Subwoofer RCA jack color????

D

Dadztoy

Audiophyte
Does the subwoofer jack, RCA, have a specific color?? We are installing a new home system and after a little research, I see nothing as to a color for this, as the speaker, comp video and so on, has.

Mike

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
The only reason any jack or cable end has a specific color is to help keep the end user from plugging the wrong things together.:D

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The subwoofer pre-out on the receiver should be Purple if the manufacturer follows the THX color coding guidelines. The input on the subwoofer itself is rarely color coded.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
My recevier has a black one...

Purple's a fruit.

SheepStar

D

Dadztoy

Audiophyte
color.........

I just got a reply back from Polk........ PURPLE it is......... thanks.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
I have to ask...

Why would this possibly matter?

Just curious..:confused:

J

JES14

Audioholic
Purple has lower bass then black, red or white are for high frequencies....;)

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
hemiram said:
I have to ask...

Why would this possibly matter?

Just curious..:confused:
JoeE SP9 said it perfectly: The only reason any jack or cable end has a specific color is to help keep the end user from plugging the wrong things together.. Conventions like color coding make it easier on humans to identify at a glance how things are connected - nothing more, nothing less. Obviously the signal doesn't know nor care about the color of the jack or cable.

It's the same reason the PS/2 connector for your keyboard is purple and the connector for the mouse is green...

JKnPA

JKnPA

Junior Audioholic
Colors............

MDS said:
JoeE SP9 said it perfectly: The only reason any jack or cable end has a specific color is to help keep the end user from plugging the wrong things together.. Conventions like color coding make it easier on humans to identify at a glance how things are connected - nothing more, nothing less. Obviously the signal doesn't know nor care about the color of the jack or cable.

It's the same reason the PS/2 connector for your keyboard is purple and the connector for the mouse is green...
Color codes are very convenient.....unless you are color blind!....:rolleyes:
My 'sub out' appears 'Red'........but maybe its really'Purple'.....:confused:

Jk.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, or you could just read...

I long for the day when I can just throw my cables at my receiver and have it grab them with a tractor beam, and plug everything in for me.

We live a rough life.

SheepStar

JKnPA

JKnPA

Junior Audioholic
Read.................

Sheep said:
Yeah, or you could just read...

SheepStar
I was going to say that Sheep, but I didn't want to hurt anybody's
feelings.................... ;)
My jack says ' subwoofer'....... Denon didn't use any purple jacks on my receiver, maybe they ran out of that color.............:confused:

What is a 'tractor beam'? Is that like a 'wormhole'?.............:confused:

JK.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
MDS said:
Funny... my Mac doesn't have any color coding for the keyboard and mouse connector. In fact, it doesn't even have a PS/2 connector... :D -TD

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
tomd51 said:
Funny... my Mac doesn't have any color coding for the keyboard and mouse connector. In fact, it doesn't even have a PS/2 connector... :D -TD
I guess you're part of the 2% if the population that uses a Mac and have never seen the wonderful PS/2 connector. :) [Note that is NOT the Playstation 2 - it first appeared on IBM's PS/2 computers]. Fortunately, most peripheral devices can now use USB but we lose the color coding.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
I wish that were the case MDS, however being in the IT industry, that's just not possible. And you're probably right to clarify the difference BTW the PS/2 and PlayStation2. Some of the younger generation may never know what a PS/2 connector is... :) -TD

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Yes my clarification was for the younger guys for whom ps/2 means something entirely different than it means to you and I.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis