P

paulkeck123

Audiophyte
so i recently installed a subwoofer into my car and everytime i turn the volume to about 15 out of 30 it would make a wierd rattling noise. i checked the enclosure (not ported) for loose wood that can cause it but no luck. i can tell the noise is coming out othe dust cap so, could it be the voice coil? also theres a little extra wire touching the bottom of the box from when i wired the sub. i thought that could be the problem but i taped it to the side so it stayed in place and i could still hear the noise

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
so i recently installed a subwoofer into my car and everytime i turn the volume to about 15 out of 30 it would make a wierd rattling noise. i checked the enclosure (not ported) for loose wood that can cause it but no luck. i can tell the noise is coming out othe dust cap so, could it be the voice coil? also theres a little extra wire touching the bottom of the box from when i wired the sub. i thought that could be the problem but i taped it to the side so it stayed in place and i could still hear the noise
Is the enclosure the correct volume (cubic ft) for the sub? Did you set the gain correctly on the amp?

P

paulkeck123

Audiophyte
Is the enclosure the correct volume (cubic ft) for the sub? Did you set the gain correctly on the amp?
ya i just had my friend do that because he said he knew how but seeing how i had to fix the crappy wiring he did, the gain could definitly be the problem. should i just look up a video about how to set the gain correctly?

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
ya i just had my friend do that because he said he knew how but seeing how i had to fix the crappy wiring he did, the gain could definitly be the problem. should i just look up a video about how to set the gain correctly?
Look up a video, itl make more sense than me lol.
Essentially your going to turn the gain all the way down. Next your going to turn the radio up to a volume a little higher than your preferred listening level, with volume at that level you will turn the gain up slowly on the amp, when the sub 'bumps, rattles, distorts' (you'll easily tell) turn the gain back down till it stops.
Some people will set the volume too high while doing this, in my experience it's a bad thing for normal listening levels.

P

paulkeck123

Audiophyte
Look up a video, itl make more sense than me lol.
Essentially your going to turn the gain all the way down. Next your going to turn the radio up to a volume a little higher than your preferred listening level, with volume at that level you will turn the gain up slowly on the amp, when the sub 'bumps, rattles, distorts' (you'll easily tell) turn the gain back down till it stops.
Some people will set the volume too high while doing this, in my experience it's a bad thing for normal listening levels.
ok ill try that. thnx so much for the help

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis