Subwoofer that I can feel?

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
I'm looking for new subs and I am currently demoing the svs ultra sb16, but its leaving me disappointed. I was also looking at the rythmik f18 or the 15, or even the monoprice subs, but heard mixed reviews on quality of production of the monolith subs. Any other recommendation, preferably sealed as I hate port chuffing and don't want to deal with that if I push the subs to hard, and under 2000 per sub. And I dont know about hsu, I'm just too used to my 1700watt sub to go down in wattage, due to my bad experience with a klipsch 12 that was 250 watt rms then going to the paradigm studio sub 12 with 1700 watts was just night and day. I want something that would produce low end like edge of tomorrow opening or the black hawk down helicopter scene where you can feel the room rumbling, which the paradigm can do, but it isn't so good with the higher frequency bass notes, due to a bad room null from 50-70hz. Wish I went dual before the paradigm stopped selling that sub otherwise I would have been set.:rolleyes: But starting at square one.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
How many subs are you looking for? What's your total budget? Are you opposed to building your own?

If you're looking for something that will energize the room at that low of a frequency (I think EOT is around 10 Hz if memory serves me) you're going to want to go with at least two big ported subs (15" or bigger) or possibly 4 big sealed subs(18" or bigger). If you look at the frequency response graphs provided by SVS, you'll see that the SB16 is down almost 20db at 10 Hz. The PB16 Ultra would probably be a little bit better at that depth, but not by a whole lot.

The problem is that most subs will have some sort of filter built in to protect them from blowing themselves up trying to reproduce that frequency at high levels, which is why you end up needing multiples.

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
I dont wanna spend more that $4000 for dual subs, I was looking at building my own sub, but cant find any amps that can output big power with an auto on function, or pro amps that can use a 12v trigger from a preamp, without having the jump through hoops to get it to integrate with a home theater preamp. I like the rythmik 18 but haven't seen much reviews on youtube about it, or comparing it to the SB-16. And I have seen videos of the PB16 port chuffing at the EOT scene, which is a no go for me. I dont know how the rectangle port on the monolith would work against that, but then again I have seen people on here saying they have had trouble on the amps that came with the sub.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Any single ported sub is going to chuff if you're asking it to put out substantial volume at 10 Hz, there's no real way around it that I'm aware of, except maybe a big marty cube, but I'm not all that familiar with them.

Crown XLS series 2 amps can utilize a 12 v trigger and make big power. I've got one feeding 1500 watts to my UM-18. You will need a mini-dsp for eq if you go the build your own route. The 2x4 HD would be good for you as it can take 2 inputs and has 4 outputs.

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
Any single ported sub is going to chuff if you're asking it to put out substantial volume at 10 Hz, there's no real way around it that I'm aware of, except maybe a big marty cube, but I'm not all that familiar with them.

Crown XLS series 2 amps can utilize a 12 v trigger and make big power. I've got one feeding 1500 watts to my UM-18. You will need a mini-dsp for eq if you go the build your own route. The 2x4 HD would be good for you as it can take 2 inputs and has 4 outputs.
Would I need a mini-dsp, or if I did go that route could I use my Yamaha's PEQ for the sub output to eq it?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Would I need a mini-dsp, or if I did go that route could I use my Yamaha's PEQ for the sub output to eq it?
You would need a mini-dsp, it's much much more capable than the Yamaha's PEQ. You can boost/cut multiple frequencies as well as apply appropriate filters to protect the driver (which the Yammy can't do).

Another important question, how big is the room the system is in? Is it open to other areas of the house or completely sealed off?

Edited to add: A Hsu sub will be much more comparable to anything from SVS than anything from Klipsch.

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
It's an inlaw with a kitchen, 19x19. With 8ft ceilings, and that's why I need dual subs to help with the nasty null I have

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
You would need a mini-dsp, it's much much more capable than the Yamaha's PEQ. You can boost/cut multiple frequencies as well as apply appropriate filters to protect the driver (which the Yammy can't do).

Another important question, how big is the room the system is in? Is it open to other areas of the house or completely sealed off?

Edited to add: A Hsu sub will be much more comparable to anything from SVS than anything from Klipsch.
What about rythmik?

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic

How did you integrate the 3.5mm jack trigger on the back of the receiver to the crown amp?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
What about rythmik?
Rhythmik is a good brand also, just as good as Hsu and SVS. Outside of building your own, Hsu is generally your biggest bang for the buck.

Not sure if you have to worry about the wife approval factor (WAF), but If you really want the ultimate in low bass check out the DIY devastator designs at GSG Audio design. They're 21 inch horn loaded subs, they will get low and loud.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
How did you integrate the 3.5mm jack trigger on the back of the receiver to the crown amp?
I didn't, I just leave my amp on all the time, but many others have. It runs so cool that heat build up isn't an issue.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I'm looking for new subs and I am currently demoing the svs ultra sb16, but its leaving me disappointed. I was also looking at the rythmik f18 or the 15, or even the monoprice subs, but heard mixed reviews on quality of production of the monolith subs. Any other recommendation, preferably sealed as I hate port chuffing and don't want to deal with that if I push the subs to hard, and under 2000 per sub. And I dont know about hsu, I'm just too used to my 1700watt sub to go down in wattage, due to my bad experience with a klipsch 12 that was 250 watt rms then going to the paradigm studio sub 12 with 1700 watts was just night and day. I want something that would produce low end like edge of tomorrow opening or the black hawk down helicopter scene where you can feel the room rumbling, which the paradigm can do, but it isn't so good with the higher frequency bass notes, due to a bad room null from 50-70hz. Wish I went dual before the paradigm stopped selling that sub otherwise I would have been set.:rolleyes: But starting at square one.
check out subwoofers from JTR. I think they might work for you.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic

Here is a 3rd party site with measurements of subwoofers. Jtr Rythmik and funk audio are all there. If your seeking 10hz jtr 2400 or Rythmik fv18 are your turn key ready best bet. A sealed sub is not going to have low frequency output spl like a ported subwoofer

Play with the site they have diy subs as well that can get you there too.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You can't judge a subwoofer by wattage. If you don't understand how to shop for subs and interpret test data you are going to run into problems.
This is a good place to start:

DIY options will yield better results for the money spent. This is true, and should be strongly considered. However, chasing after very high ULF output in a way that will not damage your drivers is something that requires skill and knowledge... and will still require a good outlay of cash.

Data Bass is a great site with a lot of useful info.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I dont wanna spend more that $4000 for dual subs, I was looking at building my own sub, but cant find any amps that can output big power with an auto on function, or pro amps that can use a 12v trigger from a preamp, without having the jump through hoops to get it to integrate with a home theater preamp. I like the rythmik 18 but haven't seen much reviews on youtube about it, or comparing it to the SB-16. And I have seen videos of the PB16 port chuffing at the EOT scene, which is a no go for me. I dont know how the rectangle port on the monolith would work against that, but then again I have seen people on here saying they have had trouble on the amps that came with the sub.
The EOT scene is something that almost NEVER happens in real applications! That is ridiculously deep! You can't even hear it when reproduced correctly! I have dual ported 15s that never chuff but they will with that scene!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's not the first time I've seen someone bring that scene up. It should never be used as a benchmark. That's ridiculous.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A diy LLT sub for 10hz might be one route. You can always use a smart strip to turn on sub amps (I do for my Crowns). Or multiple big sealed....check out Deep Sea Sounds, believe their SpeakerPower amps have auto-on feature. I also wondered about the wattage thing without discussion of the sensitivity or impedance of the system....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Using EOT as a baseline for criteria is shortsighted as @Pogre said. That stuff is out there but the majority of films that roll off at about 18-20hz. Even worse is that even more roll off at 30. It sure how many times you want to watch Olympus has fallen or hacksaw ridge etc. Again, a bunch of movies go into the single digits, but the majority does not even get close.
Ported is definitely the way to go. It can take up to four comparable sealed subs to equal the output of the same ported sub. If the only criteria is hitting 10hz for 4K, I’d look at a pair of fv18’s. The next thing I’d look at is four of the MK2’s from HSU. The next problem is the room is square, tricky for subs.
Is it open to other rooms? Multiple JTR will be over budget. How much are you going to be able to hear chuffing over all the other stuff in the track?

Or as said. A couple LLT sonosubs with these.

And speaker power amps.

Also, PSA has some nice newer stuff.
Or raise the budget and get a pair of these.

Almost all companies will give discounts for multiples.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis