiophyte
I get that but here’s the snag.

To do what you suggest would mean I’d have wires running across the floor. There’s a sofa in the center of the room and the subs are located on either side of the sofa. The AVR is in a cabinet at the front of the room.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I get that but here’s the snag.

To do what you suggest would mean I’d have wires running across the floor. There’s a sofa in the center of the room and the subs are located on either side of the sofa. The AVR is in a cabinet at the front of the room.
Yes, you will have to run RCA cables across the floor if you want to operate your subs where you located them. Those subs are not wireless units.

Seminole Nation

Seminole Nation

Audiophyte
Thanks Verdinut...I guess I am master of the obvious in the questions I ask or don't ask. And I guess I am going on the assumption that these speakers worked (at some point in the past) wired as they are...so, apparently then, there is no way to splice the speaker wires in to RCA jacks in order to connect to the Pre Out jack

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
...so, apparently then, there is no way to splice the speaker wires in to RCA jacks in order to connect to the Pre Out jack
That has disaster written all over it. You should really find a way to run the RCA from receiver to subs or move your subs. Given a choice between using the speaker connections or RCA I would use RCA every time, and certainly not both or whatever splicing you're considering.

You can also buy wireless adapters/transmitters as an alternative...

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The SVS wireless sub kit works good if one of your subs is across the room.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can't imagine how that worked before! The connections on the subs you're using are called high level or speaker level inputs, and would be connected to the L/R speaker terminals (along with the L/R speakers) to work. Not a great way to go when you have the sub pre-out option (and corresponding low level or rca inputs on the sub), but why not simply move the subs to where the receiver is so you don't have wires across the floor?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
FWIW, trim work is great for concealing wires. I have 2 runs of RG-6(RCA to subs), and speaker cables for my rear surrounds under my base trim. It’s REALLY tight, and takes some technique but it’s in there.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Under your baseboards is a good way to go....or even look at "cable raceways" as another option of hiding wires....

Seminole Nation

Seminole Nation

Audiophyte
Thanks everyone. I think I've decided to move the sub to a place (front left of the room) where it can be wired to the AVR without a lot of effort. It also places the speaker in a place that (based on my research) is probably better than where it was...in the middle of the room. Of course, the sound checks will be the ultimate diciding factor. Thanks again!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks everyone. I think I've decided to move the sub to a place (front left of the room) where it can be wired to the AVR without a lot of effort. It also places the speaker in a place that (based on my research) is probably better than where it was...in the middle of the room. Of course, the sound checks will be the ultimate diciding factor. Thanks again!!
You could always post pics of the room for further ideas....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis