Subwoofer positioning in bedroom

N

Nostromo

Junior Audioholic
Moved to correct thread. Sorry, I am still a newbie to these forums.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Subwoofer placement in the front of the room is the most common and usually results in the best blending with the main speakers and center channel and minimizes localization effects. Bass is omni-directional. View attachment 31911
This is a dogmatic approach. It can work in certain situations, but it is not guaranteed to work always. Every room has its own acoustics. For a single sub in a small room, if given the opportunity to do the subwoofer crawl, I would recommend that over any of those specs any day. :)
What is most important is that in your LP, you are getting the best bass response you can. Whether 1 or 2 subs, a bedroom LP is most likely against a wall, not ideally located in the inner 3/5 from left to right or front to back.
Your Room's acoustics will tell you what is best if you open yourself up to that! This also works for placing 2 or 3 subs in a HT room, too!

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have a single sub. It's in the front left corner relative to mains. I crossover mains at 60HZ, which otherwise would get into the 35 Hz arena. Center and surround channels crossover at 80 Hz. In this scheme bass is not localized as coming from front left. Maybe I just got lucky since the sub has been in its initial
48837700336_201e0f16d6_k.jpg
position since I installed it back in 1986.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Solving for room acoustics is always our biggest challenge. :) I wish it were more simple and straightforward. But then again, I also always felt that passing High School Physics should be required before being allowed to drive a car... so maybe I already had a leg up in the acoustics field when I was in Music School and now. :cool:

By no means am I suggesting that corner loading is always wrong, but if I followed the standard advice I would have a low frequency nightmare in my room.

When it comes to OP's initial question, having the Sub on the far wall from the LP is usually a bad call. In most instances I've seen, people whose LP is on the back wall have very bad acoustic issues to contend with. As I have been considering adding a bedroom system, the thing I keep coming to is looking at building a unit for under the bed, or two smaller units that could serve as end tables. I think nearfield bass in the bedroom is a good solution considering many factors: placement of LP in room, desired volume level, size of Subwoofers... and also if one has close neighbors, how your system may impact them.

Just food for thought and further conversation. :)

N

Nostromo

Junior Audioholic
As I have been considering adding a bedroom system, the thing I keep coming to is looking at building a unit for under the bed, or two smaller units that could serve as end tables.
I'm afraid if I suggested placing the subwoofer under the bed to SWMBO, that's where I - and not the subwoofer - would end-up :eek:.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm afraid if I suggested placing the subwoofer under the bed to SWMBO, that's where I - and not the subwoofer - would end-up :eek:.
Tell her it's not the meat, it's the motion. You'd think she'd actually prefer it out of sight, tho, eh? There are some low profile subs out there, too....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis