Subwoofer Review Help Needed

A

AMG_Roadster

Junior Audioholic
The plan would be to go audtion the sub before purchasing. Even if the sub is not setup correctly I should get a decent idea of its strengths and weaknesses and whether I think it will fit in my setup (both sound & looks wise).

Once those questions are answered I can worry about the price.

S

Steve42

Audioholic
Sounds good.
I have always been one to want to know how a sub (and speakers in general) sound in my room. Subwoofers that are not setup correctly in rooms other than my own can sound dramatically different. Over the years I have proved this to myself time and time again. I actually do have a dealer that has a MKV-15 setup in a demo room and it sounds like Cr*p. Sounds decent for HT, but nothing close to like it sounds for music in my room. It's not EQ'd and you can tell! I'm sure he has several standing waves by the way it sounds to me.

EDIT: Remember that the MKV-15's can be hard to dial in as has been already mentioned. More than anything, that means that it would be easy for a dealer to screw it up. People I think are a little too paranoid about the difficulty in setting up the MKV-15. You should take time to properly setup any sub. I think where the confusion is that when people place them in the corners the MKV-15 really can get LOUD, so you just have to calibrate accordingly. Placing the sub with the PR facing the corner is best for music and movies if you are going to place it in a corner. I personally felt it sounded best away from the corner. It still puts out amazing SPL while sounding tight as a drum for music. It will be different in every single room, but this is not peculiar to the MKV-15, it's true for ALL subs. Testing in ones room is always the best no mater what speakers you try.

Anyway, from what I hear from people around the internet, they are mostly sold by custom installers though. So good luck finding a BM dealer who has a demo.

Last edited:
A

AMG_Roadster

Junior Audioholic
I knew that properly setting up the sub made a difference but did not realize we were talking about such a dramatic difference.

I agree that I would much prefer hearing speakers in my room with my equipment before purchasing just not sure if that opportunity will present itself with the Earthquake.

The difficulty in setting up this sub is one of my concerns. I have very limited placement options in my room. I plan on getting a BFD (or is it BFE?) to be able to eq the sub. Not sure how much this will comensate for any issues that are created due to sub placement.

S

Steve42

Audioholic
The MKV-15 can be setup properly in any room, I'm just saying it's more difficult than others I have used (and would be easy to have screwed up in a dealers demo room). Lets put it this way I also have limited placement issues. I have to have mine placed directly behind me, in the "near-field position only a few feet away. But after proper setup and tweaking, it blends seamlessly with my mains crossed over at 80Hz. If using a BFD, you will be fine.

A

AMG_Roadster

Junior Audioholic
Thanks Steve for all the good info.

I have very limited experiences in setting up subwoofers so was a bit concerned with the mention of the difficulty in setting it up properly.

S

Steve42

Audioholic
Glad to help AMG. One thing you will also find with the MKV-15 is that the orientation of it in the same location can make a big difference. Say if you have it placed so that the Passive radiator is facing a wall, it will reinforce the bass much more compared to if you have it turned 90 degress so the amp is facing the wall and both drivers are perpindicular to the wall. Btw, this is how I have mine positioned and it sounds excellent for music and movies.

And if you are going to place it in a corner, Earthquake will recommend facing the PR toward the corner where the two walls meet to optomize it for music. Iv'e tried it and it does work well. While still sounding excellent for movies.

Keep this is mind, patience is key. As with many things, good things can come through a little work and patience.

Last edited:
A

AMG_Roadster

Junior Audioholic
Talked with Earthquake today. No dealer in my area. They gave me the number to a dealer in near their offices. Have not yet called.

S

Steve42

Audioholic
Just in case he can't get you a good deal from the other dealer, I PM'd you the dealer I used who has been a dealer for EQ for years and he excellent to deal with.

Good Luck!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis