Subwoofer recommendation for my room?

B

buz914

Audiophyte
I know this is asked like every third day, but here's my turn.

Living room that opens into dining/kitchen area total volume is ~8000 ft3
This is not a dedicated theater room, just trying to make due with what I have.​

Considering the following:

PSA V1812 Can't find much info on these?
$1600

HSU VTF-3MK5HP Everyone loves them, seems like a bargain?
2 for $1550 Benefit of having two for balance?

Monolith 15 Ultra Gets lots of love, but are big!
$1280

Please advise!

Thanks.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
If you are trying to satisfy more than a single set of ears, you should get more than one subwoofer. Bass waves are measured in dozens of feet, and when you produce them between parallel walls you end up with high and low pressure areas(standing waves), just across the seats of a couch.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might even take more than two depending where the subs/seats are in relation to each other but I'd start with at least duals; the Hsu is an excellent value (and aren't all that much smaller than the Monolith either).

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Dual VTF3 is my vote. You’ll probably be near at least one of them and being near field helps. (Unless you are in the kitchen). :)

I’m not clear if VTF15 has a lot more output than VTF3 for low end with its larger cabinet, but @shadyJ would be the one to ask if you are curious.

Good luck! :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Dual VTF3 is my vote. You’ll probably be near at least one of them and being near field helps. (Unless you are in the kitchen). :)

I’m not clear if VTF15 has a lot more output than VTF3 for low end with its larger cabinet, but @shadyJ would be the one to ask if you are curious.

The cabinet and ports affect the tuning of the Sub, not the output, as I understand things. The VTF 3 and VTF15 subs use the same Amp and Driver, according to Hsu's site.
This is not to say that there will not be some subtle differences in output, as extension will (IIRC) lessen the output a little, but in this case, the numbers show that it is still quite a monster.
Anything to clarify, Shady? ;)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Normally in 8000 cu ft, people will recommend something with a lot of output but unclear if you want really big subs or if you want a lot of bass. I think @Danzilla31 had a space that size before with SVS PB4000 dual subs. I’m not sure if his new room is smaller.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You always want duals is you can especially in a room that size of open volume.

You also want the BEST sub you can start with and then get a second one later don't want to have upgraditis later

Soooooo what is your max budget your willing to spend knowing that will help

Also what are your listening habits lots of movies games streaming or more music if you want the right sub for movies in that room size going big and ported is the best way can't get around the law of physics

So knowing your budget listening habits and any restrictions such as a wife Lol would be helpful to us before we recommend

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

The cabinet and ports affect the tuning of the Sub, not the output, as I understand things. The VTF 3 and VTF15 subs use the same Amp and Driver, according to Hsu's site.
This is not to say that there will not be some subtle differences in output, as extension will (IIRC) lessen the output a little, but in this case, the numbers show that it is still quite a monster.
Anything to clarify, Shady? ;)
The larger cabinet and ports make the VTF15h mk2 extend deeper and also give it a bit more efficiency at the low end. The larger ports also allow to to play at higher levels without port turbulence. Another difference between the VTF15h mk2 and VTF-3 mk5 is that the VTF15h mk2 also has XLR inputs.

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
PSA V1812
This is the correct answer.

PSA is known for it's mid-bass slam, amazing customer service and Tom V ( the V in SVS) tries to keep all components sourced and assembled in the United States for great QC and he has a 5 year warranty on the driver and electronics.

With a room that big you would definitely need two subs.

Unfortunately you missed out on the V1812 Pre-order discount.

Good News is there will be a lot of subs traded in soon.

I would email PSA customer service and ask what do they currently have in b-stock or just to keep you in the loop on future trade ins.
Also you should subscribe to the PSA owners thread as many will be getting their new subs and posting REW results ( I'm waiting on my V1512)

B

buz914

Audiophyte
Are the PSA sub's a new design? Have not followed them. Is that why there is not any test results online for them?

They are interesting, I could get one and add another later on.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Are the PSA sub's a new design? Have not followed them. Is that why there is not any test results online for them?

PSA generally doesn't go for third party testing. It's not likely to compete with a dual VTF-3 mk5 system anyway.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Sounds like the V1812 is a new design if you just missed out on the pre-order thing....haven't followed them for a while not sure what the 12 refers to now. A couple other models have been tested at data-bass.com, tho.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis