Subwoofer with vinyl setup

L

Loualex

Enthusiast
I am trying to setup a new system with turntable. I have two floorstanding speakers, paired with a subwoofer. My turntable has a built in pre amp. So now i want to pass the pre out from turntable to speakers and subwoofer without any DAC/ADC conversions. I.e. Turntable pre out to amplifier to speakers and sub. Is it possible to do? Any suggestions?

I know ideally i should have bought large speakers so that no need for a sub, but for now I am stuck with these, so any help is appreciated.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
An analog integrated amp would probably work if it has a sub pre-out. If your turntable has a built in pre-amp you can use a variety of amps without a built in phono stage altho probably most of the integrated amps will have one built in. Your sub may have the ability to accept speaker level input....what sub is it? What's your budget? Why the fear of the adc/dac?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I am trying to setup a new system with turntable. I have two floorstanding speakers, paired with a subwoofer. My turntable has a built in pre amp. So now i want to pass the pre out from turntable to speakers and subwoofer without any DAC/ADC conversions. I.e. Turntable pre out to amplifier to speakers and sub. Is it possible to do? Any suggestions?

I know ideally i should have bought large speakers so that no need for a sub, but for now I am stuck with these, so any help is appreciated.
Because you mentioned a sub woofer, and DAC/ADC conversions, I assume you're connecting your turntable to an AV receiver (AVR).

Connect the pre outs from your turntable to any left/right pair of standard RCA input jacks on your AVR. However, do not connect them to any RCA input jacks labeled PHONO, if your AVR has them. PHONO input jacks mean that your AVR has a built-in internal phono pre amp. Use either the phono pre amp in your turntable, or the one in your AVR, but do not use both.

Some AVRs convert all analog inputs to digital (ADC) and other allow bypassing the ADC. Read your manual to see what choices your AVR allows. If your AVR does not allow you the choice to bypass the ADC, I wouldn't worry about it. Despite what you may have been told, this hasn't been known to produce lower sound quality.

Last edited:
L

Loualex

Enthusiast
Because you mentioned a sub woofer, and DAC/ADC conversions, I assume your connecting your turntable to an AV receiver (AVR).

Connect the pre outs from your turntable to any left/right pair of standard RCA input jacks on your AVR. However, do not connect them to any RCA input jacks labeled PHONO, if your AVR has them. PHONO input jacks mean that your AVR has a built-in internal phono pre amp. Use either the phono pre amp in your turntable, or the one in your AVR, but do not use both.

Some AVRs convert all analog inputs to digital (ADC) and other allow bypassing the ADC. Read your manual to see what choices your AVR allows. If your AVR does not allow you the choice to bypass the ADC, I wouldn't worry about it. Despite what you may have been told, this hasn't been known to produce lower sound quality.

You are correct, i am using an avr. It is anthem mrx 700 which is great for digital formats. Unfortunately it doesnt have phono inputs or bypass modes. Since i have changed to this avr my turntable just doesnt sound good, so i am assuming it is adc/dac coversion that is causing this issue.

L

Loualex

Enthusiast
An analog integrated amp would probably work if it has a sub pre-out. If your turntable has a built in pre-amp you can use a variety of amps without a built in phono stage altho probably most of the integrated amps will have one built in. Your sub may have the ability to accept speaker level input....what sub is it? What's your budget? Why the fear of the adc/dac?
Thanks it is a yamaha powered sub, with a knob on the back to adjust bass level. I can look up more details and provide you. I am using an anthem mrx 700 avr and since i changed to this avr my turntable doesnt sound great. So i want to change to someyhing that can bypass the whole adc/dac conversion.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks it is a yamaha powered sub, with a knob on the back to adjust bass level. I can look up more details and provide you. I am using an anthem mrx 700 avr and since i changed to this avr my turntable doesnt sound great. So i want to change to someyhing that can bypass the whole adc/dac conversion.
What did you use before you had this avr? Doubtful its the adc/dac that's your issue, tho (and likely exists on many records during the recording process anyways). Budget?

L

Loualex

Enthusiast
What did you use before you had this avr? Doubtful its the adc/dac that's your issue, tho (and likely exists on many records during the recording process anyways). Budget?
I was using a yamaha rx v389 avr before that and the turntable used to sound ok, not great though in straight mode. With mrx700 digital formats improved signicantly but the turntable sq deteriorated. I am looking to spend up to 1k in used components.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was using a yamaha rx v389 avr before that and the turntable used to sound ok, not great though in straight mode. With mrx700 digital formats improved signicantly but the turntable sq deteriorated. I am looking to spend up to 1k in used components.
Did you use the tt's built-in preamp for that old avr? What tt is it?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
By any chance, does your turntable have a switch to turn on the phono pre amp? Is it on? Can it switch between moving magnet (MM) or moving coil (MC) phono cartridges, and does that switch correspond to the type of cartridge you have?

I agree with lovinthehd, I have never noticed any audible effect of ACD or DAC conversions in the receivers I've known. I'm surprised at what you've described.

L

Loualex

Enthusiast
By any chance, does your turntable have a switch to turn on the phono pre amp? Is it on? Can it switch between moving magnet (MM) or moving coil (MC) phono cartridges, and does that switch correspond to the type of cartridge you have?

I agree with lovinthehd, I have never noticed any audible effect of ACD or DAC conversions in the receivers I've known. I'm surprised at what you've described.
It is audio technica lp60. It has a switch on the back to switch between pre amp vs phono. It is my first turntable, so also open to upgrading that if you think it is not good.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It is audio technica lp60. It has a switch on the back to switch between pre amp vs phono. It is my first turntable, so also open to upgrading that if you think it is not good.
Well I certainly wouldn't buy $1000 worth of amp for it, that's a pretty low end entry tt/cartridge...if you really are serious about getting into vinyl that is (I wouldn't start from scratch these days, I just keep mine around mostly for nostalgia).

L

Loualex

Enthusiast
Well I certainly wouldn't buy $1000 worth of amp for it, that's a pretty low end entry tt/cartridge...if you really are serious about getting into vinyl that is (I wouldn't start from scratch these days, I just keep mine around mostly for nostalgia).
Any suggestion for tt in upto 500 range? Or can i change anyvpart on the lp60?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Any suggestion for tt in upto 500 range? Or can i change anyvpart on the lp60?
The LP60 isn't worth fiddling with, just use it as is. Haven't shopped tt's in a long time but the upper end Audio Technica would be better (the 1240 I think its called now)...many have scored pretty good deals on old used turntables, too. Check what models fit your price range with Pro-Ject, Rega, U-Turn off the top of my head if you'd rather go with a belt drive. Don't forget the cost of the cartridge, too.

L

Loualex

Enthusiast
The LP60 isn't worth fiddling with, just use it as is. Haven't shopped tt's in a long time but the upper end Audio Technica would be better (the 1240 I think its called now)...many have scored pretty good deals on old used turntables, too. Check what models fit your price range with Pro-Ject, Rega, U-Turn off the top of my head if you'd rather go with a belt drive. Don't forget the cost of the cartridge, too.
Thanks. I will look in to those names. What do you suggest with anthem mrx700? I am considering re0lacing it with an old parasound 7100 pre/pro and a rotel 956 amp. You think that will make any difference? The anthem is rated very highly but that is mainly due to its room correction, may be it is k9t as good for anlog.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Make certain that switch is set to pre amp. I'd even toggle back and forth once or twice.

Try listening with your turntable set to phono. How does that sound compared to when the switch is set to pre amp? If there is no difference, the built-in pre amp isn't working. You can return the turntable, or buy an inexpensive, under $100, external phono pre amp. Audio Technica makes a good one in that price range, the PEQ3. I use one and I would recommend it. It is no longer sold in the USA, but a Japanese import is available through Amazon for $79.

It could help us understand what might be wrong if you try to describe what you hear when you play a record over your current system?

L

Loualex

Enthusiast
Thanks. It only works with the pre amp switched on. It does not work with phono because my avr does not have a phono input.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks. It only works with the pre amp switched on. It does not work with phono because my avr does not have a phono input.
Have you tried it switched to phono? You may have to turn up the volume, but you will hear sound. It will be weak, tinny sounding, lacking bass.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. I will look in to those names. What do you suggest with anthem mrx700? I am considering re0lacing it with an old parasound 7100 pre/pro and a rotel 956 amp. You think that will make any difference? The anthem is rated very highly but that is mainly due to its room correction, may be it is k9t as good for anlog.
I don't look to electronics to impart sound signature, most of it is in the speakers and the room. I prefer digital, too. Anthem is usually praised by owners for the sound, which well could be the result of ARC but I think overall it's fine. You might do better with a different cartridge as a way to tweak the sound when it comes to playing vinyl but I don't think that particular record player you have offers that as an option; IIRC you can change only stylus, not cartridge (probably the best reason to upgrade player).

L

Loualex

Enthusiast
Thanks. Was able to sort this out by tweaking some settings on the anthem mrx 700 after speaking with the anthem customer service. Plus, i think there was also some lint stuck to the edge of the needle, so when i cleaned the needle, the turntable sq improved immediately. The reason i was able to identify that issue was that after a point the turntable started slipping compketely andt then i noticed a piece of lint stuck to the needle. So i am guessing the lint had started gathering on the needle for some timenow. I think it came from the felt mat that comes with the audio technica turntable.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. Was able to sort this out by tweaking some settings on the anthem mrx 700 after speaking with the anthem customer service. Plus, i think there was also some lint stuck to the edge of the needle, so when i cleaned the needle, the turntable sq improved immediately. The reason i was able to identify that issue was that after a point the turntable started slipping compketely andt then i noticed a piece of lint stuck to the needle. So i am guessing the lint had started gathering on the needle for some timenow. I think it came from the felt mat that comes with the audio technica turntable.
Just part of the fun of vinyl, constant vigil against dust on the record as well as the stylus :) I keep a stylus brush right on my turntable. Never used a felt mat myself, don't see any need for that, my stock rubber one (Technics) does just fine.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis