Subwoofer Placement

J

jeffvee

Audioholic
Is there really an ideal place to put the subwoofer? My sub is the JBL L8400. It does not have any firing ports. They must be inside. Should it be facing a wall , facing the tv , by the tv facing the audience, or somewhere else?

Thanks

droeses58

droeses58

Audioholic
It sounds to me like you have a "sealed" sub, so I believe placement is a little easier because you don't have to worry about the "boomy" effect as much as you would with a ported design.

Usually one of the better places to put it would be near the front left / right speakers. If this is not an option, it has been suggested to set the sub right were you sit [chair, couch etc.] then play some heavy bass, get on your hands and knees and crawl around until you find a place it sounds the best and place the sub their.

Hope this helps.

Naves74

Naves74

Junior Audioholic
droeses58 said:
It sounds to me like you have a "sealed" sub, so I believe placement is a little easier because you don't have to worry about the "boomy" effect as much as you would with a ported design.

Usually one of the better places to put it would be near the front left / right speakers. If this is not an option, it has been suggested to set the sub right were you sit [chair, couch etc.] then play some heavy bass, get on your hands and knees and crawl around until you find a place it sounds the best and place the sub their.

Hope this helps.

Yea I first had my sub between my right front and center and wasn't to happy with it so I tried the "listen and crawl" technique and you will be amazed with the results the sound is astronmically better.

One word of caution though if you do this and you girl friend walks in and you are crawling on the floor get ready to answer some questions on why the couch is on the front porch and you are crawling on the floor. LOL

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis