Subwoofer under riser

B

Bj33786

Audiophyte
Hello folks,
I’m planing a dedicated home theater 17feet wide, 24 feet long and 10feet high. I’m planning on a 7.2.4 setup.
I plan on using at least one if not two theater risers. My question is whether it’s reasonable to place my subwoofers in the empty space beneath the risers. If I place them here, they’ll be on concrete unless I finish the area.

My goal is to have all hidden speakers so all the others will be in wall and behind acoustically transparent screens.

any thoughts?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well I wouldn’t say it’s impossible. But I also can’t say it would be effective. First you’d have to build the riser with the proper dimensions to correctly facilitate the size needed. Also, I don’t know how it would work with room acoustics. I would recommend in room subwoofers, as I just have no knowledge about building a riser into a sub.
My choice would be in room subs with this...

The Hideaway Theater
It’s mostly for tactile response, and delivers couch shaking power below about 20hz, but you can set the slopes however you want. Some people do use it with the IR subs off as to not wake anybody else.
For building the riser into an actual subwoofer, find the driver you want to use, and then use bass box pro, or WINISD to model the driver for the correct dimensions. Could be cool...

B

Bj33786

Audiophyte
If I were to just buy a couple ported subs like svs to put under the risers, any thoughts on whether a front facing or downward facing woofer would be better?

acoustically I’m not sure if it would have much effect given that it’ll be surrounded by risers

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis