V

vnicastro

Audiophyte
I currently have a 7.1 steup with a denon reciever and 7 8 inch inwall russound speakers to go along with an 61 inch Samsung DLP. The problem is my 175 watt AR subwoofer. sometimes it sounds fine but any boost in bass and the rattle is terrible The crossover Freq. is set at 80 mghz from the reciever. I have the speakers set to large. The crossover and volume knobs on the back of the sub are set very low ( around 1/4). What gives? Do I need a larger sub? this is a fairly new problem. The sub is approx 5 years old. Other than that the system sounds truly unbelievable. Any help is greatly appreciated

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
vnicastro said:
I currently have a 7.1 steup with a denon reciever and 7 8 inch inwall russound speakers to go along with an 61 inch Samsung DLP. The problem is my 175 watt AR subwoofer. sometimes it sounds fine but any boost in bass and the rattle is terrible The crossover Freq. is set at 80 mghz from the reciever. I have the speakers set to large. The crossover and volume knobs on the back of the sub are set very low ( around 1/4). What gives? Do I need a larger sub? this is a fairly new problem. The sub is approx 5 years old. Other than that the system sounds truly unbelievable. Any help is greatly appreciated
Most of the advice around here is to set the speakers to small. Have you tried moving the sub or level matching it with a spl meter?

wilmeland

wilmeland

Audioholic Intern
hate to suggest bad news

"this is a fairly new problem. The sub is approx 5 years old."

I hope I'm wrong, but this sounds to me like a driver failure. Low levels ok, but higher levels rattle? I've experienced this with older woofers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis