Subwoofer, too close to Front Speakers?

Cain Highwind

Cain Highwind

Enthusiast
I'm setting up my Onkyo HT-R520, and have a bit of a dilemma. I've got my 30" Widescreen TV on of those "sideways H" shelves/TV stands and JUST enough room to place the front speakers on both sides. Well Just underneath the front speaker on the sort of side shelf (remember sideways H here) The Subwoofer fits perfectly, but it's right underneath the left speaker.

Is this a good idea? I'm kind of tight on space but if this kind setup isn't recommended I'll try putting my subwoofer further away. It just fits so well, and it's 1/3 of the way along the wall (like the Onkyo manual recommends)

SilverMK3

SilverMK3

Audioholic
The subwoofer may sound "boomier" if its in a cubby, but I don't think placement relative to the main speakers really matters. Are you able put the sub anywhere else in the room? Generally you want to keep it a couple of feet away from the wall and avoid placing it in a corner.

Cain Highwind

Cain Highwind

Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply (I was thinking no one ever would). Well, if I were to move it, it would have to be in the corner or right next to the wall. Getting it fully setup I'd have to say it sounds great (although I'm no audio expert).

If anything with it only being a couple of inches away from the TV there's some slight color burn in the corner, but since the TV degauzes (sp?) itself everytime it turns on, I find this not to be a big issue.

I was mostly wondering if the subwoofer would interfere with the front speaker it was so close to, but it seems to not be the case both from what you're saying and my experience thus far.

Thanks.

Rocky

Rocky

Audioholic
umm... i beg to disagree. Subs should always be placed in the corner for better sound reproduction and overall quality. thats just my opinion though.

L

LinnUser

Audiophyte
Subs DO NOT go into a corner

Just try talking continously and back yourself into a corner. The earlier comment was correct, you do get a boomier effect. A sub in a corner muffles the sound and degrades the sound production, making it less clear and precise.

L

LinnUser

Audiophyte
If it sounds better, it is better

Hey Cain,
How does the subwoofer sound there? Try playing a 30 second clip of a CD, then moving the subwoofer further out and playing that clip again. Try doing this with just the subwoofer on. Keep doing this untill you find the position that has the most bass without being muffled, i.e. still has clear and distinct notes.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis