Subwoofer Recommendation under $600 & $1000

R

rnaeye

Junior Audioholic
Hi,
I am a beginner. I am seeking help for choosing a subwoofer for my slowly growing HT system.
I currently have two Polk S55 floor speaker, a Sony central speaker (this will be replaced with Polk soon), and two Sony surround speakers. Could anyone recommend a couple of subwoofers, which are under $600 and $1000. My budget will be between 600 - 1000 but not sure yet. I do fifty percent music and fifty percent movies. Thank you.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How large a room? Is it sealed or open to other areas? Is box size or finish a big concern (particularly for WAF)?

There's a few ways to go with your budget. First, have you considered DIY to use the money more effectively (not your time, that's gonna have to be free :) ). Two good $500 subs can be pretty good these days, look at the SVS, Hsu and Rythmik subs in that price range for a start. Or some prefer to start maybe with the $1000 sub and then save up for another. A single sub may work well, but in my rooms I've found I like multiple better.

R

rnaeye

Junior Audioholic
My room is in the basement (not perfect rectangle, see at the bottom). Ceiling is wood, walls are finished dry-wall. Few doors to furnace room, bathroom, etc. but I keep them closed. Since it's the basement, I do not care about the size or the finish or the look of subwoofer. I just want it to sound good, and loud enough. No nearby neighbors to bother. Perhaps I would go with single sub, and second after couple of years, if I decide to do that.

Dimensions from the widest point:
Height: 8.6 ft
Width: 18 ft
Length: 27 ft.
See the attachment, I tried to draw my room :). Thanks.

Attachments

B

Brettc

Audioholic
Have you looked at the Daytons at part express ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'd consider HSU, as the value to performance is pretty high.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you can handle a large sub, look at Hsu, Outlaw Audio, SVS, and Monoprice Monolith. If you need a smaller sub, those manufacturers have some medium sized offerings, and also look at MartinLogan and Paradigm Defiance X series. I have spent some time with the Paradigm Defiance X12 recently, and it is very punchy for it size, although it is just a tad over your budget.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
HSU recommendations are spot on. Take a look at Rythmik as well. I have the F12 and am happy with it

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Thinking the HSU VTF2 or VTF3 are the ones you should look at. Good luck! :)

R

rnaeye

Junior Audioholic
Hi all (again after long time),
Based on my budget and recommendations I narrowed down my choices. The idea is to buy one now and save up for second sub. I do not want to spend more than $600-700. Half music listening half movies. Here they are:

1) HSU VTF-2 MK5 ($607):
Low end extension-->18 Hz Ported, 22 Hz Ported or Sealed
Crossover:30 - 90 Hz, Bypassable

2) Rythmik LV12F ($599):
Frequency Response: 19 Hz - 300 Hz (+/- 2dB)
Crossover Range (Low Pass): Continuously variable 40 - 120 Hz

3) Outlaw Ultra-X12 ($679):
Frequency Response:
25Hz -180Hz +/- 2 dB w/o Port Plug
17Hz -180Hz +/-2dB w/ one port plugged

Room: My room is not a regular rectangle or square room. It's about 3100-4000 sq ft3 with 1/3 full of furnitures etc. It has finished dry walls. Ceiling is with wood rafters and hardwood. Floor is Laminate floor on Dry-core material. Ceiling height is 8.6 feet.

Question 1) Any recommendations among these three subs.
Question 2) How someone decides what should be the lower end extension based on the other speakers in the system. For instance, my front speaker specss says, 32 Hz → 40000 Hz (see my signature). Does this mean that buying a subwoofer with lowest frequency end of 32 Hz will be a meaningless purchase? Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Based on my budget and recommendations I narrowed down my choices. The idea is to buy one now and save up for second sub. I do not want to spend more than $600-700. Half music listening half movies. Here they are:

1) HSU VTF-2 MK5 ($607):

2) Rythmik LV12F ($599):

Frequency Response:

Room: My room is not a regular rectangle or square room. It's about 3100-4000 sq ft3 with 1/3 full of furnitures etc. It has finished dry walls. Ceiling is with wood rafters and hardwood. Floor is Laminate floor on Dry-core material. Ceiling height is 8.6 feet.

Question 2) How someone decides what should be the lower end extension based on the other speakers in the system. For instance, my front speaker specss says, 32 Hz → 40000 Hz (see my signature). Does this mean that buying a subwoofer with lowest frequency end of 32 Hz will be a meaningless purchase? Am I missing something here?

Thanks.
They are basically a toss up with, I haven't seen 3rd party specs on the Rythmik so I'd probably choose one of the other two with the HSU first, not that the Rythmik is less, just haven't seen a review with proper measurements.

You front speakers may have a claimed response of 32hz, but at what level? Can promise that the subs will do better thru the sub 1500hz region.I'd cross the between 80 and 125hz depending on placement and the room.

Edit: after looking at your mains I doubt that they are +-3db at 32hz but probably are at their F10, 10db down

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

1) HSU VTF-2 MK5 ($607):

2) Rythmik LV12F ($599):

Frequency Response:

Thanks.
My guess is that the Hsu and Outlaw subs will hit a bit harder because the drivers are a bit more robust. The Outlaw does cost a bit more than 679 when shipping is factored I believe. Regardless of whatever your speakers are specified at, just use a crossover point between 60 to 100 Hz. Experiment with different crossover points in that range to see what sounds best to you.

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
If you're not in a rush the Outlaw X12 frequently goes on sale for $500-$579 with free shipping. You could get 2 for $1000-$1160 (free shipping) if you're patient.

Or Dual HSU VTF-2 MK5's for $1165 (shipped)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis