Subwoofer selection

S

skywalker86

Audiophyte
Got a Yamaha RX-V663 Receiver - just want help in selecting subwoofer to match. what proper specs minimum to maximum for subwoofer to use. rx-v663 specs below image. thanks
Yamaha RX-V663 SPECS3.JPG

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I don’t think there’s a minimum or maximum when it comes to subwoofers.

Have a pick at any of the well reviewed subwoofers out there.

Anything from a small 10” HSU VTF1 to a dual 21” Gjallarhorn sub :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, definitely not criteria used to select a sub. Usually room size, budget and use case is where we start.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Got a Yamaha RX-V663 Receiver - just want help in selecting subwoofer to match. what proper specs minimum to maximum for subwoofer to use. rx-v663 specs below image. thanks
View attachment 32125
I suggest you use the same brand as your front speakers for maximum blend. For eg if you have Rbh speakers then a RBH subwoofer would go well wiith it for seamless sound without localization.

Usually go for a sub which can do something in 20hz or even lower for best impact.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I suggest you use the same brand as your front speakers for maximum blend. For eg if you have Rbh speakers then a RBH subwoofer would go well wiith it for seamless sound without localization.

Usually go for a sub which can do something in 20hz or even lower for best impact.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Matching brands of subs to speakers is just not necessary, and localization, as well as impulse response and “tightness” are a function of integration at the XO and location in the room. However I do agree that if you have RBH speakers there’s no reason not to look at RBH subwoofers. If you have have like or klipsch etc, there’s definitely reason to look outside those brands.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

If that were the case, their would be a lot of home theaters sounding messed up :D. If anything it's usually the opposite. The only systems that I've seen that had to be setup that way were active systems where DSP is linked to each speaker.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The room size is the key for sizing subs. 2 identical subs is ideal but you can buy one and add a second later. Use a RCA Y cable to split the sub preout signal to 2.

Look at HSU Research subs and also at the Monoprice Monolith series for value per doller. These all have excellent reviews from James Larson on Audioholics.

Other good sub companies are SVS and Rythmik but they cost a little more.

Good luck! :)

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I don’t think there’s a minimum or maximum when it comes to subwoofers.

Have a pick at any of the well reviewed subwoofers out there.

Anything from a small 10” HSU VTF1 to a dual 21” Gjallarhorn sub :)
I checked the HSU site, it says the 10" VTF1 is discontinued. Seems they only carry 12" and up. They might have a 10" in warehouse stock but do not make them anymore, check with HSU.

C

CoryW

Audioholic
I picked up a used RBH 1010SEN sub for $200, then installed a pair of 10” reference drivers from RBH. The bottom end with this cabinet is 16hz. Smack it with a beefy amp and my entire house comes alive.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I picked up a used RBH 1010SEN sub for $200, then installed a pair of 10” reference drivers from RBH. The bottom end with this cabinet is 16hz. Smack it with a beefy amp and my entire house comes alive.
Hopefully he calls you to do the same for him..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis