Subwoofer suggestions?

S

Stuart1992

Audiophyte
First time posting hopefully this is proper section, I am currently looking for a subwoofer in Canada from an internet direct seller or retail. Price range up to 1000$$. something that's going to give me the most room filling sound and that wow factor when watching movies. My room is 14x14 roughly 9 foot ceilings, fronts are def tech bp10bs, def tech c1 center, def tech bp2x and 1x surrounds. Receiver is pioneer elite lx101. I've auditioned a sealed sunfire hrs12 in house and was unimpressed with output as with a paradigm dsp3200. currently have a supercube3 from def tech. Open to suggestions..

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
There are such monstrous import fees for electronics going to Canada, it hard to say what would fit your budget. I would look at products from Hsu Research, Outlaw Audio, Rythmik Audio, SVS, and Monoprice Monolith.

S

Stuart1992

Audiophyte
There are such monstrous import fees for electronics going to Canada, it hard to say what would fit your budget. I would look at products from Hsu Research, Outlaw Audio, Rythmik Audio, SVS, and Monoprice Monolith.
I can get a svs pb2000 for 1079 free shipping from a store in Canada.. not sure if that's enough sub for me, as I have never heard svs products. Definitely don't want to be underwhelmed if I'm spending a grand on a product I can' test haha

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I don't know about import fees. But, I took delivery of the Monoprice Monolith 10" in December.
Wonderful sub. At $500 USD, you could get two and completely balance and blanket yourself.
Don't know about exchange rate either, but I can vouch for the Monolith.
Also the Hsu. I have listened to the Hsu stuff in homes here in Arizona. Definitely enough. Definitely.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I can get a svs pb2000 for 1079 free shipping from a store in Canada.. not sure if that's enough sub for me, as I have never heard svs products. Definitely don't want to be underwhelmed if I'm spending a grand on a product I can' test haha
I think the PB2000 will have stronger and cleaner deep bass than the Sunfire HRS12 or Paradigm DSP3200 but probably not a lot more powerful above 30 Hz. From SVS, I would look at the PC12-Plus, costs a bit more but has a higher ratio of price/performance.

Adminhor

Adminhor

Audiophyte
Rythmik FVX15 which is the lower powered version of the FV15, new Monoprice 12" THX sub, and SVS PC12 Plus. HSU is still using old BASH amps and are due for an upgrade any time. I wouldn't bother with Sunfire or Paradigm, they're old news in the subwoofer department.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
The resulting product - taken as a whole - is all that should really matter, so HSU using a BASH amplifier is not really a concern. Their products are universally lauded for the sound quality and value they provide, and in the end that's the true goal.

C

Chief2001

Audioholic Intern
I am in a similar situation to you. I live in Canada, have a similar sized room, am looking at the same price point, and am looking at purchasing my first subwoofer (for a music only system though). After all my reading and video watching, I have narrowed it down to an HSU VTF-2 MK5. It comes in at just over $1000 Canadian with shipping, taxes, duties and exchange rate. It appears to be quite a capable sub and I am looking forward to ordering it. Would have also liked to try the HSU VTF-3, but it would easily be another $800. Got to love the exchange rate.

C

Chief2001

Audioholic Intern
The only issue with the HSU 15H is that by the time it is shipped to Canada and duty and exchange rate are factored in it would be $2000, twice the OPs budget. Brilliant subwoofer though!

M

Masher59

Junior Audioholic
The only issue with the HSU 15H is that by the time it is shipped to Canada and duty and exchange rate are factored in it would be $2000, twice the OPs budget. Brilliant subwoofer though!
Yea that’s a no go there. When I was in Canada I would ship things to a friend in Detroit and pick it up myself and drive it across. Ok so maybe it was smuggling but it was just electronics, cigarettes and booze lol.

C

Chief2001

Audioholic Intern
Too bad you can't put a 100 pound subwoofer in your coat pocket :)!

C

Chief2001

Audioholic Intern
Hey Stuart, did you make your decision? If so, what did you go with?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
electronicsforless.ca sells SVS, should be able to get reasonable pricing and free shipping. For a Music system an SB2000 would be a nice addition with a small form factor. If you prefer heavy bass music, look into a PB2000.

SheepStar

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I am in a similar situation to you. I live in Canada, have a similar sized room, am looking at the same price point, and am looking at purchasing my first subwoofer (for a music only system though). After all my reading and video watching, I have narrowed it down to an HSU VTF-2 MK5. It comes in at just over $1000 Canadian with shipping, taxes, duties and exchange rate. It appears to be quite a capable sub and I am looking forward to ordering it. Would have also liked to try the HSU VTF-3, but it would easily be another $800. Got to love the exchange rate.
You are making a really good case for saving up a bit more and buying a Canadian made Funk Audio subwoofer!;)

I don't understand why no one in Canada has started making ID subs that are more value oriented like Hsu or PSA. I guess SVS would be the biggest competition to beat. They distribute in Canada so the import duties don't hit so hard (as I understand it).
SVS loses to Hsu, PSA, and Rythmik because they are a bit overpriced in the USA (but still worth it to someone who needs the piano gloss finish or the 45 day risk free trial). But after the duties on the others, SVS may well be the best value in Canada.

S

Stuart1992

Audiophyte
You are making a really good case for saving up a bit more and buying a Canadian made Funk Audio subwoofer!;)

I don't understand why no one in Canada has started making ID subs that are more value oriented like Hsu or PSA. I guess SVS would be the biggest competition to beat. They distribute in Canada so the import duties don't hit so hard (as I understand it).
SVS loses to Hsu, PSA, and Rythmik because they are a bit overpriced in the USA (but still worth it to someone who needs the piano gloss finish or the 45 day risk free trial). But after the duties on the others, SVS may well be the best value in Canada.
Haven' made a decision yet but have been thinking about maybe going the diy route as I am a carpenter for a living and would have no issue making any style box.. long process in no rush for purchase right now as I have a super cube 3 to atleast fill in some bass..

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Haven' made a decision yet but have been thinking about maybe going the diy route as I am a carpenter for a living and would have no issue making any style box.. long process in no rush for purchase right now as I have a super cube 3 to atleast fill in some bass..
Excellent!
Check out the DIY sub-forum (which is more or less a DIY-Sub forum since subs are such a high value diy project)! Give a budget, any size restrictions, whether you are going to use for HT (do you need a LFE subwoofer or just a good solid woofer) to get started and the guys will set you up with a design to fit your requirements!
A good example of a music only subwoofer is the 8" subs @MrBoat just finished which would do fine as long as your room is not too large.

If I was in your shoes, I would target my budget for dual subs. The DIY savings should buy the second sub, and it is pretty efficient to make 2 subs!

S

Stuart1992

Audiophyte
Excellent!
Check out the DIY sub-forum (which is more or less a DIY-Sub forum since subs are such a high value diy project)! Give a budget, any size restrictions, whether you are going to use for HT (do you need a LFE subwoofer or just a good solid woofer) to get started and the guys will set you up with a design to fit your requirements!
A good example of a music only subwoofer is the 8" subs @MrBoat just finished which would do fine as long as your room is not too large.

If I was in your shoes, I would target my budget for dual subs. The DIY savings should buy the second sub, and it is pretty efficient to make 2 subs!
Thank you very much :) I will check it out right now

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you very much :) I will check it out right now
The diy sub-forum at avsforum.com can be quite helpful, too. As a carpenter I think you'll do great with a diy project. Duals are especially cost effective if you choose an amp that can handle both well....

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Excellent!

Also working on a pair of (RSS315HF-4) 12's. The 12's are to be the main subs. The 8" are to go with the full range driver project as part of that killer, all Peerless driver system.

Duals, are definitely where the savings are.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis