Subwoofer that I can feel?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'm looking for new subs and I am currently demoing the svs ultra sb16, but its leaving me disappointed. I was also looking at the rythmik f18 or the 15, or even the monoprice subs, but heard mixed reviews on quality of production of the monolith subs. Any other recommendation, preferably sealed as I hate port chuffing and don't want to deal with that if I push the subs to hard, and under 2000 per sub. And I dont know about hsu, I'm just too used to my 1700watt sub to go down in wattage, due to my bad experience with a klipsch 12 that was 250 watt rms then going to the paradigm studio sub 12 with 1700 watts was just night and day. I want something that would produce low end like edge of tomorrow opening or the black hawk down helicopter scene where you can feel the room rumbling, which the paradigm can do, but it isn't so good with the higher frequency bass notes, due to a bad room null from 50-70hz. Wish I went dual before the paradigm stopped selling that sub otherwise I would have been set.:rolleyes: But starting at square one.
For your budget at 4000 your really looking at the Rhythmik FV18's or the JTR captivator 2400 ULF these are the only 2 off the bat that hit your budget (The Rhythmik) the JTR will exceed your budget a bit but I believe Jeff will discount if buying pairs but it will get you there a bit better then even the FV18.

It has a 10hz native tune according to the specs

JTR has a sealed sub with dual 18's can't remember the name that will do it but it will exceed your budget.

Rhythmiks sealed F25HP will get you there in duals but may exceed your budget

I think Power Sound Audio has a dual 18 sealed that will get you there and may hit your budget. There is no 3rd party testing to verify tho but I like the owner Tom V we've chatted a couple times when I was deciding on my system he is a good dude treats customers right

All these companies offer exceptional customer service I've spoken to all of them

Keep in mind subs like these are HUGE HEAVY and require MASSIVE amounts of power to get you there the sealed even more power and won't be small either you need to factor the size and power requirements going in

Make sure you know your subs optimal response places in the room the best places to put them where they sound best in your room

Make sure to measure for them in those spots so you know they fit

Make sure to have dedicated power outlets 20amp circuits for the subs if you want to push them to there fullest

And make sure you have the equipment and ability to safely move these around and place them

Even the sealed subs on a lottof these are going to weigh more then a 100 lbs

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Using EOT as a baseline for criteria is shortsighted as @Pogre said. That stuff is out there but the majority of films that roll off at about 18-20hz. Even worse is that even more roll off at 30. It sure how many times you want to watch Olympus has fallen or hacksaw ridge etc. Again, a bunch of movies go into the single digits, but the majority does not even get close.
Ported is definitely the way to go. It can take up to four comparable sealed subs to equal the output of the same ported sub. If the only criteria is hitting 10hz for 4K, I’d look at a pair of fv18’s. The next thing I’d look at is four of the MK2’s from HSU. The next problem is the room is square, tricky for subs.
Is it open to other rooms? Multiple JTR will be over budget. How much are you going to be able to hear chuffing over all the other stuff in the track?

Or as said. A couple LLT sonosubs with these.

And speaker power amps.

Also, PSA has some nice newer stuff.
Or raise the budget and get a pair of these.

Almost all companies will give discounts for multiples.
+1 on the issue of overpowering the rest of the system if cranking it up to get you there overwhelms the rest of the system what's the point?

Also you better make sure you have everything tacked down and reinforced in that house

Even my PB 4000's in my theater room literally had insulation from the attic fall through the cracks in the attic door in the theater room when I cranked it the other day I kid you not and that room has been reinforced and that was in standard mode not extended mode

I can't imagine what some of these monsters could do

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
How is the HSU vtf 15 in terms of DB output compared to the rythmik 15 or 18

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Subtract 9db from the numbers HSU gives you on there site because they only measure to 1m then compare the results on data bass to the rythmik 18 and 18 on data bass they already measure to 2m so the data should be compare

But please remember total output at max driving levels is not the only criteria you need to look at when looking at subs

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Tuning point extension and so many other tests need to be looked at plus room size possible expectations of room gain seating distance total cubic volume of air the subs need to work in etc etc there are a lot of things to look at before buying

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Any of you peeps ever play the Telarc 1812 overture recorded with actual cannons? Never had a big sub to see how that sounded with the deepest bass.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Any of you peeps ever play the Telarc 1812 overture recorded with actual cannons? Never had a big sub to see how that sounded with the deepest bass.
Yes I have. It’s pretty awesome. I only have extension to about 14hz but yeah. Pretty cool. I think Ch4 if master and commander(NOT the bd which is filters at 30hzh is better.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
With what subs
Two pc12pluses, and a psw505. YeH, I know. Long story on the Polk. Believe it or not I traded an sb2k to my friend for it. He needed a sub more than I did.

This is my last graph. I do have new subs on my shopping list. While you can see I have nice response, I’m always cognizant if the MV. I do run a house curve and I would like some more headroom since I have a lot of airspace.

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
Two pc12pluses, and a psw505. YeH, I know. Long story on the Polk. Believe it or not I traded an sb2k to my friend for it. He needed a sub more than I did.

This is my last graph. I do have new subs on my shopping list. While you can see I have nice response, I’m always cognizant if the MV. I do run a house curve and I would like some more headroom since I have a lot of airspace.
Which subs are you looking at, or dont know what to get just like me lol, and how well does the polk integrate with the pc12, I've heard mixed things about using different subs

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Which subs are you looking at, or dont know what to get just like me lol, and how well does the polk integrate with the pc12, I've heard mixed things about using different subs
Well mixing subs can be a beotch. The two pluses do almost all of the work. I use a minidsp to integrate them all 3 together. The Polk is special. By itself, it’s a horrible subwoofer that is fitting of its entry level price. I use my the mini to HP and LP it between 30 and about 60hz. Natively it falls off a cliff at about 25hz and above 70 or 80 hz it starts making bad noises and they just get worse when pushed hard. I probably should just take it out but the way it’s setup seems to be working(see graph lol). So yeah. Different subs shouldn’t really just be used willy nilly, and ideally matching is best.

As for upgrading, what’s on my immediate radar are the HSU and Rythmiks that I linked. Of course I’m plenty aware of almost anything available but I have to be realistic too. I’ve pushed my WAF to the limit, and I don’t see being able to install four 15” subs. So the fv18’s are compelling since they could be swapped for my cylinders fairly easily without being too obvious visually. PC 4K’s would be excellent too, but for the same money, the 18’s win. SVS has exemplary CS but I don’t need the dsp, or the app really so for me, value again goes to the 18’s.
The fv15hp is naturally on the list too but you know...lol. Also, the SI driver I linked would make for an absolutely beast.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just did right now. I wasn't sure when the cannons go off but there's no question when you hear it, that's for sure! I never heard that recording with real cannons before.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I just did right now. I wasn't sure when the cannons go off but there's no question when you hear it, that's for sure! I never heard that recording with real cannons before.
The two best recordings of that work with real cannons are: Telarc label with the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra in both SACD and Cd formats and
Mercury label with the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra with Bronze Cannon ( Douay, France (1775)
(Digitally remastered recording of 1958)

Last edited:
I

inverse_space

Audiophyte
If you are not looking to go ported, and don't mind one sub the $4000 MARIANA 24SC 24" SUBWOOFER is sealed and has extension down past 10Hz at respectable dB's.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The two best recordings of that work with real cannons are: Telarc label with the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra in both SACD and Cd formats and
Mercury label with the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra with Bronze Cannon ( Douay, France (1775)
(Digitally remastered recording of 1959)
Yeah, I found it on YouTube so I'm sure it wasn't the best quality available, but they were supposedly real cannons and my walls were really shaking!

Watch your volume when playing the video below! There are some stressful, speaker breaking dynamic peaks in this recording!

Last edited:
Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
I really don't recommend the Telarc 1812 disc. It can do serious harm to your speakers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I really don't recommend the Telarc 1812 disc. It can do serious harm to your speakers.
Well then, I should probably edit a warning into the video above. It says in the title it's an HD rip from the Telarc disc...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd rather find something else to play back in general than the 1812....my dad did enjoy that one a lot to shock us....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis