Subwoofer selection help needed. $600 or less

B

barclay02

Audiophyte
I’m looking for recommendations on a subwoofer to fit better fit my home theater room as the current one isn’t cutting it. General preference is for HT, but will listen to music at times.

Room is sealed and rectangular with 2208 cubic feet (23 L x 12 W x 8 H). It is also located in a basement so the floor is concrete with short carpeting over it.

Budget is $600 or less. Suggestions?

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/subwoofers/76061-best-subwoofer-$600.html

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Hsu Research
VTF2-MK4: $549 (12" Ported)
VTF3-MK4: $699 (12" Ported w/larger amp)

Rythmik
FV-12: $499 (12" ported)

Epik
Legend: $499 (dual 12" sealed)

Outlaw
LFM-1 Compact: $479 (10" ported)

For the large space you have id recommend getting the best sub you can afford now with the intentions of saving up to get a second identical sub down the line. You will get more output with 2 & if they are placed properly, you will get smoother bass response across a larger seating area.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Or get dual BIC PL-200 subs for about $500-$575.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Easy recommendation from me :)

Get the Rythmik FV12 - easily my favorite $500-range subwoofer as it reaches a tiny bit lower than the very good HSU VTF-2 MK3/4 (which would be my second choice) and plays cleaner and tighter than anything else in its price range.

Once you've included shipping, you'll have to go a teensey, tiny bit over your $600 budget so that you can get an Auralex GRAMMA isolation riser, which go for $50 over at Amazon or at Sweetwater. On short-pile carpet, you won't get much in the way of decoupling. Having the subwoofer sitting directly on the floor means distortion and structure-borne sound transmission to other rooms in your house or to your neighbors. People mistakenly think that concrete is inert and will "block" sound transmission. NOT TRUE! Concrete will move and transmit sound just like any other type of construction. So decouple your subwoofer for maximum performance inside your theater (reduced rattles, buzzes and lower distortion) and for much happier neighbors and housemates who will be spared the annoying "thump, thump, thump" that is oh so common when it comes to bass!

Enjoy! :D

B

barclay02

Audiophyte
Thanks for the suggestions on some subwoofers. I'm coming to the conclusion that with the increased sizes of some of these subwoofers, placement will be limited. My existing sub is in the front right corner and this is the only corner spot available in the room.

Given the suggestions made so far, the Rythmik FV-12 and Outlaw LFM-1 can fit in to the existing corner space, however, it will be right against the wall...not sure if that matters. If I were to go with any of the bigger subs the only other placement options would be against the back wall behind my sofa or against the right side wall.

What are the thoughts on the placement to the side or to the rear? If needed, I have considered upgrading to a larger sub such as the Epik Empire, Outlaw LFM-1 EX, or Rythmik VTF-15H, but only if it would net gains over the smaller subs in the corner.

55katest55

Audioholic
Wait until the LFM-1 EX goes on sale (frequently) and buy it! On sale they are $549. Or you can buy B-stock for $574.

B

barclay02

Audiophyte
Yes, I do like the Outlaw LFM-1 EX, but with the size it would have to be against the back wall (behind the sofa) or against a sidewall. Is that a problem? Or should I stick with the smaller Rythmik FV-12 or Outlaw LFM-1 and keep in the corner.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I've been looking at subs as well. With the Epik it's basically plug and play. If your like me, and not a huge tweaker, this may be a good sub for you to try.

$499.00

Welcome to Epik Subwoofers

B

barclay02

Audiophyte
Given their shorter depths the two front runners for me now are

Rythmik FV-12
Epik Legend

These would allow me to keep a corner placement, however, there won't be much clearance to the walls and I'm wondering if this is a problem for either one. Otherwise, would one be better than the other?

55katest55

Audioholic
Yes, I do like the Outlaw LFM-1 EX, but with the size it would have to be against the back wall (behind the sofa) or against a sidewall. Is that a problem? Or should I stick with the smaller Rythmik FV-12 or Outlaw LFM-1 and keep in the corner.
The nice thing about the LFM-1 EX and Plus is that they have down firing ports and woofer which makes placement pretty much a non-issue. Plus i loooove the look of the EX.

If you want to choose between those two you stated above, go with the Rythmik. I hear Epik has amp/CS issues (look at the owners thread at AVS).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am pretty sure the Legend amp issues were the early ones and that is already resolved. You will want about a foot of clearance from the woofer to the wall if you went with the Legend.

In my experience, down firing vs front firing makes only a small difference, so I wouldn't use that as a criteria.

55katest55

Audioholic
I am pretty sure the Legend amp issues were the early ones and that is already resolved. You will want about a foot of clearance from the woofer to the wall if you went with the Legend.

In my experience, down firing vs front firing makes only a small difference, so I wouldn't use that as a criteria.
I think they switched the Legend and/or Empire amps again and are having problems again though. :/

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Haven't had an issue with the amp in my Empire thus far. >knocks on wood< :)

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
The Outlaw LFM-1 EX has my vote for you!! Read the review. If its anything like the HSU version then its killer. (its designed by HSU)

Second choice would be the Rythmik.

Id even look into the new EMPtek ES1010i. If space is an issue it could be a viable option. Plus you could be one of the first members to own & review it!!
Sounds like it doesnt have much below 30hz but is extremely capable above that. But with corner placement you would get better extension. Plus the look & finish is incredible so if your WAF is an issue then it would be your best looking IMO. Hey dual 10" co-located could do some damage in the right room.

Decisions decisions......eh just get a VTF-15h & be done with it!!
Haha, Just joking! :)

(or am i?...)

B

barclay02

Audiophyte
You will want about a foot of clearance from the woofer to the wall if you went with the Legend.
To confirm, placement near a wall is not a problem for the Rythmik FV-12?

Given the distance requirement and possible amp issues the Legend may not be for me.

55katest55

Audioholic
To confirm, placement near a wall is not a problem for the Rythmik FV-12?

Given the distance requirement and possible amp issues the Legend may not be for me.
for the FV12 it doesnt matter as long as there is some space in front of it (driver and port are in front).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis